What's new

TGN (The Golden Nib) UK 24mm Silvertip Knot.

I picked up the TGN UK Silvertip when Tony was clearing them out for $59. At the time I was hesitant to spend almost 3x the price as the other knots from TGN. Boy am I glad I did.

I had a custom butterscotch handle turned to fit the knot in a Chubby 1 style. I set the knot at 51mm and think it is just about a perfect loft for this knot.

These knots were made by Vulfix and you can tell the quality shines through. It is a very dense knot with super soft tips, one of my softest. Setting it at 51mm gave it enough backbone for loading soaps and face lathering and it lathers like a beast!

After experiencing every knot from Simpson's (best, super, and super 2-band), I'm fairly certain that this knot was actually a Simpson's Super 3-band chubby knot. No wonder Vulfix stopped providing these to Tony for so cheap.

This is definitely one of my top 5 brushes and was at the time the very best knot you could get from TGN. I just wish I had bought a backup.

If you see one of these on BST, don't hesitate to snap it up. I just know you won't see mine on there anytime.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I bought this knot a few weeks ago with some hesitation due to the lack of reviews of it, and my experience with the UK Super not suggesting that it would be worth the $50+ (shipped). I installed it in a vintage brush I've got at 49.5mm Loft.

I understand that these are most likely made by Vulfix, so I searched for reviews of Vulfix silvertip, only finding Joels review where he tanks it for being extremely loosely packed... so I knew that wasn't this knot.

I've attached 2 pictures comparing the brush to others I own. In the five brush picture you are looking at (clockwise from the tallest brush). A "Pinched" 24mm TGN Extra stuffed 2 band at ~40mm loft (the "bloom" is LESS than the knot would have been when new due to a pinching in the handle BullsEye did for me. It's basically a giant Q tip. You almost can't make a denser brush than that thing.) Then a 16mm Normal stuffed TGN 2 band finest at 45mm. Then the Grosvenor LE (2 band SimFix). Then a 23mm TGN UK Super at 54mm. Then our stories hero.

The second picture is the Grosvenor LE and the TGN Uk Silvertip 24mm @ 49.5mm loft.

I'm hoping between these two pics you can see how densely packed this knot is. It really does create the "Wall of hair" when lathering. I wouldn't want it any denser.

It's the softest brush I've got other than my Nylon.

It's a lather monster.

I'm not sure what else there is to say. If I were to make another one, I might actually go a bit higher on the loft. 51mm or so. And it's the only brush I've made that I'd say that about, that's how dense it is.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)