What's new

Taylor's Avacado

I got a tub in my recent trip to london. Taylors had a sale going and I wasable to pick up 4 tubs of cream for 24 pounds. (with the current exchange rate that's a STEAL!) One of them is the Advocado.

It's nice. It's scent is ok but the cream is excellent. It's only slightly gentler than the other Taylors creams I got. (sandalwood and St James).

I love thestuff though. If you can get a good price on it it's definately worth it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is a great shaving cream. It lathers well, has a great scent (as noted above, it doesn't smell like avocado), and moisturizes one's skin quite nicely. Even though I am new to wet shaving, and haven't sampled a lot of creams/soaps, this cream is so good I don't really feel the need to go out and buy a bunch of other creams to try (so it has saved me some money!).
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Another great offering from TOBS. Superb latherability and the scent is very refreshing. It's very melony / cucumbery. Just a little is all ya need for multiple passes. Wonderful product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This was the very first proper cream I ever tried. And now, I still find myself using it in my rotation a lot more than others.

What can I say, it lathers up a storm, provides great cushion, is slick and fairly moisturizing (though not quite like my Musgo Real). In fact, it is the best of the Taylors (I have tried all of them) along with the Rose.

But the best part is - The Scent. I think this one cream brings up more discussions about the scent than any other. What we all agree on that it certainly doesn't smell like avocado. Which is probably a good thing. But what it does smell of is a wonderful day of spring. It really fills up my senses everytime I use it (finally "Annie's Song" makes sense). It is hard to pin down what exactly the smell is, which is why the opinions are so polarized. But if you like it, it will be a keeper for life, especially given its performance.

I have settled on my 2 favourite TOBS products (this and Rose) and given their value for money, I think they are all I need from the English shaving cream aisle!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is a cream I want to work for me but it just doesn't.

The shave is very good - the cream lathers and performs like a champ. But there are two big problems in my way.

The first is that I have very sensitive skin to chemicals, and this cream sets it off somewhat, though not as badly as many.

The second, and more important, is that to me it smells just like some brands of sunblock. It's sort of a generic "isn't this nice" smell with all the character of dish soap.
I've tried most of Taylor's creams and by and large they all perform very similar to each other. Avacado is the exception. There's just something different about this cream that makes it stand out from the group. My only complaint is the scent. While it would be great in my kitchen, I don't really care for it on my face. But scent is a personal thing and should in no way disuade you from trying it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This was the first TOBS cream I've tried, and long story short, it resulted in the most comfortable and closest shave I've had.

I used to use Tabac as my go to soap, but Taylors Avocado is my new go to cream, and it will be seeing lots of use! 365 days straight is not out of the question.

The scent is good...sort of soapy, and although different than what I expected, I like how it goes well with Guerlain Vetiver EdT.

The only low marks I'd give TOBS is the container. The container itself is actually quite good, and I like the simplicity of it. But from my own experience and what I've read, there seems to be either some quality control issues, or the container is affecting the cream. Some people receive creams that are fluffy and light, others (like mine) are solid and almost chalky, while even others have had theirs show up very liquidy. I'm not certain, but I think this might be related to the container, and it's abilities to let out (and in) moisture too much.

Great product though! After my great experiences with it, I see no other reason to try any other cream, and I'll be personally hesitant to do so. Taylors is fantastic.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is a truly great shaving cream. When I am in a rush, which is often, and do not have the time for the best face preparation, this stuff still gives a great shave. Considering the price, I am not concerned about using more than I would if shaving while sitting in a hot tub.

The scent is really more of a generic herbal scent, which is somewhat refreshing but clearly not the main point. The non-descriptness of the herbal of scent may be due to the fact that beauty and personal care products use a specially developed species of avocado, not the pre-guacomole species.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Possibly my favorite cream to date. Price is a 10 of course, exactally what you expect from Taylors. I gave it a 9 on quality strictly because this stuff is packed into the tub and doesn't look very moist, but once you get going with the lather, you'll love it. I'm going to have to use a stick to get it out probably because it's that dense. Probably the most tightly packed Taylors I've ever seen. I've tried Rose, Lavender, Sandalwood, Mr. Taylor, and now Avocado and this beats them all. But I still love them all.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is a really slick, reliable, clean smelling cream that never disappoints. Get yourself a Feather blade, put your Proraso in the drawer, and pull this out for a shave that will make your wives, girlfriends, and boyfriends want to lick your face against the grain.

Price - I agree with the first review - "Unlike the other English creams (the 2 remaining T's specifically), Taylor's is a bargain." Always supportive of price cuts though.

Scent - My favorite scent of any cream that I own. Smells like clean-ness. Subtle, but catchy.

Latherability - This lathers thicker and easier than any other cream that I have used. Requires zero effort and does well even if you are stingy with water or are inconsistent with the amount of cream you get on your brush. Doesn't matter. The Avocado comes through anyway.

Moisturizing Properties - Leaves my face feeling smooth and moist. I can't stop stroking my own face. I feel like Lennie from Of Mice and Men.

Packaging - Ok, so 10 might be a bit high for the packaging, but it gets the job done well and keeps the price lower than most premium English creams. So it stays a 10.

Quality / Efficacy - Bottom line - This stuff works great. It is my go to cream over any other in my arsenal, including Proraso Green (which I like a lot too) and any of the other TOBS flavors (which I also like.)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
My third TOBS and my only disappointment is the scent. This smells like no avocado I've ever bought from the greengrocer. Maybe they grow them differently in the northern hemisphere? The scent is not unpleasant, just un-placeable - a sort of pleasant nothingness.

But the rest of the story is all good. Fantastic lather from just a couple of swirls and a great smooth shave that leaves your skin refreshed and soft.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Woo hoo! Got a honkin big tub from Shaving Essentials delivered today at work. Coworkers gave a big thumbs up on the fragrance. Tried it this evening, and was very pleased. Very slick lather, you can feel the difference when lathering the face. Put a new blade in the HD and got one of my best shaves ever, no irritation at all. And the fragrance is just lovely. Just a great product I'll be enjoying for months.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
My least favorite TOBS cream so far. I ordered it directly from the Taylor webshop, and when it arrived it was very runny. In fact it was practically liquid and some had leaked out of the container. I´ve tried stirring and chilling in the fridge, but it´s still very thin in consistency.

The scent is not bad, a rather powerful melon/cucumber/citrusy smell. Hard to combine with another scent. Rather nice, but not my favorite.

Price is excellent, packaging acceptable, lathers quick and fairly copiously. Shaves are not exceptional, but not bad either.

I won´t be throwing it out, but I won´t be ordering any more either.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
tried TOBS avacado for the first time yesterday. i wasn't expecting much from the scent since i didnt read the fondest comments about it. I couldn't wait to open it up and when i did i wasn't surprised. def not the greatest smell in the world. a little floral with a hint of "chemically". i will say this. it stood by what everyone claimed about it be a great cream. really slick, amazing lather, and gave a great shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
The lather's slick, with plenty of cushion, it smells great, and doesn't dry out my face.

Taylor's Avocado and Nancy Boy are my two favorite creams. I love the smell of Taylor's Rose, Sandalwood, and Lavender, but I always have Taylor's Avocado and Nancy Boy on hand for when my face is a bit dry or beat up.

I've been trying out some soaps lately, giving Tabac, Kent/Mitchell's Wool Fat, and Susie's Bubbles a whirl. The light, airy lather I was getting was almost certainly my fault (though the hard water doesn't help), but nonetheless that lackluster lather wasn't do me any favors. My face felt raw, dry, and tight.

After beating up my face a bit, the Taylor's Avocado really shined in helping me get my face calmed down. Fantastic product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is a really good cream. The smell is just fantastic. I started the lather in a bowl with a somewhat dry brush... lathered okay, but seemed a bit dry so I added a bit of water, and BOOM. The lather just exploded off the brush and up the sides of the bowl. Wow. A lot of lather. Too much lather. I'll use less next time. My only complaint is that it didn't seem as slick as a lot of soaps and didn't lubricate the blade as well. Part of it could be because I had SO much lather on my face. I'll try it again today or tomorrow. Great stuff. Good lather, great moisture, fantastic smell.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Wonderful scent, good lubrication, and lathering is no issue. I love this product for the price. I prefer True Fit's Ultimate, but not at twice the price!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price: Ok for a British product.

Quality: Consistant, tub tends to leak during shipment if ordering by mailorder.

Scent: Clean, you either like it or not. Does not smell of Avocado.

Latherability: Typical of other creams, nothing special.

Efficacy: Seems to go dry, even with the addition of excess water. I feel more friction than I would with say a Proraso product. It lacks "slickness". After a while I start feeling a burning sensation on isolated spots on my face where I may have been a tad rough with the blasde, mainly the chin. Again, I don't suffer from this with the Proraso soap.

Moisturizing Properties: Ok, again nothing special as other reviewers may have claimed.

Packaging: Typical srew cap tub. The lid at times does not properly seal. I have read similar complaints elsewhere.

Bottom line:
It's an OK product, but what bothers me is the burning sensation I get, as mentioned above. The fact I get more drag because of the dryness does not help. I also tried it with the Taylore pre-shave oil, yielding the same results.
I have decieded to stick with the Proraso soap for the time being; not because it's cheaper but because I truely feel it works better. I would gladly pay more for Proraso if it were the case.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
It is one of my favorites now!! Thanks for raving about this one! I tried it and it moved to the top of my list! The scent is subtle and hangs around (but you don't really so much smell it as you are aware it is present). These reviews can't really do justice to how well it shaved. It lathered wonderfully with a brush. It lasts and stays thick and creamy the way it should. It does a great job of protecting the skin, well mine, which is often irritated. Smooth is the word that comes to mind- the avocado oil really seems to make a difference! This is definitely my favorite if I'm having to rush a bit. But it also seems to find its way onto the brush when I'm not! Wonderfully moisturizing cream - I'd highly recommend it for those starting out with a DE as it really seems to cut down on nicks (sorry for the pun). If you are wanting a great shave- this is the thing. If you are after gobs and gobs of scent, not so much. It is subtle and yet soothing as a scent goes. I can't comment on the old vs new as this is new for me. Try it. You'll like it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Taylor's Avocado is by far my favorite cream. I don't think much more can be said about it. It lathers nicely, is great quality, and price wise is some of the cheaper quality creams you can buy. The only thing I would like to see is some more refined packaging but how much does that really matter? :smile:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)