What's new

Tabac Cologne....

Pros: Strong
Cons: Granny, Lavendar "top note".
I'm sorry; but add me to the haters. I expected some great manly scent, and I can only suggest you do what I did. Find it, and try some on; before you buy it.
Granny, old lady, lavendar top note kills this complex scent, for me. A cheap smell, to me. Comparitively, my Obsession balm, is the bomb. Maybe that's my issue with Tabac smell. I think we can get the good shave performace (in Tabac soaps) from MWF, Cella, or even Van Der Hagen "Deluxe", if you work it up dryer, for one minute.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Nothing
Cons: noxious stench!
This is the most disgusting smelling cologne I haver ever been exposed to. The only way I can describe the smell is: A mix of moth balls and a stale potpourri of mostly roses. I saw on another board somebody described it as smelling like a dingy old thrift store or a 5 and Dime - this I would agree with too (you know mothballs and and potpourri are always at such). Yuck!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Complexity
0.00 star(s)
Staying Power
0.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)
I used to worry about putting this one on. I thought is smelled VERY STRONG. But the ladies at work have shown me the light....:tongue_sm
I love Tabac!! It is an old time scent, but I never smelt it as I grew up (was around OS, brut, british sterling, english leather etc.) so I get to experience this one without having to think it is an "old man" scent. I feel it is a step above those drugstore finds I just mentioned though I love them as well. I want to rate it all tens because I am amazed that after transferring to an atomizer, all I need is 1-2 sprays to last the whole day and I bought the 10 oz. bottle for $25 which seems the size of a football. Cheapest deal out there. The scent is not complex, but it is what it is, and that's all I want it to be. It's peppery, powdery, masculine and so fresh and so clean clean! I like spraying it on with a base spray of sandalwood to round it out. :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Wow what can I say?? I do believe this is the cologne Steve McQueen was wearing while he was tearing up San Fransisco. It smells of dominance and win.

Smells fantastic, it is fairly cheap and easy to acquire. Fragrance is powdery and floral when applied (at least to me) but the dry down is a very subtle, yet declarative leather smell. It doesn't "scream" with a very pungent aroma; instead, it is a calm statement of confidence. I love this cologne. :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I just picked up this mammoth bottle and what can I say that hasn't been said above. This is the greatest value cologne on the market. I love the scent and it is not at all overpowering. I will echo however the comment above that it almost "feels" like a great aftershave rather than a cologne. Maybe this is why it has that splash on type of opening rather than a mister. Find it and enjoy!! :001_smile
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
D
I don't like florals; yet the florals in this blend pretty well. It's an interesting scent, spicy in a way I can detect with florals in the background that actually accent the spices.

It also seems to stay pretty well. The EdT would probably last longer of course; but this stuff's still detectable after a brush against the wrists, chest, and neck. Six hours later, or more.

All in all a great value and a decent scent. The kind of thing you want on you when you pull a girl close and she can smell your chest, but not something you want to soak yourself down with so we can smell you throughout the whole room. A wonderful little accent.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I agree with all the above reviewers (who liked this)--a great cologne that I stumbled across. And I don't even like cologne. I also agree that it's more like an A/S, really; this guy's not too, too complex but there's something in that scent that is just good. Kind of like Ping irons, if you're a golfer, or the Masters. I dunno, Tabac just seems like a solid smell that you really can't go wrong with. If you like the quality of tradition, you'll like Tabac.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
3.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I bought the shave soap and fell in love, so I had to buy the cologne. I don't remember the last time I bought, much less wore, cologne. That's how much I love this scent. I apply one dab very lightly around the chest and neck, and I'm good to go. This provides me with a pleasing yet subtle aroma all day. That is, if you like the scent. I'm no expert, but to me it smells of leather, spice, and a bit of vetiver and sandalwood to smooth things out a bit. Much like anything else, you either like it or you don't, and sampling is always a good idea. When comparing this in-store with the EDT, it was no contest. Neither the original nor "Tabac Man" EDT smelled anything like the soap. If you love the scent of the soap, this is the cologne you've been waiting for.

The bottle is very high-quality, attractive but not fussy, much like the ceramic shave soap bowl. In fact, they make a great couple. As for the cost, $25 for 10 oz. is the bargain of a lifetime. I'll probably have this bottle until I'm actually old enough to wear Tabac. :wink2:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I finally broke and gave it a try. I saw it in Perfumania at the mall and when I asked the clerk for it he got this look in his eye as if it was the dusty old bottle no one ever asked for. But I knew it was going to be good after that because who was he to judge with the "guido" look he had going on. $18.99! That was awesome, I mean it could have smelled like beets and I would have liked it. I opened the bottle as soon as I got in my truck and was like "eh" after smelling the cap. After I splashed a little on when I got home after about 10 minutes I asked my wife "wheres the nice smelling guy?" Oh wait it was me!!!:cool: Love it
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
I have just spent a week on holiday in Alta Badia here in Italy. Since this is an area in which, besides Italian people, German people live, I managed to find this product!
So, I bought the Cologne and the Shaving Cream (which I'll review later): I have to say that this is a particular scent, at first it doesn't impress me, but after some time the scent slightly changes and it's very very good!
And the price isn't high at all!!
A good alternative in my rotation; maybe it's more suitable for autumn/winter days?
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
It's been several hours now and I can still get wafts of this stuff from time to time (and I only applied a little). The citrus-floral notes have evaporated and there's just a pleasant hint of powdery, spicy musk lingering on my skin.

It's this that blows me away: the drydown is exquisite. Throughout the development of the fragrance there are hints of synthetic 60's/70's cheesiness, but it's so well-blended that it never comes to the fore. Then the drydown kicks in and there's no doubt that this is timeless. For a fragrance with such a complex tree of notes, it boils down to a soft musk that's so simple but oh-so-masculine. This is not at ALL what I expected. When I originally got the soap, I hated the scent from the word go; the EDC lacks the strong floral component and is much more pleasing to my nose. This isn't Grandma's make-up bag in the least (but could be if over-applied), and very much appeals to me despite my young age.

The closest thing to it that we have in the US is Aqua Velva Musk. But Tabac is like an upscale version with more character. It's very unique for this market.

Color me genuinely surprised. I expected a floral, soapy quasi-manly Euro scent; what I got was a blend of citrus, soft florals, powder, musk, spice and woods. Apply judiciously and Tabac rewards you with a classic, clean, soft aroma that is undeniably masculine.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Purchased the EDC based on several posts here suggesting that it was closest to the scent of the soap. That assessment was spot on. If you like the smell of Tabac soap, the EDC is pretty darn close.

The stuff is pretty reasonably priced, considering the SuperSized amount you get for your hard earned cash.

The Godzilla sized bottle is striking, and serves to make my smaller containers seem tiny next to the vast expanse of the Tabac monolith, making my other purchases seem puny to my bride. An unforeseen bonus!

The splash spout thingie is OK, but I hefted the darn thing once and decided that it should be decanted to a spray bottle. The plastic spout pops out easily, and then you just pour.

The scent...what can I add? I find it addicting, but the wife has described it variously as "old Ivory soap with testosterone", "like Aqua-Net hair-spray", and "boozy but nice". Every time she puts one of these questionable labels on the stuff, she always adds, "But I like it".

I wouldn't call this stuff complex, but for some reason it's a little different almost every time I put it on, almost like some crazy Willy Wonka candy that goes through the flavors of a four course meal as it dissolves.

It lasts through the workday on me.

I can understand how some would find this scent to resemble something you'd expect to find wafting through the halls of a nursing home...it strikes me that way right after I apply it.

It settles down to something much more likeable, but hard to describe...especially since it's kind of like a chameleon, changing day to day. Clean, a little soapy, but....well, like you'd expect a holster to smell like if you kept flowers in it when you had your Walther locked up elsewhere.

Worth a try, and if you don't like it some Tabacaholic will take it off your hands on BST for sure.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
WOW! I had read about Tabac for months now but had not bothered to order any. I was with my wife at Perfumania and saw the huge box on the shelf. I asked the clerk how much for a bottle and he said $20 and he will throw in a second one for $10 more. The better half is very hard to please but she really liked the scent so I bought both bottles. All I can saw is that is a fantastic leathery scent that I fell in love with right out of the box.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
It's all been said above...amazing power this TABAC has!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
0.00 star(s)
I got the 10 oz. bottle, as shown, from QED. Along with a few glass bottles with plastic atomizers. And a jar of the Tabac shave soap as well.

I'm not sure if it's the atomizers or what, but it doesn't last long on me. Which is a shame because I really like the Tabac smell. Clean, soapy, fresh. Very nice.

I think I'll try the cotton pad trick mentioned.

Great value though. I'm sure this one order gained me a couple of years worth of fine soap and cologne.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
3.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
Price/Quality/Packaging--I thought EDC was the middle of the road for price. Yes you get a lot for your money in the long run, but you're still shelling out $40+ in order to get it. It comes ina great big screw top bottle with 10oz of product inside. The bottle is NOT transparent, so you have to guess how much you have left, but there is no damage of product due to light. The bottle to me seems a little old fashioned. It reminds me of an Old Spice bottle. Old Spice being so cheap, it kind of brings down my rating for quality.

Scent--I think this is a great scent. It's not really a "heavy" scent, so it can be worn daily year round. It really reminds me of AV Musk, especially once it's dry, but initially it smells more of citrus and powder before drying to a musky scent with subtle hints of leather.

In the grand scheme of things, I really enjoy this scent, however since it almost smells of AV Musk on me I probably won't purchase it again. I'll just buy the AV Musk since it's cheaper.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
1.00 star(s)
To me EDC in a spray bottle has an awesome and a subtle scent of leather and tobacco soaked in orange and a bit of lemon juice, but its staying power is zero on my skin.
Experts from colognes industry suggest spraying a hair if we want a scent to linger a bit longer, and their advice helps with Tabac, yet a scent of this cologne even in hair still evaporates very quickly. Maybe I got an old bottle.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
0.00 star(s)
It is the worst cologne I ever smell. Floral old poor powdery lady
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
0.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)
D
Simply an awesome daily wear cologne. I love how this stuff's scent randomly emits from my body. Everyone says a little sweat causes it to react. I believe this is probably the case. I love the scent and never grow tired of it.

The single downfall is my wife thinks it makes me smell like an old man. I am totally fine with that. :biggrin:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
4.00 star(s)
Staying Power
5.00 star(s)