What's new

Talisker 18

I bought this at duty free at Dun Edin's airport duty free airport shop.

I had previously tried the 10 and it had become my cold weather whisky.

If you have tried the 10, you know everything said about is true. It is peppery hot and the warmth lingers.

The 18 is like the 10 but oh so smooth. It has greater complexity, and subtlety than the 10 and has become a quick favorite.

An outstanding dram and highly recommended.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
0.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
View attachment 6611

Talisker is primarily known for their 10 year old and 25 year old malts. But the 18 is a forgotten gem. I looked for this one for over a year before I finally tracked down a bottle and I glad I did.
Talisker hails from the Isle of Skye and was a favorite of Robert Louis Stevenson. The 18 yo is also used in Johnnie Walker Gold.
The 18 year is 91.6 proof and runs from around $50-$55.

Nose: Sea Spray, black pepper, lemons, fruit candy, nuts, oak driftwood and mild smoke.

Palate: Honeyed heather, lemongrass, candied pears, sugar cane, then salty spray, spices, orange, and leather, oak, and sweetened tobacco. Oak boat docks, salt and then a blast of pepper. Beautifully balanced.

Finish: The sweetness lasts through the finish as does the peppery heat, both matching each other punch for punch with lemongrass, gum drops, smoky peat and maritime oak. An absolutely beautifully balanced whisky.

This is a gem and for an 18 year old Single Malt you can't beat a $50 price tag. The power is not that of the acclaimed 10 year, but there is far more maturity and complexity and still the same flavor profile that make the 10 so popular. I highly recommend this Scotch. It has beautiful composition and complexity, all weighed together and matched evenly. Nothing is overpowering but there is a wealth of flavors, honey, peat, smoke, salt spray, oak, candied fruit, a dance on the palate.

Overall Score: 94

Here's a link to the Discussion Thread.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Value
5.00 star(s)
Flavor
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)