What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street-Mr. Taylor Cream

Pros: Great aroma
Cons: Clogs my razor
I love the aroma and the lather however it clogs my razor which becomes a pain to clear while shaving.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: thick lather
Cons: strong detergent smell a little overpowering
I find this to get a great cream for a fast lather but the smell is a little strong much like walking down the detergent isle at the grocery store. good creme though.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, very easy to lather
I've been a longtime Italian and German fan, Proraso, Cella, Speick, Tabac but thought I'd better spend a bit more time with the English staples. This is a very easy to live with cream with dead easy latherability, thick cushioning and a nice moisturising effect.

Apart from what's already been posted in previous reviews I will say this, a little bit goes a very long way. My first lather I went at it like Cella and had a heap left over after three full passes and a buffing pass.

So far it's been OC razors on this cream and I do wonder how it will go with a standard or adjustable head as the lather has quite an amount of body. That said, cleanup was a breeze. Unlike Cella for example there is no need for excessive rinsing.

The scent is definitely more old school than some others, but I like it; its got a quality scent to it. I've found other soaps and creams that have a far stronger and off putting scent (sandalwood soaps and creams particularly for me) but this is a good middle of the range.

The cost is higher than some others I've tried but its not over the top.

Overall a great cream and a worthy addition to any den.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Fragrance, thick lather in a jiffy, razor glide
Cons: Nothing major - Would've loved to bump up the intensity of the fragrance up a notch.
I am just starting out shaving the traditional way and this is the first cream that I used. I am extremely happy with Mr. Taylor. It smells like a typical old school english barbershop (even the wife appreciates the fragrance). Can't compare it with others but I love this one. Lathering is so easy a caveman could do it. One small dab in the tub with my best badger brush and 10 swirls in a lathering bowl resulted in enough thick, mushy lather to last 5 passes; and this was the first time i ever lathered a shaving cream! Here are a couple of pics from my first shave with this cream - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/323961-Noob-from-Stockholm!/page2

Love it and would highly recommend Mr. Taylor!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Pros: usual taylors quality
Cons: scent
Gives a typical quality shave that you'd expect from Taylors. But I have tried all the Taylor's range and this is the only one I would never recommend.

Scent is a personal thing, but I just can't stand this one. Maybe when I'm an old man I'll change my mind, but there's better colonge scented creams.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
smells pretty great, but I have to be in the right mood for it. excellent cold weather shaving cream
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: The sent
A nice sent for those cold days.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: scent, lather-ability, price
Cons: short-lived scent
Clean, simple, old fashioned, soap-like smell. Whips up quickly into a luxurious and copious lather. Good protection throughout the shave. Packaging is functional. As a point of personal preference, the very pleasant scent fades too quickly. Mr. Taylor would be proud.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
0.00 star(s)
I love this cream. The scent is warm and relaxing and it whips up easily, producing a rich, abundant, slick and cushiony lather. It doesn't irritate my skin at all. It's my favorite Taylor cream..at least so far. I don't like the scent of the Avocado or the Sandalwood, but this one is a keeper.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
The TOBS Mr. Taylor cream is my go-to cream, and for good reason.

Price: This stuff sells at online vendors for about $14 a tub. While there are cheaper creams, I'd say that this goes into the second tier of price.

Scent: Scent is always so subjective, but I personally find this cream's scent to be amazing. It is cologne based, but the scent isn't TOO cologne-like. I've actually gone and bought several other Mr. Taylor scented products, which unfortunately haven't generally been as good smelling.

Latherability: Fantastic. If you can't get a great lather using this stuff, you won't be able to get a lather using anything. One of the easiest lathering creams I've used and produces loads of lather to boot.

Efficacy and Moisturizing: I think that these two kind of go hand in hand. This isn't the slickest lather you'll ever use, but the cushion is great and I haven't ever had a problem with the shave I get with it. It moisturizes decently, but I use balm afterwards anyways.

Packaging: Very utilitarian. It's not the prettiest thing out there, but it works great. The plastic tubs help keep the cost down and the clear plastic insert helps keep the cream moist.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Along with a tube of Proraso, this was my first foray into DE shaving in Aug 09.

I found it nice, but not impressive, so it fell by the wayside, as I got into soaps. a couple of months ago, with cold weather set in, I broke it out again, but my technique had improved since its last use.

It's brilliant. For me, it's the cream equivalent of Tabac soap for performance. I've tried some samplers of other TOBS, and recently wanted to try Avocado, which is ok - but Mr T performs better than the others for me.

Plus the scent is very heady. Musky and strong and I like it a lot. All cream scents are only for the shave experience anyway, I've not come across a single one that lingers after being washed off.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I started DE shaving 1/1/10. I started with Proraso, and then I purchased Mr Taylor's. Mr T is a winner in all categories. The scent is clean and fresh, like a quality cologne. The lather is rich, and the shave is close. 2 passes on my face, 2 passes on the head, and I didn't want to stop. This is a keeper in my rotation.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
If I ever met Mr Tayor himself, I would shake him by the hand and then smell his face - this stuff smells great.

View attachment 64817

As expected with TOBS, it lathers great and protects well. The scent is great and subtle, and doesnt last long enough to clash with colognes (which is great, I just hate it when creams & soaps decide theyre colognes too).

I really like this stuff, though its not quite up there with the stuff that I will always have in my den. I do however, have so much stuff that this will probably take several years to finish - hooray!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Just used for the fisrt time this morning, and it blew me away. Awsome proformance and scent.
I've now tried all the ToBS range, and I think Eaton College and St James have a better scent than Mr Taylor - but they all do the job very well.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
I greatly enjoyed using this cream. The scent is very rich and full, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the aroma during the shave, I was glad that it faded away sufficiently to just linger after the shave. I wouldn't like to have such a heavy scent present all day.

Lathered beautifully, and was very slick. Left my skin feeling wonderfully moisturised and clean.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is the best shaving cream i have ever used, no need to use pre-shave oil when i started using TOBS Mr. Taylor. :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This is my third Taylor's cream and find it along with St. James to be one whose scent inspired me to get the cologne. I tried it this morning along with the shampoo, aftershave, deodorant & cologne for a grand day out with Mr. Taylor. I must say that his products performed well, and the shaving cream was spot on giving me quite the close shave with my 40's SuperSpeed loaded with a Dorco. Mr. Taylor has earned a well deserved spot on my rotation along with St. James especially as the winter starts up and I move away from my mintier, cooler selection....
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Been using this product for about a week and it has transformed my shaving enjoyment, i simply LUV it. This, in my opinion, is a superb cream, one which any serious wet shaver should have in their shaving arsenal. Try it, you will not be disappointed :smile:.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Excellent in every respect. The closest to a criticism is the tendency of it to "shift" and the little plastic inner cap to stick to the creme. Shaving is fabulous and you hardly need an after shave or balm at all. The scent is absolutely fabulous and does remind me of an old barber shop from when I was a kid. Great stuff!! Highly recommend you try this one. The scent is strong enough (very calming, I think) during the shave and if you use the after-shave it really lasts. If you don't it fades for those days you don't want the scent following you around! Had great results exercising right after shaving with this one.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)