What's new

Tequila Lime Shaving Cream with Organic Oils (4 oz.)

Pros: Great scent. Tremendous amounts a rich creamy lather.
Cons: Small opening
I agree with practically everything in the original post about this product.

For me, the scent was wonderful. It's not overpowering, but it gets the smell of lime and refreshment across very well indeed. It is a wonderful way to start the morning.

The amount of lather that is produced is on par and may exceed the high bar set by TOBS. The lather itself is creamy and gives a very nice cushion to your shave.

The opening to the jar is on the small side and I don't have that large a brush. Compared to my tub of AOS Sandalwood and TOBS Eton College, it will be a pain to get the brush in the tub once I've used the product for a while and am near the bottom. It's not the end of the world, but it does keep me from giving the product straight "10s."
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Moisturization, lubrication, thick, rich, slick lather, close shave
Cons: Small jar opening
I'm surprised that no one has reviewed this product already, as it has rapidly become my favorite summer shaving cream.

I will use the shaving creams & soaps I've used before as points of comparison during this review: D.R. Harris Marlborough, Mitchell's Wool Fat (under the Kent label), Art of Shaving Sandalwood, Proraso original, Proraso Sandalwood, and Spencer & Devon Sagebrush.

While looking for a quality shaving cream or soap for summer use, I discovered Taconic Shave Tequila Lime Shaving Cream with Organic Oils. I'll call it Taconic Lime from here on out. The reviews on Amazon.com and other sites were extremely positive, though the number of reviews was small. I love lime, the ingredients are organic, and the price was reasonable, so I pulled the trigger.

The scent is natural and refreshing -- mostly lime, but with a hint of Tequila. The "cream" itself is so hard that is should not be called a cream. It is not hard like a soap, however; it is truly a paste. There was a tiny amount of separation of the ingredients, with a small amount of liquid resting on a crust of firm paste. I just broke the moist crust with my index finger and stirred the mixture, leaving everything mixed and smooth. The cream worked beautifully for me, so it was a non-issue. Other reviewers had a problem with this, so I decided to include it.

Then, I went through my normal shower and face preparation, wet my badger brush with hot water, squeezed it out, and twirled it around the surface of the Taconic Lime Shave Cream until a little of the cream stuck the tip.

It does not take very much -- at all -- to whip up an excellent lather with Taconic Shave Lime. It took a few strokes more than with Proraso or Art of Shaving, but the lather is moist, rich, thick, and slick. It is closest in consistency to Mitchell's Wool Fat, but slicker -- and more moisturizing.

The lather felt so protective that I made another pass than usual, ending in a BBS shave! I left no nicks or abrasions behind. The lime scent is pleasantly strong during the shave itself, but lingers barely above the surface when the shave is done.

Taconic Shave Lime rinsed easily in warm water. After a quick pass of alum and application of Art of Shaving aftershave balm, my face felt excellent. Refreshed, moisturized, but not greasy.

I've been fortunate to have my Badger & Blade brothers to guide me in selecting shaving products. I truly enjoy all of my creams and soaps and get an excellent shave from each, though each is different.

D.R. Harris Marlborough provides rich, thick lather and an extremely close shave, but leaves my skin feeling slightly dry. Taconic Lime gives an equally close shave, but with a richer, thicker lather and a far more moisturized face.

Art of Shaving and Proraso products give a similar lather -- and nearly as much moisturization. However, they require more product than Taconic Lime does. To be clear, though, Taconic Lime provides the best moisturazation of any shaving cream I have ever used. It is quite remarkable.

Taconic Lime Cream is also similar in consistency and performance to Spencer & Devon Shaving Cream (which will be the subject of a review in the near future). Both yield outstanding results, and both moisturized my face better than I could have hoped. The Taconic Lime made slightly thicker lather -- and had slightly more lubrication. To be fair, though, I have only used the Spencer & Devon cream a few times, and I have not yet perfected my lathering technique with it. That part of the review may change once I dial in my technique with the Spencer & Devon.

Quibbles:

There are a few things that could use improvement. First, the opening of the plastic jar is quite small -- smaller than the diameter of my medium-sized badger brush. Though I can presently twirl the top of my brush in the cream, once I use some up, I'll have to scoop a small amount out with my finger and transfer it to the brush. I'd like to see a jar similar to that made by Art of Shaving, which uses a larger container with a smaller scooped-out part inside so that all of the product is easily accessible to the brush. A minor quibble, to be sure, but a fair one.

All-in-all, Taconic Shave Tequila Lime Shave Cream is a superior product in all ways. It provides a shave on par with the best products I have used -- and at an excellent price. In addition, I require less product per use than products of similar quality, and Taconic Shave Lime provides the best moisturization of any shaving product I have used.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)