What's new

The Headblade

I've been a headblader for two years now. I get the same results with a Mach 3, but find it much more comfortable and faster to use HB. It's moderately good at face shaving if you flip the blade around and use it like a traditional razor. The only problem being the bulk of the razor makes it a little tricky to get this hard to reach areas. Interestingly enough the Classic HB (without the wheels) seems to give me a closer shave but breaks sooner. You can use Atra blades or HB's own branded blades. I wish HB's triples where a little less expensive, but I try to stretch their life by using 'save-a-blade' and rubbing alcohol.

If you shave your head and haven't given the headblade a try, you owe it to yourself to do so. I wouldn't give up mine for a hundred mach 3's.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I have been shaving my head for over 10 years, and I am a bit leery of this thing. 1st of all, my hair is very thick, and it grows fast. 3 days of growth clogs up M3's, and even Fusions sometimes. Those chintzy little 2-bladers don't stand a chance. I may give it a try, but with a M3 I can get my head done in under 3 min., depending on if I want to lather properly. I f I'm in a rush I use the Aeroglop. I'll post a review if I do use it.
Price: It came with some blades. Not a bad price considering what a package of cartridges cost.

Quality: It's plastic.

Performance: It does a fairly good job if you follow the instructions, which are about the same as DE shaving. Using the can of aerosol slop does not yield the best results. Head Slick (available at Walgreens) is what the the manufacturer recommends. Head Slick does a much better job than the aeroslop, but I've found that Proraso does a much, much better job. I get the best results using it in the shower.

Usefulness: It's quick, but it's difficult to get the hair around the ears. The blades clog with hair if you are using it for more than a couple of days worth of growth.

Packaging: It came in the hated plastic clamshell packaging. The good thing was that it came with a good set of instructions.

Durability: The wheels fell off mine. I tried jamming the wheel back on the axle, but no luck. Fortunately, it still works well without the wheels.
As my title says, I have a love/hate relationship with this thing. The problem for me is that my head isn't exactly shaped like a balloon, it has what I call 'character'. There are times when this thing is cruising over my head that it will hit a road block and cut me pretty good.

You really need to experiment with this as well. Use ALL the various cartridges you can and find the one that works best. For example, for me the best one is the Sensor 3 cartridge while other people like the Atra cartridges that I found eat my head.

You also need to modify your technique to match... Most will say take it slow, if I do that I get a cut every time. I have to go in turbo mode to yield the best results, which means I'm basically running my hand over my head rather quickly, how it cuts anything I don't know, but it does... and does it well.

Every time I put this thing away 'for life' I go back to shaving with a regular 'stick' razor only to remember how fast and efficient this thing is, and once again try it for a couple more weeks until one day, sure enough I take a nice 1/4" section off my scalp again.

For 70% of head shavers, this is a dream come true.
For 10 % of head shavers, this is your worst nightmare.
For the remaining 20%, toss a coin.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I have one of these, bought it just before I started with DE shaving. The idea is great however, I just don't like cartridge blades. They are expensive, poor quality and clog up. I too must throw cartridges away before they are dull just because they clog up with hair. The idea is great so, usefulness got higher marks but its just not worth the cost. BTW, the shaving cream is a perfect ten :w00t:
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
3.00 star(s)
Performance
2.00 star(s)
I bought one of these when they first came out several years ago. At the time I was using a Mach 3. I've been shaving my head for over 10 years now, and I've tried all sorts of shaving techniques and gadgets. This razor DID work, but it didn't work any better than the Mach 3 I was already using, so all it really spelled out in the long run was another set of blades I had to buy. Eventually I got tired of using 2 different razors, and went back to using the Mach 3. I have since switched to using a DE on my face and head, and will never go back. I would be using a straight razor, but it's a little difficult to shave ones own head with one. The DE safety razor, with a combination of good quality cream and a badger brush, has definitely given my head (and my face) the best shave it's ever had(without going to a barber).
when used just right, the headblade will do a great job.... however, many people have had mediocre or even disastrous experiences with it... ironically, some of the same essentials for DE shaving make the Headblade effective namely

1. apply no pressure....ever!
2. shave cream is key- lots of water, lots of lubrication, keep it wet and don't use anything gunky.

that being said, the Headblade is a great product for some people- IF you use it just right. I knocked down 'packaging' because of late the company has this weird macho thing going on, with bodybuilder endorsements and a comedy tour. I personally find this kind of off-putting.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
3.00 star(s)
I've been a Headblader for over three years now. I used one the first time I shaved my head, in fact, which I think might be why I like it so much better than the original reviewer.

The Headblade involves a different mindset about shaving. Yes, the blade is in front, so you're pushing it instead of pulling it. But like all tools, it works better when you use it the way it was intended to be used. This means that you have to let the design work for you, not against you. I think this is where some people get tripped up, because they already have a notion of how to approach shaving parts of their head they can't easily reach (the thought of trying a DE back there makes me shudder, but I know there are people who do exactly that).

The Headblade works quite well for me, with one exception: I still have a small stock of the original Atra-style blades, not the newer 3-blade cartridges (which use a different adapter -- I'll probably buy those when I run out of my current supply). The Atra-style blades clog up with whiskers, and unlike a Sensor or Mach 3 blade there's no way for water to rinse between the blades, so I'll end up throwing out blades before they're dulled because they've become clogged up.

Aside from that, it's a great little simple gadget. I got the hang of it very quickly -- the trick is to put basically no pressure on the back and let the forward motion be enough to keep the front down. You don't exactly lift up on the front, but if you do put pressure in front it's likely to dive and nick you. With light, long strokes it glides and cuts just the hairs.

I shave the top and back with the Headblade, and the sides (right above my ears) and my face with a Mach 3. With both I manage to shave my whole head and face with two passes in about fifteen minutes, not including lather prep. I do often have to make a third -- or even fourth -- pass in back, but I've found that quick passes work much better than trying to be perfect the first time, and those last passes go fast. Since I can't see what I'm doing anyway it's easier to lather up again than it would be to patch up the nicks.

The packaging stinks, though. When I went to buy mine I knew the store had them and it still took me fifteen minutes to find, sitting on the bottom shelf next to some creams instead of hanging next to the other razors. If you don't know exactly where to look you'll never see it. It might be less frustrating just to order one online, even though they're much more available now than they were when I bought mine. Price seems high for a molded piece of plastic, but it's a funky rubbery plastic and satisfying to hold.

If you're thinking of shaving your head but you haven't done it yet, I recommend going straight to the Headblade. If you've already developed a razor technique that works for you, it might be worth trying but remember that you have to adapt to the tool and not the other way around.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
The following is text taken from the Headblade.com...

HeadBlade Sport brings headshaving to a whole new level. Modeled after the hugely popular Limited Edition S4 (3,000 units made/sold for $75) the HeadBlade Sport comes standard with wheels AND triple blade technology. Put this thing on your rock and let it roll.

proxy.php

I think i paid...12 dollars for this thing at target. It fits in your hand like a computer mouse, with the plastic ring passing through your ring finger

proxy.php

Apparently the Blueman group loves the HeadBlade!

This thing is very awkward to use and forces you to forget everything you have learned about shaving. The razor cartridge is positioned backward, so you are pushing the blades forward...kinda like a train with a cattle guard...
I gave on this little razor after a week, and every time i used it I was always going back and getting the patches of hair i missed with my standard razor.
Its still in pristine condition due to lack of use

proxy.php

Justin
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness