What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street Eton College After Shave

Pros: The great longlasting scent
Price- This is a great aftershave, the scent is excellent with good longevity; a good value at this price.

Quality- Very well packaged, great presentation, high quality scent. Continues the history of high quality products associated with TOBS.

Fights Razor burn- I rarely get this, but when I notice that the AS has a quick alcohol burn, but then does sooth a little

Cooling sensation. None.

Scent- I love it- starts strong with citrus and something musky underneath, this will then ease into a great subtle fragrance that will last about 6 hours or more. A very elegant fragrance.

Efficacy- If I use a little more it works pretty well, lasts for a long time, but it stays close to your person.

Moisturizing- For me, there was some soothing feeling after the alcohol sensation left after the initial application, but I could not call this a moisturizing AS.

No alcohol burn- There a little alcohol burn.

Overall? - Great, one of the better aftershave fragrances out there
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
As far as splashes are meant to tone and aid the skin in the restoration process after the onslaught we call shaving, this aftershave is actually a below average, perhaps even mediocre, product. It only contains alcohol, water, and isopropyl myristate plus fragrance, and that's it. I have seen far cheaper aftershaves which do better here with, say, glycerin, or allantoin, or various herb extracts. The isopropyl myristate does a pleasant job of slightly fattening the skin for about an hour or so, but that's literally all you're going to get from this product.

There is no genuine alcohol burn; instead you get fragrance burn because of the citrus oils in the formulation. Only when you've had an A+-shave will you be able to reduce that particular burn to a tingle. So be careful in judging when to apply this aftershave.

Given that it contains almost no caring compounds, the price of this product is absurdly high. For the same amount I can purchase a bottle of Musgo Real splash, which cares for the skin to a fault. The contrast between the products is very stark indeed.

Really, the only good thing Eton College AS has going for it is its fragrance. Instead of the almost nauseating heavy sweetness of the cream (or the body wash), we have here, as the packaging states, a mix of brightly sparkling citrus oils with rich wooden undertones. The citrus is that of orange, not lemon or lime or grapefruit, making it fairly unique in my limited experience with fragrances. It is precisely that orange note that screams SPRING! (the season, not the activity) to me like nothing else, and it is for that reason alone that I replaced my first bottle. That said, given that the splash it is practically a cologne, I am very tempted to find out if the genuine Eton College cologne has an identical fragrance and purchase that once my bottle of splash runs out.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Price- I'm sorry, no way an alcohol based aftershave should ever go beyond $15.00. At least, not in my shave den- but I figured I would try it out anyway.

Quality- great presentation, high quality scent. I'd say it's a high quality product.

Fights Razor burn- I don't often get razor burn, so I can't rate it on this.

Cooling sensation. None to speak of, but then again, there is no menthol in this.

Scent- I love it- citrus with something musky underneath. Not a home run for my nose, but real close.

Efficacy- If I use a fair amount (quarter sized puddle in a cupped hand) it works pretty well. The only problem is, I can't really afford to throw around that much product at $26 a bottle. Compared to Harris sandalwood (a few shakes of the bottle, much less than Taylor), it takes much more and still falls short of the glorious performance of the Harris

Moisturizing- See above- works fine if I use a fair amount, perhaps still slightly drying. Using a more reasonable amount, I find it kind of drying.

No alcohol burn- I really didn't feel much of any. If I have done my job right with the lather and the shave, I rarely get a burn out of any splash. This seemed better than most though.

Overall? A GREAT scent with basically average performance, unless I use more than I feel I should have to. Nothing wrong with that, except at $26 a bottle, I can't afford it on a regular basis, and frankly, it's not 5-6 times better than a drugstore splash. I do like it, but will probably not repurchase- it's just a money vs performance issue for me.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Its a real good product, Taylor quality.
The scent is really what I enjoy most, but don't misunderstand me, it works well. It does what it's supposed to, and moisturizes adequatly for an alcohol based lotion.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Let me give a preface: Although I rated this a little less...I HONESTLY like this aftershave and use it when I go out on the town exclusively. I am also a man who likes the 'burn' of the alcohol, menthol, and clove/cinnamon type AS.

This is my first higher end aftershave. If it's more than 5 bucks? I skip it. I just like Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, and Clubman. [I am trying to save money, although the RAD got me for a short time.] But since I have the Eton College shaving cream from TOBS I had to get the mirror in aftershave.

Price: I placed it in the middle only because at $25 vice $5 I use the inexpensive stuff. I dunno what to rate it to because it seems like the other higher end stuff is up there too. AND since my guess is that this stuff has to be shipped overseas to get here? It's gonna be more expensive.

Quality: EW...I like the stuff and so does the woman I am with. So what's quality go to do with it?

Fights Razor Burn: Uh....I thought razor burn came from the razor vice the AS. Much like rug burn comes from the rug! However...I don't think it does.

Cooling Sensation: It's got that cooling sensation, but nothing near Skin Bracer or Aqua Velva! I have to rate it as more cool that cold like the other two.

Scent: OK..here goes. Nothing derogatory, but the first time I took the cap off I swear it smelled like lighter fluid. OK...so maybe my sniffer wasn't working that day. But I shook it a little and since that time it has been wonderful. It really does have a citrus smell to it with a woodsy type undertone...or maybe the other way around, but I like it.

Efficacy: Hmmm.....it does what it's supposed to do. It tones the skin and tightens it. However with that said, the scent itself didn't last very long at all...maybe like two hours. I rate it right along with the Pinaud Bay Rum for length of scent.

Moisturizing: No moisturizing in it...it's an alcohol based product.

But again? I like this product.

No Alcohol Burn:
Okay, this is an alcohol-based product, but for what it is, it works really well. There's the initial burn, then a nice cooling sensation. The initial hit of fragrance is really nice...citrusy and woody. Over time, as it settles out, what remains is - to me - a very pleasant scent. My fiance loves it too. It contains enough essential oils to smooth your skin, and the company says that it also contains herbs for healing and toning. As alcohol-based aftershaves go, this is one of my very favorites.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)