What's new

Taylor's Avacado

Pros: thick rich lather
Cons: none
I received a sample of this in a PIF. When I first opened it I thought there's no way that this will provide enough for even one shave. How wrong, this stuff lathers like there's no tomorrow. I'm not wild about the scent. It does smell like avacado, and while I think avacados are delicious, I've never smeared them on my face before. If I were to buy this I'd prefer it in a tube, like Proraso. But, all in all, this is quality stuff and I actually prefer it to their Sandalwood cream for its moisturizing ability.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: The smell wasn't awful
Cons: Lack of latherability and moisturizing
This was the cream I bought with my very first DE razor so I had nothing to compare it to. I purchased it based on that famous wet shaving article that mentioned it followed up by all of the hype it received on this site.

I can say that after trying the Kiss My Face line (which is my day to day one now) and The Art of Shaving Lemon (when I want to treat myself) Taylor's avocado pales in comparison. The latherability and moisturizing properties of this are just no match for either of the other ones I just mentioned.

I get it that these old school creams carry a certain panache but that's all it has going for it. Anyone who does a "blind test" with KMF (which is only $8) or Art of Shaving will see that it's not worth the money and the quality isn't on par. I would never buy another Taylor cream again when there are far better ones for half the price and much more luxurious options for a little more.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice mild (melony) scent, whips up nicely, slick shaves
Cons: None so far
My experience with creams are limited, but this is a nice one. I use it as a nice "before bed" shave cream so I'm not overwhelmed with a strong scent. This one doesn't remind me of avocado but it does have a mild melon type scent. It's a great scent for both sexes. It whips up easily and does a great job. It's a nice addition to the lineup.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Lathers quite well
Cons: Irritation, scent
Unfortunately I cannot give a proper review since the product burned on my skin and even kept burning for a while after washing it off. I still managed one shave with it. Shave properties are Ok but since my skin can't handle the stuff, I cannot use or recommend this.

The second aspect is the scent -- to me it's mouldy potted plant. Unpleasant.

Taylor products are expensive and, imho, overpriced. But if you buy one of the top-shelf English products, you know that you're paying a hefty markup.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice scent
Cons: Mildly irritated skin (for me)
It's tough to rate something given the fact we all have different skin types. I never really really considered myself someone with sensitive skin. I was surprised when I started to get razor bumps like i used to get with M3 disposable razor shaving. I didn't change any aspect of my routine. I tried different razors (3 shaves per change). and I tried different blades for 3 shaves in a row as well. I never felt like i got a comfortable shave using the cream. Strange I know. My skin was always left feeling oily and even after multiple passes of water rinsing, i felt like I couldn't get the residue off.
My skin did not react well with this product. So if you have sensitive skin, this may not be for you.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Taylor Cremes are prominent in my shaving rotation. The Avocado whips up easily into nice peaks and gives plenty of lather for additional passes. The thick lather stays put for the whole shave. Excellent moisterization for sensitive skin.
Cons: This is the smell of Avocados?
Even after a super shave I'd have to say I'm not crazy about the scent. Perhaps the scent isn't what I expected. It's a pleasant, subtle and clean smell. My wife loves it so...I'm all in. The scent doesn't linger and shouldn't compete with after shaves.

The moisturizing properties of this creme are outstanding and compares rather well with the TOBS Jermyn St. for Sensitive Skin, which I use regularly.

TOBS Avocado gave my face a cool soothing feeling that lasted throughout the entire shave. The lather is super slick, thick and creamy, perfect for those with sensitive skin.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: LUBRICATING PROPERTIES
Cons: TOO OILY
Scent definetly not avocado.
Lathers very well and provides excellent glide but far too oily and takes great effort to clean up.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: The fresh scent and lather.
The name is a little misleading, as the scent is of freshly cut garden cucumbers. It lathers very easily with any type of brush. The lather lasts for several passes, and provides a good slick lather, but not as slick as T&H.

The scent is very nice and refreshing. It doe snot linger, and can be followed up by any after shave.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Makes super-rich lather, very slick and long-lasting
I love this cream! It loads on the brush easily, has a broad range of optimal hydration, and the lather lasts through several passes. The scent is mild, and reminiscent of cucumbers. It is a great cream for Summer.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Not quite sure why this is rated so low. It must be the scent which does take a little getting used to.
As opposed to avocado, this actually smells more like a 50/50 mixture of freshly mown grass + cucumber or melon.
It whips up into a fabulously thick lather in no time & the moisturising qualities are second to none.
A fantastic Winter cream.
Wonderful value for money too.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: moisturising properties
Cons: none to speak of
For its moisturising properties, this cream is THE best on the market. Usual Talyor's quality.
Scent is unusual but I'm a bit indifferent to it. Won't clash with any other scents you use.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
If I didn't find the smell of this cream so annoying, it would be right up there with the best in my rotation. As it is, the moisturizing and healing properties of this cream are so good, I don't think I could be without a tub for too long.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I find the sent a bit more lemon like then advocado. It does the job every time.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Works well, moisturizes, easy to use
Cons: It's a chemical factory
As good as this product works I can't give it high marks for health reasons. The scent smells synthetic to me but there is Avacado oil in the product which accounts for the moisturizing properties and some of the scent. But there are so many chemicals in the make-up of this product whose names I can't pronounce that I won't be using this product. I like to know what it is I am putting on my skin and what is being absorbed into my body! Many people like this stuff, so I don't want to sound too harsh, but after 35 years of wet shaving and 50 years of living I have learned that these chemicals have a way of building up on a person in a negative way. Pre de provence works as well or better for me in every department, except the moisturizing properties and is an all natural product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Performance, value
Cons: None
Wow! This is simply superb shaving cream.

I am not a cream nut, being more of a soap guy, but I am gradually shifting to more of a cream guy, I think. Creams I have tried, just so you know my range:

Kiss My Face mint
Park Avenue Classic
C.O. Bigelow
Art of Shaving Sandalwood
Taylor Avocado

This stuff is phenomenal! While I have not tried the other two 'T's' this is every bit the equal of the AOS, and while the AOS is wonderful stuff, I think I prefer this. First, the scent is not bad at all, I think the person who said cucumbers was spot on. At any rate, it is quite fresh and cool, definitely does not smell like avocado and while I find it pleasant, I don't find myself drawn to the tub to sniff it during the day. Like I do with The Shave Den's Bourbon Vanilla, for instance. I like the scent, I would not clamor for it.

The other lower mark I gave it was for packaging, which I simply could not care less about. It is workmanlike and gets the job done, but like the scent, it is not at all remarkable. AOS presentation in this regard is much nicer, but really, who cares???

On every other level, this cream is superb. It lathers like a bomb, it would be hard to imagine having trouble lathering this cream. It is dense and cushiony in the extreme, every bit as dense as the AOS. Moisturizing properties are second to none, but that should be expected with an avocado oil or coconut oil cream additive, that's what avocado oil does.

When compared to every other premium cream, the price is ridiculous. That, coupled with its top qualities makes it an incredible value. Maybe C.O. Bigelow is a 'better' value, but this cream is not that much of a jump in price, and it is definitely my favorite cream. AOS and the Bigelow are tied for my second faves, but the price differential between those is much larger.

I cannot say anything about the other two 'T's', but I may never get there. I just can't see me purchasing them after the comments here from more experienced shavers who have tried all three 'T's'.

I think I found my daily cream and the standard by which I will judge other creams. Try this, you won't be disappointed.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is an absolutely phenomenal creme. Easy to lather, has great moisturizing properties, and leaves your face feeling great. This creme is reasonably priced and lasts a long time.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Great shaves with this, but as noted, it does not smell like avocado so don't let that put you off trying it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is the best shaving cream I've used. Period.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is one of my favorite creams, period. The Taylor's line is one of the more affordable "luxury" English creams, and perform well no matter the scent. Taylor's Avocado, however, is the cream (heh) of the crop.

The scent is fresh and spring-like - lemongrass, geraniums, citrus, cucumber. It hangs around a little after the shave and blends well with citrus-based colognes, vetivers, and bay rum (Ogallala Lime & Peppercorn!).

The lather this cream makes is out of this world - thick, fluffy, smooth, slick as all get-out, and just feels fantastic on your face. A little bit goes a long way - ToBS creams are my current standard for latherability and lather performance. The cushion the blade phenomenally and provide excellent lubrication. Avocado is the most moisturizing cream in my shave-basket, to the point where I don't necessarily use a moisturizer/balm afterwards.

I take a point off on the packaging because I've noticed a tendency of the lids to leak slightly in transport.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
IMHO this is the best cream I have ever used. I have Castle Forbes, DR Harris, GFT, and 15+ others. It lathers great...provides the best slickness...and cushions great! My only complaint is the scent...it's kind of floral...kind of like rose. Not my favorite scent...but I use the cream religiously because it is a top performer.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)