What's new

Terre D'Hermes

grapefruit, orange, flint, pepper, pink pepper, geranium, patchouli, cedar, vetiver, benzoin.

The citrus is pretty upfront. There is grapefruit but I actually smell a bit more orange. I can definitely smell a kind of "rock" "mineral" smell that must be the flint and pepper. The cedar is REALLY good on this one and as it dries down the vetiver and patchouli really freshens it up. This for me is a good fall/winter scent but as usual YMMV. I would say 2 to 3 sprays on each arm is good. The longevity on me is at least a few hours. I haven't tried the Parfum but the EdT strength is plenty for me. I get waves of goodness flying towards me with 2 sprays. You could probably wear this at the office but I think it strongly leans towards golfing, special occasions and an evening out. I don't wear scents to the office because I don't want great scents to remind me of the office. I normally don't gravitate towards orange scents but this is up there with the best I've tried including Creed Citrus Bigarrade or Orange Spice. The flint, pepper, and cedar spice it up and the patchouli and vetiver add a freshness to it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
D
I've owned a bottle of this heavenly stuff since it came out, in June 2006. I got my first bottle on a stop-over in Switzerland. I was quite attracted to the packaging at first (hence top score for that) but after a couple of squirts on me, I thought I was in heaven! The scent mixed very well on my otherwise fussy skin which was helped by the hot and humid weather.

Now, this is no ordinary cologne. I don't usually buy designer fragrances, but I suppose this is my only exception. It's earthy, mineral, green and 'flint' - don't quite know how. I like to think of the first rainfall after a long, hot and dry summer. But it also has notes like rose, orange and grapefruit which come out so warmly on a hot and sticky summer's day. It's complexity is such that it goes well on a rainy day too - the black pepper and vetiver playing an important role there.

My girl loves the scent too (she's often stealing my bottle!) and I find that I'm always buying a spare or two to keep in the car, at work, in the travel bag and so on. For this reason and many others, I call it my signature scent. I wear it almost all the time - at work, night time, when I'm going out and so on.

Price - This is pretty average if you ask me for any high-end designer fragrance. I gave it a 9.

Quality / Scent and Complexity - if this was anything less than a round 10, my comments above would be pointless. Just all-round general class, as you'd expect from Hermès.

I've graded the atomizer a 9, as comparing to say, a Creed fragrance, not a lot comes out per spray. Having said that, you don't need much - less is better for this scent if you ask me. For the quality of the cap though, I'd give it a 10 for that alone. Great way to not lose the top!

All in all, easily my favourite scent but so as to give you an idea of what other scents I also use, (though maybe not as much), here you go: Acqua di Parma Colonia, Creed Original Vetiver and recently Le Labo Rose 31.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Price 8/10 Easily found at online discounters @ $50 USD for a 3.4oz tester.
Quality 9/10 Smells of top-notch, quality ingredients.
Packaging 10/10 Fantastic, heavy glass bottle with innovative twist style cap!
Scent 8/10 Very versatile & distinct scent, with grapefruit, pepper, and minerals. Love it!
Complexity 8/10 Not extremely complex by any means, however much more so than that slew of designer scents out there.
Staying Power 9/10 Extremely good longevity, even on my dry skin.
Quality of Atomizer 8/10 Atomizer is decent, but not as good as Dior's.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I get a top note of pepper. Then the orange kicks in. After that it is undetectable to my nose, but others notice for 4 hours later. The frag wears light so they don't know I'm wearing anything. I hear female comments like "it smells great in here, is that you?" or "uhm, it really smells nice here". Not going to overly impress but also not going to offend anyone. Very versatile: a nice work scent, sporty scent, day scent, indoor scent. I would select a more powerhouse cologne for going out at night. Even though this frag is popular online in real life I've only caught a whiff once. According to my quick survey of amazon, aqua di gio outsells this stuff 20 to 1.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I have to say, this is my favorite fragrance so far. It is so much different than the other popular modern scents and for that reason fairly distinctive. I am suprised at how popular it is given that.

The notes include some sort of wood, mineral and earth. I catch a whiff of the faintest fleeting floral note once in a while. After reading the other reviews, I can see how people would detect orange and pepper here, too, but these are not the notes that come to mind immediately to me.

Overall, reminds me of red-rock desert: strong earth and mineral (iron?) notes with the fleeting scent of a desert cactus blossom caught in a warm updraft. Dry air. Hot.

It is too bad it is so popular, though, because that makes it appeal to me somewhat less. Price seems typical for a designer scent, minimalist packaging and bottle design appeal to me and the staying power as well as sillage (from what I can tell) are spot on what I look for.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Just have two things to add here. FLINT and GUNPOWDER. It's amazing stuff!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
1.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Terre d'Hermes hits me hard with its spicy orange note. I also get leather, pepper, and wood. It was too much at first, got a little better in a challenging way, then became too pungent for me for rest of the time it lasted. I've tried it several times, but had the same experience every time. It's just not for me.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
This is a favorite of mine.

I favor earthy and woody notes as opposed to the marine, 'fresh' scents popular today. The name says it all, 'Terre' is spot on. This is definitely an earthy juice.

I concur with the admonitions to sample this before buying. I can see how this scent would not be for everyone. Nordstrom's carries it; try a strip and some on the skin- give it a while, at least an hour. This scent develops slowly on me.

Notes are given as grapefruit, orange, flint, pepper, pink pepper, geranium leaves, patchouli, cedar, vetiver, and benzoin. As usual the citrus opens but I still get some orange even after the drydown. It's great mixed with the woods though I've seen negative reviews calling the orange 'rotten'. Try before you buy!

Powerful and long lasting. I wear it day or night and to me hot weather agrees with it; but I work in an enclosed area and go light with it under those circumstances.

It's not cheap, however it can be had through the better known online discount retailers much cheaper than the full retail Nordy's asks.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I like lemon.
I like the smell of wet dirt.
However this fragrance is so sotrong and so mineral that 4 hours later it starts to become anoying. at least to my nose. Price the price is average and the packaging is quite nice. Quite poplular. In fact some people have started to call this the new aqcua di gio.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
I have owned a bottle since it came out last year. By far my favorite scent over the past four years.

Deep, complex, dark citrus, manly, with soft supple leather tones, wood, and spice. It is the way you would expect someone to smell if they were picking oranges all day and at night wore and old well worn leather jacket. Spicy, with smooth undertones.

Just love it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
5.00 star(s)
I purchased this fragrance at the Hermès store in Vienna, Virginia (I want to say) around February of 2006. Every time I wear it I get compliments on it. It’s one of my favorites.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Beware. Only one spray. This is a concentrated fragrance, but dries to an earthy scent with unique complexity.
Wearing it now at work, I guess I don't see this as just an evening scent.

This is a great fragrance, completely different from anything I've ever laid my nose on. Reminds me a bit of a summer rail trip I once took through Portugal - the smell of the orange groves wafting in on a warm summer day.

I found a mini bottle to sample at a fragrance outlet for only ten bucks, but I'll be buying a full bottle as soon as it runs out.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
. . . to my nose it's citrus, cedar, woods, earthy, spicy. . . good stuff, especially for a more modern scent which I tend not to like so much. It lasts quite a while. A good fall and winter scent. I wear it mainly when I go out with my peeps to have a good time. Not a work scent for me.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
3.00 star(s)
I'm going for a change of pace in formatting my reviews, and I'll go through the categories this time.

Price- I think all Hermes are way to expensive-- you can't get them at discount (as you can with Creed and Bond), and it seems that with the price of the 1.7 oz bottles, its hard for me to justify "trying it out" without having had experience before.

Quality- Whether you like Hermes or not, they are quality fragrances. I'd pick them up without hesitance, if the notes hit me right.

Packaging--- pretty standard, I'd say average. The only really interesting thing is the way the tabs are on the top of the box and how they provide a more secure box fit. . . but nothing special to me. The bottle is another thing, I love the way that the bottle is presented. The cap turns down to release the spray nozzle then up again to hide it.

Scent and Complexity-- Very citrusy and Woody. I really like it. Reminds me of a Citrus orchard, lemons, mandarins, etc with Cedar (maybe some sandalwood) trees.

Staying Power-- it clings to my undershirts the next day (can't re-wear them, even if they're clean).

Atomizer-- pretty average--- the mechanism to spray and unhide the nozzle amazing, but the spray volume is subpar (at least my bottle).
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)