What's new

Taylor's Avacado

Item Description

I'm a big fan of the Taylor's creams, and an even bigger fan of the Avocado (the new scent). For me, there are few shaving products that are finer.

Price - Unlike the other English creams (the 2 remaining T's specifically), Taylor's is a bargain.

Scent - I almost didn't purchase this cream because I had read several reviews where people spoke of their strong distaste for the scent. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I absolutely love the smell of this cream. It is a very fresh, natural, clean smell. While the name of the cream would indicate an avocado-like smell, this is not the case. The name is derived from the inclusion of avocado oil.

Latherability - This lather from this cream is superb. It explodes off of the brush, allowing a small amount of cream to make enough lather for many passes.

Moisturizing Properties - One of this cream's "claims to fame" is its fantastic moisturizing property. A major reason for the purchase of this cream was to battle the dry skin that accompanies the winter months, and it certainly lived up to all of the hype. I would imagine that, if used in the summer, an aftershave balm would not be necessary when using this product.

Packaging - There is nothing regal or special about the packaging. It is a PVC tub, no more and no less. At first I was a little disappointed with this presentation, however, I imagine that this is one of the compromises for keeping the price low.

Quality / Efficacy - As far as I am concerned, Taylor's Avocado is everything that a shaving cream should be. It smells great, lathers great, lubricates great, moisturizes great, and is sold for a great price. I guess this would make it a great, great, great, great, great product!

Latest reviews

Pros: thick rich lather
Cons: none
I received a sample of this in a PIF. When I first opened it I thought there's no way that this will provide enough for even one shave. How wrong, this stuff lathers like there's no tomorrow. I'm not wild about the scent. It does smell like avacado, and while I think avacados are delicious, I've never smeared them on my face before. If I were to buy this I'd prefer it in a tube, like Proraso. But, all in all, this is quality stuff and I actually prefer it to their Sandalwood cream for its moisturizing ability.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: The smell wasn't awful
Cons: Lack of latherability and moisturizing
This was the cream I bought with my very first DE razor so I had nothing to compare it to. I purchased it based on that famous wet shaving article that mentioned it followed up by all of the hype it received on this site.

I can say that after trying the Kiss My Face line (which is my day to day one now) and The Art of Shaving Lemon (when I want to treat myself) Taylor's avocado pales in comparison. The latherability and moisturizing properties of this are just no match for either of the other ones I just mentioned.

I get it that these old school creams carry a certain panache but that's all it has going for it. Anyone who does a "blind test" with KMF (which is only $8) or Art of Shaving will see that it's not worth the money and the quality isn't on par. I would never buy another Taylor cream again when there are far better ones for half the price and much more luxurious options for a little more.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice mild (melony) scent, whips up nicely, slick shaves
Cons: None so far
My experience with creams are limited, but this is a nice one. I use it as a nice "before bed" shave cream so I'm not overwhelmed with a strong scent. This one doesn't remind me of avocado but it does have a mild melon type scent. It's a great scent for both sexes. It whips up easily and does a great job. It's a nice addition to the lineup.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)