What's new

TGN (thegoldennib) 22mm finest w/extra hair

This is one of three TGN knots (Best, Silvertip and Finest ExH) I have used recently. I set it in an Eveready 40R handle. It is set about 7/16 deep, a little deeper than the original knot, but I were doing it over, I would go a bit deeper.

It is the best of my 3 TGN knots. It has much more backbone than the Best, and feels a little softer in the tip than the Silver Tip. My idea of the perfect brush is the Simpson Col. X2L, and this is what I was hoping for with this knot. It is pretty close, and I think it would be even better if set a little deeper. I wanted another good soap brush, and it fills that bill quite well. It has just enough scritch to feel good on my face, and enough backbone to pick up soap and build a good lather, both in the bowl and on my face.

It is a really big knot, for only being 22mm and it really fans out. It did not have too much funk, no where near as much as the TGN "Best" but it did benefit from the de-funk break in.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I put this together with a TGN handle and 22mm finest knot w/extra hair. I had to remove a fair amount of material to set the knot @ 48mm. I used my dremel, it was a bit time-consuming and dusty, next time I will use a forstner bit to remove most of the material. I glued it up with Loctite plastic epoxy, just squirted a bit from both tubes in, and mixed it in the handle. I wasn't expecting such a bulb-shaped knot, but it's growing on me. It does give better control over the lather distribution than a fan. The knot is less dense than my Rooney 3/1, but with similarly soft tips, and a bit more "springy" backbone. It is a bit "scritchy" when dry, but this is not noticeable when wet. It may continue to improve as it breaks in. It did have somewhat of a funky smell, not "animal" in nature, hard to describe. The handle has nice weight to it, and it was finished pretty well, the grooves around the base are not perfectly smooth however, and the overall finish isn't up to the standards of a higher priced brush, but that is reasonable for the cost, and you have to REALLY look close to see any imperfections. The handle design is not my favorite, I end up holding it around the widest part of the handle, and it is a bit bigger than I would like, but it was my choice, I wanted to try this shape. Overall, an outstanding value, for the price, I don't think there is ANY competition. Here it is, pre and post bloom.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)