What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street-Mr. Taylor Cream

Item Description

Sorry I don't have a digital camera, but I did want to review this product. I will preface my review by saying I believe Taylor's to be of superb quality and a great value at $13.50 for a tub. Taylor's creams continue to be unsurpassed in their quality of lather and gentleness on my skin. That being said, onto the review..

Packaging
I've always received the tubs in zippered bags, so no pretty box thus far.

The Cream
Upon opening the lid, immediately you can see how the cream is a denser consistancy than some of Taylor's other blends. This cream is almost a waxy denseness that you can really dip your brush into and twist a few times and there's very little impression made in the cream from the brush head. The denseness also contributes to a long lasting nature of the cream. If this cream is part of your rotation, you should have no problem getting 6-8 months out of it.

The Aroma
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Good Lord. When you open the lid, your olfactory senses just go bezerk. This is one of those creams I just keep bringing up to my nose and taking big whiffs of. Now, obviously aromas are a very personal thing, but I haven't heard anyone complain of this cream. In my opinion, the aroma is a very complex combination of citrus, spice and leather. It is a bold aroma, yet it is not overpowering. This just screams masculine. I cannot think of enough adjectives to describe how this cream just keeps on giving. The complex aromas can really deliver different feelings on different mornings. That's something I most enjoy about this cream.

Latherability
As with all Taylor Creams, the lathering is a cinch. A few swirls of the badger in the tub, into a hot mug with some piping hot water and a few swirls of the brush and before you know it, you've got rich thick lather with stiff peaks and a meringue like texture. Lathering is no problem with any Taylor Cream I've ever tried. :thumbup1:

Lubricity & Moisturizing Properties
This may be the one area where I back off this cream just a tad bit. Since it is a cologne based cream, I don't believe it has the same moisturizing effects as say their Almond Cream does, but it's close. Overall, it's not anything worth degrading the cream over, but it is a "notable" aspect of it. If you have extra sensitive skin, this may not be exactly the cream for you. Then again, you may be ok.

Overall
I consider this to be the crown jewel of Taylor's Cream line and it's one I'll have on hand at all times. It's complex nature but subtle qualities are enough to keep me coming back tub after tub after tub. The price is right on this cream and its long-lasting effectiveness is a great selling point. Bottom line, Taylor got it right with this cream.

Latest reviews

Pros: Great aroma
Cons: Clogs my razor
I love the aroma and the lather however it clogs my razor which becomes a pain to clear while shaving.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Pros: thick lather
Cons: strong detergent smell a little overpowering
I find this to get a great cream for a fast lather but the smell is a little strong much like walking down the detergent isle at the grocery store. good creme though.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, very easy to lather
I've been a longtime Italian and German fan, Proraso, Cella, Speick, Tabac but thought I'd better spend a bit more time with the English staples. This is a very easy to live with cream with dead easy latherability, thick cushioning and a nice moisturising effect.

Apart from what's already been posted in previous reviews I will say this, a little bit goes a very long way. My first lather I went at it like Cella and had a heap left over after three full passes and a buffing pass.

So far it's been OC razors on this cream and I do wonder how it will go with a standard or adjustable head as the lather has quite an amount of body. That said, cleanup was a breeze. Unlike Cella for example there is no need for excessive rinsing.

The scent is definitely more old school than some others, but I like it; its got a quality scent to it. I've found other soaps and creams that have a far stronger and off putting scent (sandalwood soaps and creams particularly for me) but this is a good middle of the range.

The cost is higher than some others I've tried but its not over the top.

Overall a great cream and a worthy addition to any den.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)