What's new

Tabula Rasa

Item Description

Today I'm reviewing a great product and easily one of the best shaving creams out there. The "Tabula Rasa" is an unscented shaving cream, handmade from natural ingredients in very small batches in Berlin, Germany and is especially intended for people with very sensitive skin as there are no fragrance oils or preservatives added.

The cream contains mango butter, shea butter, argan oil and a special, natural product called "Stimu-Tex" from a Swiss Company that has a softening, nurturing effect on the skin.

Ingredients (INCI): Aqua, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Argania Spinoza Kernel Oil, Hordeum Vulgare Wax, Butyrospermum Parkii Extract, Mangifera Indica Butter, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Borate.

Now for the review:

Price
at 20€ for 90g (27$ - 3,17oz.) it's quite expensive - but worth every cent of it.

Quality
10/10 here - a great product that leaves nothing to be desired.

Scent
Well, you could give it a zero or a ten here - I decided to go for the full score. The TR is unscented and even though there's a slight odor from the ingredients, it's next to scentless which is a good thing when you're making superlather or don't want the shaving cream to interfere with the AS/Cologne.

Latherability
Use very little water and a hazelnut-sized amount of cream and you'll get great great lather in next to no time.

Efficacy / Moisturizing Properties
If you suffer from dry skin you're in for a real treat, the TR moisturizes your face like hardly anything else out there due to the mango- and shea-butter and the arganoil. It's also very slick so your razor will cut through your beard as if it were butter and the thick, stiff lather provides excellent protection for your face.

Packaging
The Tabula Rasa comes in a nice metal-screw container and is additionally protected by plastic foil to avoid a potential (harmless!) reaction of the cream and the tin. In the future it'll come in plastic tubs to avoid this.

PLEASE USE THIS THREAD FOR THE DISCUSSION IF YOU'RE NOT REVIEWING THE PRODUCT!

Latest reviews

Pros: Moisturizing and protective properties
Cons: Price
I picked up the Vitever-Tangerine version from Lee's. Although Shaving101 recommends hand-lathering, I went ahead and tried to bowl lather in my scuttle. The lather turned out perfect. A fingernail sized amount yielded enough lather for 3 passes with a neck touchup and had plenty to spare. Despite the higher cost, the performance more than makes up for it. I often suffer from razor burn, and have experienced very smooth results with this product. Recommended
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
GREAT stuff,love the smell and after I shave my face feels like it has lotion on it.It does lather very easily but I lather it in my hand like it is recommended on Lee's site and it is nice and thick lather.

Paul
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Tabula Rasa was a bucket list cream for me shrouded in mystery. I wanted something different to try and I got it - this is weird stuff. Forget what you think a cream (or soap) is supposed to look, feel, and smell like. The tub is light and fluffy with the consistency of aerated whipped cream. After opening the tub and sniffing my first impression was of paint. Uh oh. But then again, how many vetiver tangerine creams are there?

Since Lee from Lee’s Razors made a big deal about lathering this stuff I took him seriously and proceeded with caution. With so many extra instructions I had no expectations that it would lather at all. I scooped a quarter sized dollop into an empty wood Trumper’s soap bowl. I shook the brush well and proceeded to work. Added drops of water here and there and after 25 swirls I was in for a treat. As a side, it takes quite a bit more product than a regular cream per shave.

The lather is just as different as the raw cream; light, dense, slick, not creamy as soap, but still holds tremendous cushion. I had tons of lather. The smell explodes in the room and it is not paint, it is GREEN CUT GRASS on steroids. It instantly made me think of Creed Original Vetiver. This scent is nice. My nostrils are full of this for two hours post and that is not a bad thing. I enjoy this most in an early morning 4 am shave. BAM. POW. WAKE UP. It is perfect for my early morning commute. I think it puts me in a better mood.

It’s weird, smells great, but how does it shave? Silky with no irritation. There is protection while still cutting close, but the party here is how well it treats the skin post. I reckon there is something to the secret ingredient Stimu Tex (moisturizing mojo) after all. Personally, I like the shave quality more than the three T's or Castle Forbes.

Highly recommended.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability