What's new

Taylors Pre-Shave (and post shave) Oil

I'll grade it as a pre shave. It works great to reduce nicks and help soften the whiskers. The smell is very nice but stays if you don't wipe it down. I've tried it as an aftershave and for the reason I don't like balms, I feel it leaves a greasy film but this makes it worse if you use it as an aftershave. The best result I've seen as a preshave is to have it sit in your sink with your shave mug and brush in hot water while you shower. Your mug will be warm for the warm lather and the oil will feel awesome.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is not your typical pre-shave oil. It's quite thick compared to regular oil (T&H, etc.), so it must be applied on a very wet face, or rubbed between wet hands to dilute properly. Having said that, I small bottle will last a very vey long time, so the price can be easily justified.

Price: About GBP 10 or $20 CAD / USA for 30 ml.

Quality: Lets just say this stuff doesn't smell cheap.

Fights Razor burn: Not particularly as an after-after shave. But it does confort. Use your regular aftershave for razor burn. As a pre-shave, it does help reduce the occurence of razor burns.

Cooling sensation: None (I rated a 10 to avoid lowering the overall score since there is no appropiate category for pre-shaves)

Alcohol burn: None

Scent: Humm, difficult to describe, there is a hint of lavender, perhaps some musk, it's quite mature and distinct. Nothing offensive. I can easily imaging some brit cologne smelling like this, I'm just not sure which one.

Efficacy / Moisturizing:
Pre-shave
Work very well as a pre-shave, in my opinion, it does help the blade glide closer to your skin. It may also reduce nicks, or perhaps its just coincidence.
After-after shave
I also use it as an "after-after shave".....by this I mean I use an alcohol based lotion first, wait a few minutes to dry, then dab some cold water on my face and apply a small quanity of this oil to the shaven regions only. It adds extra needed moisture after any shave, and leaves a pleasent scent that lingers. Careful not too use too much to avoid getting an oily finish.

Also note that you may feel very very slight warming sensation when first applied, lasting a few minutes, but it is nothing negative.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)