What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin

Item Description

So, I finally got around to trying one of my samples of this cream this morning. Overall, I'd say it's an excellent cream. This is not simply regular Taylor's without the scent, but a cream that is formulated with different ingredients and without any fragrance oil or essential oils for scent.

The ingredients are as follows:

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis, Allantoin, Benzyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

Compared to "regular" Taylor's it is lacking Triethanolamine, and the Parabens. The Aloe and Allantoin are presumably added for soothing skin benefits and the Benzyl Alcohol for it's antiseptic properties.

This cream is about the same consistency as the Taylor's Avocado tubs I've received in the last few months. That is, pretty dense. Perhaps this cream is a slightly less dense, but not by much. It is definitely more dense than the Trumpers creams I've tried and I assume the aloe gives it a slightly "gooey" texture compared to regular Taylors.

Anyway, I had no problem whipping up a nice thick lather with this cream. For me, it lathers as good or better as any cream out there. It also feels nice on the face and provides plenty of cushion for the shave. I felt no irritation and did not get any razor burn from using this cream. The cream was plently slick enough for the razor to glide. The scent is a pleasant soapy scent with a hint of aloe. Pretty much exactly what I want from an unscented cream. Although I always use an aftershave balm, my face felt fine and not dried out after using this cream. Overall, it is not quite as slick and moisturizing as the Gentleman's Refinery Unscented cream, but it is more than adequate. Since this cream more dense and concentrated than the TGR cream, it will probably last about twice as long. It's also $10-15 less expensive than the TGR cream, so it's a much better overall value, IMHO.

I would highly recommend this cream, especially if you have sensitive skin or are new to wetshaving. It's also great for guys who prefer unscented products. I will definitely be purchasing this cream myself eventually.

The discussion thread for this review is posted here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=998619#post998619

Latest reviews

Pros: Soothing, no smell other than clean
Good stuff ! A tub lasts a long time.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: price and performance
Since moving to a shavette and Feather Artist SS razor, this is first premium quality shave cream I have purchased, based on amazon reviews. (I used wilkinson sword soap prior to this).

This shave cream has neutral scent. It lathers very quickly and easily. A little goes a long way. I have very sensitive skin. After trialing shavettes and blades combinations, this cream really performs!

The lather is rich, it doesn't dry out quickly and doesn't sting if you nick yourself. A little goes a very long way so it lasts quite well. Used in conjunction with a pre-shave oil it delivery a satisfying shave. I can't see anyone being less than happy with this one!

I have just purchased the ToBS Jermyn Sensitive cream to try out in comparison. The ingredients appear to be identical but the tub and price are not.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I liked this cream - no smell which sometimes i like.
I also use PRORASO which is the best but 2 / 3 weekly i use taylor hypo-allergenic shaving cream as my skin can get sensitive with air-con and sunshine.
Nice lather, no stickyness and no Fancy Dan packaging - safe and simple, fuss free packaging that is fit for a real man (like me).

I like this cream and it wasnt expensive which is nice. :thumbup:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability