What's new

Taylor's Avacado

I've read about this stuff for a while and just got myself a tub recently. TOBS are generally top notch to begin with, but this cream really takes things to a whole new level.

Price: You get a whole lot for your money, and a little goes a long way.

Quality: As is the case with all TOBS creams, quality is wonderful.

Scent: This is my only complaint with the cream...I really don't find it to be all that appealing. However, with the way it performs, I'm willing to overlook the scent.

Latherability: This stuff lathers like no other cream I've tried. Extremely rich and slick.

Efficacy: What can I say, it works.

Moisturizing properties: This is the area where this cream really shines. I only wish I had discovered it a few months ago when I was struggling to keep my face moisturized during the shave. I'm in Milwaukee and this past winter has been especially horrible. Next winter, I forsee much better shaves.

Packaging: I really love TOBS packaging. No frills, solid, and the container is great for melting soaps when you're done with the creams.

Overall, a tremendous product that has a place in everyone's cabinet.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Like most TOBS creams, this one is just, well, great! I really love the scent. This has always been, and will continue to be, my go-to cream. I love the moisturizing properties this cream provides. My only concern is that the consistency of this cream, in my experience, has been less desirable. It's much more watery-like than any of the other TOBS creams. Not sure why. Because of this, I think its latherability suffers a bit. Not a problem, though, and would highly recommend this cream. A+
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This cream is a great benchmark for moisturizing properties as well as skin protection during the shave. A new wetshaver curious about what is meant by these descriptions would not go wrong trying this cream. Great price/value and quality. The scent strikes me as OK, but doesn't grab my attention to any great extent one way or the other. Taylor's packaging is functional (and generous in size), but wouldn't have as much visual impact (as a gift?) as some of the other premium products. My skin isn't terribly sensitive, but if I did something to mess it up, this is my go-to cream at present.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
First I'd like to say thank you to this site and all of its members. Had I not found B&B I would have never tried this cream. I do not like avocado and was worried that smell would turn me off. Boy was I wrong! I received this cream yesterday and today I just had to try it. I literally just finished shaving and boy was it a good one. This cream made so much lather I did not know what to do with it! The smell was very nice. To me it has a very cucumber and melon scent with more cucumber than melon. A nice floral note too. It was strong smelling in the tub, strong when I lathered it and still strong all through the shave and lingered nicely afterwards. As for moisturizing I would say this has been the best cream or soap I have used so far in that regard. My neck area always demands some attention post shave, but after using this soap I almost didn't bother. Yeah, I did anyway because I think it is good for your skin to repair after shave trauma. Overall I could not be more pleased with this product and as far as English creams go the price couldn't be beat. I can not imagine being without this cream in my ever growing rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have been simply disappointed with this cream. I bought it because I was told it's a great starter cream, being very cushioning and for sensitive skin.

Well every time I use it I'm more dissatisfied than the last. I've said this in a few posts before, but to me this cream smells just like SPF and/or sunscreen. It burns my face and doesn't give me a very close shave. It lathers nicely, but that's about it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Price-Normal 13.50 for TOBS. Im a fan of TOBS products as a whole. I do adore their shaving creams. I dont really see the need to ever buy other brands ever again.

Quality-Better than AOS, the other two T's. The only cream I have used that was of higher quality was the Castle Forbes Lavender.

Scent-Fairly light. Clean with a little green. I adore it!

Lather-Thick cushion! Best their is!

Moisture-Need less ASB after this cream than others.

Packaging-Normal plastic tube. Boring but it works!
I've been wetshaving for nearly two years now, and my shaving cream/soap collection is rather... extensive. I'd resisted buying TOBS Avocado, though, since I don't care for avocados and especially guacamole.

But about two months ago, I went on a buying jag, to fill out my collections and included a tub of TOBS avocado in my order. When everything arrived, I sat down with my box 'o goodies and a small tub of coffee beans to clear my nose after smelling each cream.

The TOBS is packaged in the usual PVC tub; nothing exciting here, but certainly what we all know. It's functional, et all with faint green lettering.

But when I opened the tub -- Oh my!!! What a wonderful, light, slightly melon scent. Nothing at all like avocados, and not like any other cream I've ever smelled. It lathers as well as any of the other 3T creams, and I believe it had a bit more moisturizing properties than other creams. That may be me being led by the many other reviews, but this has now become my "go to" cream.

What a wonderful addition to my collection.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Price - just MHO but TOBS is the best value out there for a luxury product. TOBS line-up of luxury creams are a steal at current price point.

My sniffer ain't that great but the scent seems mild & pleasant to me. The latherability is superb, just a little dab'll do ya for sure. That makes it even more economical. A tub of TOBS contains many great shaves.

I can get a rich meringuey batch of badger batter whipped up with TOBS Avocado about as fast as I can squirt a gob of Barbasol into my palm & apply it. Very few creams love to take a beating more than Avocado.

The cushion & glide of this product is marvelous. This is the cream I reach for when I'm trying out a new & unknown blade. If I can't get a danged good shave out of an 'edge' mowing thru TOBS Avocado, the blade ain't for me.

My face feels smooth, refreshed. real smooth & moisturized after a 3 pass + TouchUp mow job using this product.

Packaging - I'm perfectly content with the packaging as it's cheapish and I'm not paying extra for it. It's the contents, I crave.

This cream will always have a prime place in my rotation, in addition to serving as my Pilot Cream when trying out a new blade or razor + use on days when my face is feeling beat up and needs invigorating.

I highly recommend this product to NEWBIES:

1) You'll learn how to whip up a heaping batch of lovely badger batter QUICKLY & SUCCESSFULLY with this product. That'll build your confidence that you can do it when you might tackle a cream down the road that's tougher to Whip.

2) You'll be working your way thru sampler packs of blades & this is the Cream to use with an unknown blade. Same applies to trying out a new Razor.

3) The marvelous cushion & glide will really help you develop good shaving practices/technique with minimal damage to your face. This cream will facilitate your SUCCESS in DE Wet-Shaving.

IMHO, this is truly a marvelous product & if you have not yet tried it you owe it yourself to do so. If, God forbid, I could only have one Cream, this would definitely be IT.

One last thing, YMMV on this gambit but I whipped up a batch for SWMBO to use on her legs & due to it's superb cushioning, glide & moisturizing properties she just loved it. She now Wet-Shaves with her trusty Sensor Excel (no DE's for her!!!) Now she is an "enabler" of my SCAD & looks forward as much as I do to receiving packages containing Shaving Kit especially if there's a tub of TOBS included (She also loves to use TOBS Rose & Lavender).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
If I could keep only one cream, this one would probably be it. The scent is wonderfully refreshing, "green", and to me, natural, although some people claim it's artificial.
I do not necessarily need a powerful cologne scent in my shaving cream, since I add a proper cologne afterwards if I feel like it. I want the scent in a cream to be refreshing, calming, and soothing, and I have so far found no better scent in this respect than the Taylor Avocado.
The latherability is above excellent, since this cream produces lots of lather even in my hard water area, using very little cream.
The moisturizing properties, although definitely above average, are perhaps not quite as massive as the ones coming from Proraso, Musgo Real, Arko, or Trumper's Coconut. This is why I gave it a 9 for moisturizing properties. This does however not mean that I would like it to be a 10 (!), because I don't need a cream loaded with oil. To me Avocado has just the right amount of moisturization.
I don't think anybody who gives it a 10 for packaging can be serious, since it's clear that a glass jar or black plastic (as with T&H) would be better. It is however a nice solid tub, which does not leave me wanting anything else. Thus it is again slightly below perfection, but at the same time gives total satisfaction.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price and Quality: It's Taylor's.

Scent: The new version has a pretty heavy scent of citronella to it. It's not bad, but not great either.

Latherability and Efficacy: This is what the Avocado is known for. It's simply great.

Moisturizing: It's shaving cream - the ASB is meant for moisturizing. That said, this cream's not bad at it.

Packaging: PVC tub with sticker. Not great, but it's not supposed to be. It's not a display piece.

Overall, very good. Just wish they used a little less citronella.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Taylors is my favorite of the T's. I like the scent, but the real draw is the moisturizing, thick lather that I can produce with this stuff. Zero irritation is a norm when using this product. Top notch, and with the Rose that I also have tried, these will most likely be my soaps of choice. Great price too. Hard to imagine the off smells described above. This smells like a fresh scent, and is not very overpowering for me at all. Actually, quite understated. I always rate packaging as a 10 because I am just not a packaging guy and won't rate an item like this based upon that criterion. It's a plastic container with a label on it. Big Whup. If it was a MOP inlaid ebony jar, it would be way out of my price range anyway.:biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is the first cream I used when going back to wetshaving. It is excellent in every aspect. I plan to always have this product in my 'Shaving Den'. :biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
The first time I got a whiff of the cream I had to step back and recover from the strong scent. I did not want to use the cream thinking it would 'nt smell to good. Oh was I wrong!!

One day I just decided to whip up a lather. It was absolutely fabulous. The cream created a lather in no time. The scent was amazing and the product work GREAT. I am definitely ordering some more of this stuff.

My number 1 overall shaving cream.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I used for the first time last week. The scent was great, the lather was fantastic and the shave had no equal. I will use this cream every week, at least twice. My skin felt smooth and I had no use for ASB after the shave. I think everyone should try this cream at least once, don't let the packaging fool you. This cream is outstanding.

Rafael
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Whips up into a very slick and moisturizing lather with little effort. One could almost skip the aftershave with this cream. I find the scent mild, but enjoyable. I see more Taylor's Avocado in my future.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
The old forumation was my favorite. Really terrific stuff. The new formulation, while still very good, just let's me down when I smell it. Not that it's bad. It's actually still very good. But I always compare it to what it was...sigh...
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I have never used the old formulation, but I can vouch for the new formulation. In my opinion, this has a floral scent that took a few shaves to get used to and enjoy. In regards to this cream's performance, the Avocado is simply a joy to use. It is very lubricating and even more moisturizing. A great choice when the face or neck is slightly irritated and needs some pampering during recovery.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I put off ordering this shaving cream for a while...just couldn't get past the image of a face covered in guacamole! But I broke down and oredered it towards the end of last summer. It arrived on a hot day, and was very liquid. But the scent was permeating the box! Shipped in a zip loc bag, some had leaked from the tub, less than the amount it would take for a shave, but in heat, enough to coat the inside of bag. Part of the labeling had worn away, and when I opened the tub, it looked half empty. I wasn't sure about the scent, but after a few uses, there is no question that I love this stuff. I rate the price as a 9 due to, if nothing else, the "appearance" that I got less than I should have, and the packaging a 7. Even at this price, I think they can do a bit better! Would I recommend it? Let's just say you can't have mine!

Randy
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I happen to like the new one better!

I'm not as much of a "cream guy," but this is one of my favorites (even more so than the "original" blend). I like the new scent better as well.

So, I'm a heretic! :blushing:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Don't know if I have the new or old formulation, but like Scotto this is my goto cream if my face is at all tender.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)