What's new

Templeton Rye

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of this when it first came out. I've had one other bottle since then. That one ended up at my parents house for family gatherings, etc. It's an excellent Rye. Very smooth.

But I honestly feel like there's too much hype surrounding it. Maybe it's because I live in Iowa, but it's good...but I don't think it's good enough to put yourself on a waiting list for 6 months, or pay twice the price for it (both of which I've seen).

I also don't believe the Al Capone story either. Not that there is any way to prove or disprove it.

Basically, a good, solid Rye. But don't kill yourself or break the bank in trying to get it.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Value
3.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
This is great stuff. Rye is really making a comeback and Templeton is an excellent one. Smooth, complex, a little peppery. Makes for the perfect Manhattan. My only gripe is that it is pretty expensive, and really hard to get. I think I paid 40 bucks a bottle the last time I found it, and it took months. Basically, it got much more popular than they anticipated, and, since it takes 5 years, there isn't a fast way to increase supply.
Aroma
5.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Value
3.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
I bought some TR because I had read a story on the company in the local newspaper and how they were running out because of it's popularity. If you'll go to their website you can find out more about the company and some interesting articles about prohibition, Al Capone, etc

The stuff I drank was a 5 year old rye. I'm not a pro reviewer but I tasted a lot of spice, toffee, and a malt body. Very little burn.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)