What's new

Taylor's Of Olde Bond Street Lavender

Price: I thought it was a good price at $22 for the soap and the wooden bowl it comes in. My wife appreciated the 'gentlemanly' look of the whole package.

Quality: Very nicely made soap, good shape, well-packaged, overall a nice product.

Scent: It's pleasant, and light, to my senses. I started off shaving with a AoS shave cream, which left a very strong scent that I could smell throughout the day. The TOBS Lavender is pleasant and not very heavy, at least based on feedback from my wife. I tend to not smell anything after shaving.

Lather: Great lather - my only experience with building lather from a soap, so far, but very easy to work with and just two or three swirls on the soap gives me plenty of lather for two to three passes.

Efficacy: Not sure what this refers to - if efficacy like pharmaceuticals, I suppose the soap purports to create a lubricating layer and soften whiskers while leaving a pleasantly clean face. To that end - yes, it lubricates and my face feels clean. My hairs don't feel that soft, but they never have from soap or cream or cheap foam.

Moisturizing: I gave an eight - I use moisturizer after shaving, anyway, but the soap doesn't leave my face dry or peeling, which is more than I can say for regular body soap that is 'moisturizing'.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This is the first soap I bought when I started wetshaving this past January. I bought it along with the wooden bowl, and I must say that I LOVE it!

I think that the Taylor of Old Bond Street brand offers one of the best values in traditional shave products, so the price is great, especially if you only get the refill and don't worry about the wooden bowl.

The quality of the soap is great as well. I have used it quite often since January, and it's hard to tell that it's been used very much at all. I believe that I will get at least a year's use out of it before I use it all up, maybe even more. The wooden bowl that it came with is very nice, and it looks nice on the counter...but really since you can put the soap in just about anything you already have around the house, you may want to just skip the bowl and get the refill. Then you are really benefiting from the TOBS price!

I love the very pleasant scent of the Lavender soap. It really smells nice, and its not overpowering. Unless you just don't like the way lavender scented shave products smell, then you will probably really enjoy the scent of this soap.

The TOBS Lavender soap produces a great lather for me. It's a soap that's really not hard to get a good lather out of. I have used the "dry brush" method posted on the newbie tutorials here on B&B, and I have also gone into it with a wet brush like I would approach a cream...and both methods produce rich, creamy, hydrated lathers. Sometimes shave soaps can be a little finicky for me when it comes to generating a good lather. I would say this is a great soap for a soap newbie to learn and practice on. I'm sure the soap veterans will also appreciate the lather that this soap yields.

As far as efficiacy is concerned, I have absolutely no issues with the TOBS Lavender soap. It produces a great lather, yields an excellent shave time after time, and it leaves my face feeling moisturized all day. This is what I expect with any shave soap, and TOBS delivers.

I love the way my face feels as I'm applying the lather from this soap, I love the way it softens and moisturizes my skin and beard as I'm in the shaving process, and it always leaves my face feeling super moisturized all day long. The TOBS soap is much like the creams TOBS makes, I feel that they are VERY moisturizing.

Overall, I feel you owe it to yourself to try a puck of TOBS lavender soap. YMMV, of course, but it has been a very good soap for me. Highly recommended.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
I put this soap up on the B/S/T forum but go not takers, so I decided to keep it and use it myself. I’m glad it did! I put some hot water on it and subjected it to my Omega n48 Professional. This soap lathered up beautifully. It lubricated my face quite well and did not dry it out at all. Left my skin feeling nice. The only down side was the scent, or really a lack of it. Although it did not bother me all that much, it would have been nice to have a lavender scent filling my bathroom. I paid $14.95 for this refill, so not a bad price although with the dollar the way it is, I doubt I’ll get it at that price again. Would definitely buy another puck if the price was right.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
After trying alot of soaps (Harris, Tabac, proraso, mama bear, P160 and alot more...) I find that this is still the best soap (and Taylor sandelwood) It lathers very good, its nice on the skin and I never never cut myself with this soap. The shaves are very close without irritation. very underappreciated soap!!

Try it!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
got this for $22 w/bowl from Amazon a couple of months ago. my second soap after a disappointing Williams experience. easy to use; mild, pleasant, soapy floral scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
This was the first soap I ever bought. Having now used Tabac, MWF, GFT, QED and CADE, the TOBS soaps seem totally mediocre. They are fine, but not nearly as good as the others.

I was disappointed as I really like the TOBS shaving creams. YMMV of course.
This was the first soap that I purchased since moving into the DE world.

Price: Decent price price for Taylor's. Only $14.95 from Bestgroomingtools.com

Quality: Since using other soaps such as T&H, C&E, etc. I would say that Taylor's ranks among the best.

Scent: Nothing negative here. If you love the smell of Lavender as I do then this soap is for you. As soon as you open the box you will be overwelmed by the smell of sweet Lavender. The good thing is, is even though the scent of the soap itself is strong, it is very mild while and after shaving.

Lather: Gives a great lather. I put a little hot water on the puck and let it sit for a few mins, drain off the water into my lather bowl, take my damp badger brush and load up and then build the lather in the shaving bowl. Using this method I can get enough lather for a great 3 pass shave.

Efficacy: Long lasting triple-milled, as all of taylor's soaps.

Moisturizing: I gave this soap a seven, due to the fact that even though I get sufficient lather it just doesn't seem to have the moisturizing properties that Taylor's creams seem to have. One or two skips during my shaves, but still gives an excellent shave with no irritation.

All around a very good triple-milled soap that will always be in my rotation.:thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)