What's new

The Body Shop synthetic shaving brush

Item Description

The Body Shop makes a synthetic brush which retails for about $10, and isn't all that bad, although clearly you shouldn't expect miracles from a brush this cheap. I should mention that the brush I have here is the one that The Body Shop introduced somewhere in 2007. The model they had before that had all-white hairs and a black ring at the base of the hairs, and was by all accounts a bad brush. I don't know what the models before that one were like. Now that is out of the way, on to the review.

displayimage.php

Like most synthetic brushes (besides the Omega Sintex and the Culmak) the hairs are wavy, which keeps them from clenching together when wet, and presumably also helps a little bit in holding more water. Speaking of water, it does hold some water but like most synthetics it will quickly release the water it holds, and you will not get the continuous automatic water adding you'd get from a soaked badger brush. It does build lather though, and not bad lather either.
displayimage.php

There's roughly five minutes between taking the brush out of my bowl and taking the picture, because it took a little hunting for that piece of fabric I had for the background of the other two pics. And it wasn't until I'd cleaned the brush and put everything away that I noticed that the shots I wanted to use were a bit overexposed, so only the top-down shot looked okay. Still, you should get the idea, the lather is just fine, but you need to add a bit of water while you're lathering to compensate for the fact that the synthetic hairs don't absorb any water.

When it comes to applying the lather to your face you'll definitely notice how springy the hairs are. You can mash the brush into your face with some force to make the hairs separate, but you'll only end up with a small amount of lather where you're brush has gone, and you'll have to apply the lather with a painting motion to get a bit more coverage.

If you enjoy lathering directly on your face, this brush will probably not suit you. And perhaps the stiffness isn't for everyone, but if I had to choose between this brush, and the more floppy Omega Sintex, I'd pick this one. Mainly for the softness of the tips.

I haven't mentioned the handle yet. The handle is nice enough, the Russian birch certainly looks good, but has a stupid little design flaw. The handle is wooden and coated with something to keep the water out, however the base of the handle is angled which means that the coating along the edge of the base rather quickly wears away (or at least did on my brush). In turn this means moisture can get under the coating of the rest of the base, you can see the result in this picture (the chip that's out of the coating is my doing).

displayimage.php

It doesn't seem to have affected the wood any though, so I'm not particularly concerned. If you have this brush and are concerned, I'm sure that sanding down the edge and covering the wood that you've exposed while sanding with something like super glue would solve the problem quite easily.

Overall, quite a nice little brush.

To discuss this review, click here.

Latest reviews

Pros: Cheap, efficient, very soft tips
Cons: Initially very high level of backbone, apparent finish weakness
WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Body Shop Synthetic Shave Brush - A shave brush, designed to build and apply lather to your boat race. Doesn't get any more complicated than that.

proxy.php

proxy.php

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
As with any brush, it's a case of dampen, load with soap cream and whip. I found with this brush, you have to work creams a little more to get a satisfactory lather. With soaps less so.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
Well, I've used it every day for 7 days now, and my findings changed from beginning to end. Day 1 the brush had ridiculous amounts of backbone, almost too much. The tips have been super soft since day 1. As time went by, the bristles seemed to 'give' a little, resulting in a much more pleasant lather application. I can't say at this point if I prefer bowl or face lathering with the brush, as it seems equally at home with either. What I can 100% say about this brush is that it is efficient. Teutonic efficient. Like BMW/Mercedes/Audi, it does exactly what it should do and does it well with no fuss. It always lays down an even coat of lather regardless of application method (bowl or face). It rinses easily, and dries with no fuss. A good synthetic brush to break into the synthetic brush market.

WOULD YOU BUY IT AGAIN?
Well, it is a budget brush in terms of cost (£7). I have no other synthetic brush to compare it to, but that's by the by. If it lasts a reasonable time (I've read a few reviews on the companies website that are showing short lifespan) then I would buy another for sure. Most complaints seem to be the handle cracking or the knot falling out. As long as the handle stays in one piece, I can reglue a knot no problem.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: Bad value
I bought this brush randomly, along with the Maca Root shave cream, while I was strolling by The Body Shop boutique. Although it looked nice, I was expecting bad results. /// My review: My Omega boar costs as much and is defenitely higher in quality than the body shop brush. Although inexpensive, there's no value in this brush - you get less than what you pay for. By my third shave day, this brush has lost 31 hairs: my Omega boar has lost less than 10 during its 1.5 year service and is still going strong. This brush, compared to my cheap and basic Omega boar, is anorexic in appearance: whether dry or wet, it is very thin and doesn't feel substantial. The bristles are very stiff and I strongly believe that they will remain that way after the break-in period. My Omega, from day one, was user friendly: the body shop brush has to be significantly pushed down on the surface in order to do its work. With it, I can only bowl lather and paint on face - no swirling because the bristles are simply too stiff. The softness of the tips is what lured me into the purchase. Most of the bristles are hair tip thin. The handle is simple and easy to hold. But the bulb style/shape of the bristles are pointless here, in terms of functionality, because the middle bristles are too stiff to bend, therefore only the center of the head will contact the lathering surface efficiently. This brush lathers well in a bowl, but not so on the face. The reason for this, again, is because i can force the brush down in the bowl while swirling but cannot do so on the face because the bristles will poke unpleasantly at the skin. I don't see the point in buying a brush that might work well after 3 months of usage (to soften the bristles). This brush does not fulfill well its intended purpose: not worth the money IMHO. You want inexpensive - get an Omega or Proraso boar. You want a syntec - look for a pricier proper brush. Regards.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Density
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
1.00 star(s)
I have to say this is an excellent brush for the money, £5.50 in UK Body Shops. I had a WS boar brush for years and years and it was starting to shed, so I thought I'd have a punt on one of these before I decided on a more expensive brush. Well that was 3 months ago. This brush has been used almost every day in the last 3 months, it seems to hold water and lather much better than my old WS Boar brush. It lathers creams and soaps equally well and it goes on my face beautifully. The bristles have a great backbone and are soft enough not to irritate my skin. This is one of those great value for money products that performs well above it's price tag.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)