What's new

Taylor's Shaving Shop

Works fine but could not get used to the scent and gave it away.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I recieved a sample tub of this cream from the 6 pack sampler at the Shave Den, and while I loved the scents of the other TOBS products I received, this one was very off putting. I did not like it at all. My wife didn't like it, my secretary didn't like it, the other lawyers at my firm didn't like it. The comments ranged from "Cheap Soap" to "Old Man Stink." One female lawyer at my firm hit the nail on the head. "Urinal Cake".

Clean and Soapy, just like the other reviews say, but off putting because of the association. Like all the TOBS creams, this one is a great performer, but you should definitley try a sample before you spring for a big tub. I rinsed the last 3/4 of my sample down the drain.

yymv etc.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
D
I found the scent of this cream quite off-putting to be honest. The lather it produces is great though!
I love this cream: its lathers great, gives a good close shave, moisturizes and smells good too. It is now right up there among my favorites: Peterman's 1903, AoS (lavender and lemon), T&H (West Indian Limes) and Acqua di Parma.

I also bought the gel to match. :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I received my tub last week and I have used it a few times now, and I have to say I really like it. My motivation for getting it was the scent-I had bought the A/S a while back and while I wasn't sure at first, I eventually grew to really appreciate the subtle citrus/woods combination and now I really enjoy it. With respect to the shaving cream, the performance so far has been great-It lathers up phenomenally well and unlike some of the other reviewers I have had no issues with dryness or irritation, my skin has felt great every time after using it. And again I really love the scent-I notice that the scent of the cream is a bit different from that of the aftershave (more citrus less wood I think?) but just as good-Also I agree that the scent does linger nicely throughout the day, which is a plus for me-

Bear in mind that this is my first cream from one of the "3 Ts" but for me it works great and is a keeper!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have to agree with joto....the scent of the shaving shop is not for me. Also, it seemed to linger way too long. caveat, I prefer unscented or lightly scented creams. For the money in terms of the TOBS line, I'd choose among any of the florals or the almond and skip the cologne based choices.
I had a real negative initial reaction to the scent of this cream, as I found this to be pretty nondescrcript and soapy. Forced to describe the scent, I would say that to my nose it smells like a warmer, less sharp version of the Ivory soap scent. I am not an Ivory fan. I have warmed up to it a bit, but after a few months of occasional use it's safe to say I will not buy more. I was disappointed considering how good I find Taylor's scents in the other creams- given how many good reviews this is getting, perhaps my tub was off somehow. Some forumites are saying there is more than one version of this scent in circulation, or used to be at any rate, but I can't speak to that as I have tried only one tub. If it's important my tub was purchased in the fall of 2008.

I spent the money, so I'll finish it, but it will probably be relegated to quick shaves where I don't have the time to really enjoy the process, or lather experiments. Strictly a functional cream for me.

That said, I found the performance to be equivalent to most of the other Taylor creams (Avocado is better), and I have no complaints about how it lathers, shaves, etc. For me, there are better scent options.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I find this particular iteration of Taylor's very underwhelming. It's is as functionally sound as any other Taylor cream and holds up in all those categories but the scent I find lacking. It is very mild so if that's what you're looking for then give it a try. I tend to like my cream to be more of olfactory experience and this just doesn't do it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I love this stuff. The scent is fantastic...lemony plus. It is a great way to start the day.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Received a sample with my last order from Shaving Essentials. Best lather I've ever had, luxurious, lubricating, just a pleasure to shave with. I guess I'm a cream type guy, and I love this stuff, just ordered some. I can shave with less irritation with this cream, very pleased.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
My experience with this cream was that although the scent was nice and clean, it did dry out quite quickly on my face while shaving and left my face dry afterwards, but most importantly, the slickness, cushioning and lubrication are the biggest let down. From my experience, comparing this with my day-to-day JM Fraser Shave Cream (which I'm beginning to think might be the best cream in the world for me as its superior to the 25 or so I've tried), it would not be an overstatement to rate it about as useful as canned goo - that is, slightly better than water.

I know thats a big call and perhaps if one persists and works up differently balanced lather (more or less water etc) you could get a better result. Best of luck to all who enjoy it... but my sample I got from Josh will be about twice as much as I'll ever use of it.

Scent is nice.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
This was my first ever shave cream, and it turns out to be one of my favorites, if not my favorite.

At first, I didn't care for the scent. After three or four uses I did a complete 180 and completely fell in love with the scent. I've got a pretty large collection of creams now, and nothing comes close to it, imo. The scent is definitely the biggest love it or hate it thing about this cream. To me, it kind of seems to have a base of a body or baby powder, with a woody scent, and just a hint of spice thrown in. As far as the scent lasting, I haven't tried anything else that will linger as long, or fill up the bathroom and hall as much. It's one of those creams I will sometimes just open up and smell.

As far as how the product works, it's an easy lather, whips up gobs, and is doesn't dry out like I think the Taylor Lavender and Lemon-Lime like to. It's not extremely moisturizing, but it's not drying. I wouldn't consider it to be exceptionally slick, but it doesn't slouch in the category.

Overall, the performance of the cream itself is good, although nothing extraordinary. The scent is what really puts it over the top for me.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is my favorite of the Taylor line of shave creams. The shave, the lather, etc are what you would come to expect from Taylors, but what put me over the top is the scent. Surprisingly the scent of this cream just does it for me. The first time I cracked this open and whipped up a batch, I was transformed back to my younger days when I'd watch my dad or grandfather shave or get a shave at the barbershop. I know some don't talk much in detail about the scent on this one, but IMHO this scent is a reminder of why we are still honoring and taking part in this beautiful art of wet shaving, and I think the Shaving Shop scent is a tribute to that tradition that is to be passed on from generation to generation. Simply a timeless classic.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I just picked a tub of this stuff. I normally use a soap, however sometimes I use Trafalgar. This stuff, what can I say that hasn't been said?? Its got a clean, crisp, "manly" smell to it.

It reminds of a TOBS Mr. Taylor's cousin. While the TOBS Mr. Taylors is "good lord" on the scent, this is more like a similar "cousin" who meets you for lunch once in a while and says "hey lather with me sometime?" Not to offensive. Just right. This is a must have in your rotation for those days you don't need that "damn!! What are you wearing??" that TOBS Mr. Taylor's is.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
My first Taylor's cream and what can I say. Amazing stuff! I LOVE the smell. Its crisp and fresh. You just feel cleaner when you lauther up. It lingers a little bit on the skin but thats fine by me.

I havent had any trouble getting it to lauther up and doesnt dry out my skin. I really cant say enough about this cream. It got a spot in my top 5 the first time I used her!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
one of my favorite since the beginning...one of the few creams that I bought the cologne, too.

mark tssb
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
While I concur with others on the scent of Shave Shop (it's got a non-descript, clean soap smell to it, not a knock your socks off scent like Avacado or Rose), I love how this stuff lathers up!:thumbup1:

I'm a big fan of the Taylor's Creams overall. There is something about Shave Shop, though, that really gets the lather "percolating", I don't know what, but Shave Shops impresses the hell out of me each time I swirl and lather up my brush.

While not as moisturizing as their other creams, I don't see it drying me up much, but like most all of us, I use a bunch of balms after shaving anyway.

Overall it's great stuff that I look forward to using when I demand thick peaks of meringue-like lather piling up high on the sides of my shave bowl!:biggrin:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Great cream, great scent, great price!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I like it!

Randy
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
The moisturizing effects of this cream are not suitable for people with dry or sensitive skin. It will absolutely dry out your skin. The aroma is subtle and the lathering properties are bit more complex to build than other Taylor's creams. I like Taylor's cologne scented blends, but this one I'll pass on. It's a subtle citrus/spice aroma, a very crisp clean scent. But overall, what it does to my skin is enough to keep me away. Everytime I shaved with it, I got nicks and dry skin.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)