What's new

Tabac Shave Soap

Pros: Great scent.
Cons: Horrible shave.
I don't mean to be negative, and to each his own, but I really quite disliked this shave soap. I've been wet shaving for a long time, and used many products and for me this was one of the worst. I loved the scent, however I could not, no matter what I did, get a shave without great irritation and after 4 or 5 shaves gave up on this soap entirely. I loved the glass dish / bowl the soap came in, and I say again that I enjoyed the scent, but comfort is #1 for me and this did not suit my skin well. YMMV.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to create a thick rich lather
I would say this is essential for any new D.E. shaver.
The ease with which this can be whipped up to a luxurious lather makes one less thing the new shaver has to worry about. I do have to say I would like a little more slickness but maybe i just need to adjust the water a little.
I'm very pleased with this soap.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Dense foam, not much razor burn after a shave
Cons: Smells like Boraxo soap, expensive, better alternatives
Tabac is a good shave soap as it has a dense foam and the razor burn after a shave is nearly nonexistent. However, the scent of this soap is just like the Boraxo soap sold in the '80s and the price is too high. I'm guessing that a big part of the price is the porcelain bowl the soap comes in, which is a nice touch, but not really necessary. Drop it and it might shatter. This is just an okay kind of soap, but not really worth the money. There are better options like Trader Joe's Cream Shave.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Very Slick Lather
Very easy to lather up with my Omega Boar Brush. Provides a very slick cushion for the razor to glide through and gives a close smooth shave. I did think it was quite expensive, but after two weeks of daily use, I've hardly made a dent in it. The jar is very nice and classy in a minimalist way. Love this stuff !
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Reactions: Lockback
Pros: Great lather
Cons: NONE
I love Tabac. It always lathers up great, and provides for a great shave. The scent has a nice 1970s vibe. It doesn't matter whether I use a high end badger or a bottom of the barrel boar, this stuff always excels. 3 thumbs up.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great scent, good lather
Cons: Used up quickly
I really love this soap.
It doesn't have the best lather of any soap, it doesn't give the best shave of any soap and it's not the cheapest of any soap, but it does VERY well at all of these. The winning point is the scent. I love how this soap smells! In the bowl, it's a strong, masculine scent. after the shave, the scent barely lingers, so it doesn't compete with any aftershave or cologne.
A warm, thick, Tabac scented lather in the morning is like sitting in a leather high backed chair drinking a rich cup of coffee. I love waking up with it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to lather, very slick for smooth shave
Cons: not sold in Korea
I started with a cheap glycerine soap and then moved to Tabac after 10 days.....wow what a difference. Now that I have tried some different quality soaps I want to review Tabac.

This is a great soap for a newbie, easy to lather and provides slickness and protection when learning how to use a DE.

At first I did not like the sent but now I am growing to like it. It will never be my favorite scent but enjoyable. I prefer little to no scent so it does not interfere with my as or asb.

I have also tried MWF, L'Occitanne and Proraso soaps. They are all good but the MWF and Tabac stand apart for me. I can't choose which is better but in the dry winter I think I would prefer MWF and when I don't need the moisturizing Tabac.

It is nice when a product lives up to the hype.http://badgerandblade.com/vb/images/smilies/yellow_guys/thumbup.gif
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Thick lather, great scent
Cons: None
I just received it and I am amazed. Used it with boar brush and it exploded with lather with no effort. The thickest lather I've experienced. Better then Dr. Harris, P-160, Palmira and Speick (my tallow collection). Not to mention veggie soaps- no comparison.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, creamyness
Cons: none
Thanks for the beautiful review, Joel. Tabac Original is fantastic! Although a dry used puck will smell slightly funky, the soap, worked up, has a unique and rich, masculine scent, and lathers amazingly well. If you shop around, you can find it for 23$, which is a steal. I love the ceramic pot and cover. This is a must try, folks! Enjoy.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Slick, silky feeling
Cons: uses a lot of water
Tabac seems to be an excellent shaving soap. Note that I have the refill puck which I shaved the edge off (about 3- 5mm) to place into a 12 ounce mug. This soap lathers easily and it is easy to load the brush. However, the soap requires lots of water compared to other soaps so be prepared to run (very briefly) or dip your loaded brush into water between each pass. In my case the first pass is fine but if I don't add water to the brush the second is thick and hard to rinse off of the razor. A third pass requires another dip of the tip of the brush in water. This is a minor quibble and not the first time I have run into this. Overall I would recommend Tabac to people but caution the the price is higher than many other products. I received a smooth shave from Tabac and will gladly put it into rotation.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Slick lather, reasonable price, nice container
Cons: None
Tabac is a very popular item with a lot of discussion on these boards. There aren't many people who argue about the quality and ease of producing rich, slick lather. However, people do have issues with the scent. I find the scent has a powdery smell to it that at first reminded me of some kind of makeup old ladies wear, but then as I mixed the lather it took on a more clean, fresh scent. Price: I got a used container, so price was greatQuality: This is an exceptional product that is very forgiving on lather productionScent: For some reason I thought a name like Tabac was going to have tobacco notes, but that was nothing like the scent. It is powdery, fresh, clean, and I enjoy it. I do not like flowery scents but lean more toward muskLather: It is rich, slick, and very effectiveMoisturizing: Use enough water in your lather and you will be fine.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
I have the same puk for about 3 years now. The scent realy went down. But still use it at least once a week. Already have a new one waiting. One soap I will always have in my rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
D
Pros: Cheap, big soap,great scent,easy to use, easy to shave with
Cons: Strong scent (if you don't like strong scent, I love it)
Tabac, its great on smell, price, and easy to use. You get 125g of soap with a heavy ceramic bowl BUY it its a must :drool:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Performance, scent, cost
Cons: None!
Tabac is a staple. The first few times I tried it, i wasnt crazy about the smell. Over the course of a few weeks, Ive become crazy for the smell. It smells slightly flowery and soapy. As for the performance, there's not much better. Pretty much all of my best shaves have been with Tabac. The glass bowl is cool and retro, and definitely worth it. I fill the bowl up with hot water while I shower to soften the soap. Ive shaved with it multiple times per week for 9 months and im not even halfway through it. Must have for any serious shaver.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, moisture, lather
Great soap as has been noted. When I first opened this it just smelled of really strong soap...not bad, but nothing special. After being open for a couple days, the scent seemed to bloom into something very nice! Now I understand the hype over the scent. Easy to lather and holds a lot of water.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
The best soap i have used (i have used tobs sandlewood, proraso green, omega, and williams) it lathers like crazy....the price may seem a bit steep, but it doesn't take but like a few swirls to get a great lather
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Lathers quickly and easily
Cons: scent doesn't linger
First soap I tried and still the best I've tried. (though I've only tried 5 now)

The price for the ceramic bowl and soap was good, refills are pretty cheap. The puck is larger than some other brand pucks so you get more for the price.

I personally love the smell, wish it lasted a bit longer.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Infinite lather, predictable performance, outstanding value
Cons: None known
I was so happy to find this soap shortly after switching to DE shaving. Tabac provides Gobs of slick cushioning lather. :001_tt1:

For the newbie or the experienced shaver Tabac is the (go to) soap that will never disappoint.

Tabac is the GOLD standard!!!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Reasonably priced, nice scent, superb lather
Cons: Some folks don't like the scent.
Tabac has been one of my favorites since it found me. Everything about this soap spells quality. The milk-glass jar is heavy and solid, not to mention it looks good on the shelf. The soap itself smells (to me) leathery and masculine. This is one of the soaps that I'm always tempted to taste once I get it lathered up. (Don't do it, it don't taste like it smells. :bored:) The lather is rich and slick and my face feels great after a shave. The price isn't bad either. I'm glad I grabbed it when I found it on sale. :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Love this soap as a daily shave. I like the scent, and more importantly so does SWMBO.

Great, easy lather and good shaves. It's a workhorse soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)