What's new

T.N.Dickinsons WITCH HAZEL

JoeH;1621781 said:
I like to try a lot of different shave stuff--creams, razors, blades, brushes, after shaves--the one constant is witch hazel. I always follow up with a cotton pad of Dickinson's Witch Hazel.

There are actually two Dickinson witch hazels: T.N. Dickinson's and Dickinson's. They're in the same company now, but that wasn't always the case. Guess when your name is Dickinson, you make witch hazel.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I find the two very similar. They have an herbal scent that's mild and pleasant. The alcohol content is minimal, but it's enough to get the job done. The toning effect is noticeable: it's not enough to stop a big nick bleeding, but it calms down your weepers and small nicks. As I said, it's a mild scent that goes away quickly, so I usually follow up with an aftershave or cologne for my scent.

There is a difference in the two products, here is a link with an artical explaining the difference.

http://www.conntact.com/archive_index/archive_pages/3210_Business_New_Haven.html
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I've just started using this, but I can already tell a difference. For my daily face cleansing, this stuff is fantastic for tightening up my skin and leave it feeling smooth. I can literally feel it working within 20-30 seconds after applying it. At night, I think it works well just to use it by itself, but if using it in the morning, you will definitely want to apply some other sort of moisturizer (Cetaphil works great!).

It has a similar effect when applied right after shaving - and you definitely want to use some sort of moisturizing ASB right after you apply it.

Great value for the money, and it does sort of smell like bacon :001_tt1:.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Us poor Aussies pay top $ for everything shaving; razors, Thayers, creams etc. But this stuff is available locally and at around $6, is about the best value for money bit of shave kit going.

I note others' experience, but I don't find this drying or tightening, and while it doesn't moisturise, it leaves the skin smooth, ready for balm or moisturiser.

I only get the odd weeper if I've run with the same blade too long, and for me, this stuff just magics them away.

Everyone mentions the smell; it's awful - stale tea and cheap vodka - but as it completely disappears after a few seconds, it's not a problem.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I like to try a lot of different shave stuff--creams, razors, blades, brushes, after shaves--the one constant is witch hazel. I always follow up with a cotton pad of Dickinson's Witch Hazel.

There are actually two Dickinson witch hazels: T.N. Dickinson's and Dickinson's. They're in the same company now, but that wasn't always the case. Guess when your name is Dickinson, you make witch hazel.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I find the two very similar. They have an herbal scent that's mild and pleasant. The alcohol content is minimal, but it's enough to get the job done. The toning effect is noticeable: it's not enough to stop a big nick bleeding, but it calms down your weepers and small nicks. As I said, it's a mild scent that goes away quickly, so I usually follow up with an aftershave or cologne for my scent.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I am very impressed by this Witch Hazel. The price is right, and this bottle will probably last me a year, and that's using it twice per day.

My face is looking so much better since I started DE shaving, and I'm certain the witch hazel is a factor. It makes my face feel great after I shave, and I use it after I wash my face before bedtime. It makes it feel smooth, soft, and tight.

I heard a lot about the smell of witch hazel. It is medicinal, but it's really not bad. And it lasts about 5 seconds. Please do not feel that you need to spend the extra money for Thayers because you are afraid of the smell.

Finally, I've learned that my face hates alcohol. Witch Hazel has 14% alcohol, but you cannot feel it on your face. Even when I use witch hazel over a cut, I do not get an alcohol burn.

This is great stuff, and one of the best deals in skincare.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I like to use this after a not so irritation free shave, it soothes the face and has that weird but (i think) pleasant witch hazel old tyme smell. This is what they use to use back in the old days I guess, i dont really know. Burn isn't very bad because it has low amount of alcohol.
Love the stuff.

I get it for under $3.50 a bottle. I'll be darn if I'm going to spent $10 for Thayer's. Witch Hazel is Witch Hazel as far as I'm concern.

Use it in the morning after shaving to sooth my face. Use it again at night after washing my face.

Since I started using it I've gotten comments from women on how good my skin looks. If that isn't the ultimate endorsement I don't know what is!

And finally, it smells great. In fact it smells like bacon!:w00t:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I love this stuff.. a few shakes of Dickinson's, a few shakes of your favorite aftershave, rub your hands together, slap it on your face and neck, good to go!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pretty decent stuff! For ages the only W.H available in Aus, it was about $3-4US at Coles.

The scent isnt the greatest, but it works well - feels great on the skin after a shave. Tried using the cotton swissper things to put it on, but splashing it on is far easier IMO. Once it air-dries I just put a small amount of Nivea ASB (and SPF30 lotion) and thats it.

Even though I'll get some Thayers in my den, I'll probably keep a bottle of this tucked away as well.

Great product that works like you'd expect!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is one of those products that does exactly what it's meant to do. No fanfare. No fancy perfume scent. It's just plain good. The price is fair and it can be found in most drug stores in the rubbing alcohol section.

It helps a little with razor burn but can't eliminate it. What I find surprising is that it does not cool your face at all. I would have guessed there was no alcohol in it.

It's scent is that of Witch Hazel, not very pleasing. But it dissipates very quickly. I use it right after a cold water splash and a couple minutes before an after shave balm. The combination makes your face feel wonderful. It does not moisturize at all by itself. That's what the balm is for.

Highly recommended.
Len
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I am a devout user of Thayer's, but still have this in the shaving cabinet and have used it several times.

While I prefer Thayer's, Dickinson's is a high-quality product at a very affordable price. It can be picked up for under four dollars and a bottle will last you forever.

The severe let down is the scent. It smells, well...like witch hazel. I guess that isn't a bad thing considering it's...witch hazel. Smell does dissipate rapidly, however.

Definitely a good buy if you can't find Thayer's or don't feel like ordering it off the net.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have been using this witch hazel for many,many years. It gets the job done and you can't beat the price.
Less than four dollars at Walmart for sixteen ounces.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I can't believe I have not reviewed this. I use it every shave, any season. Points to note:
Cooling Sensation - not much there, maybe if involved with menthol shave
Scent - heavy dirty scent that vanishes instantly. Smell is not nice, but vanishes hence compromised score of 6.
Moisturising The shaving stuff I use is moisturising anyway. If anything this stuff is a wonderful skin toner cleanser. a bit like a face lift in a bottle. Not permanent, but lasts for several hours.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I use this fairly often (its the only witch hazel you can get in Australia).

The scent is a bit dodgey, but as others have said it goes away fast. It really tightens the skin too.

Overall - its a pretty good product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is good stuff and you should consider it for a daily use. Witch Hazel is good for your skin.

Pros: 2 and some change for a large 16oz bottle.
Are you sure there is Alcohol in this? It tones and smooths the skin very well. It does its job.

Con: The scent. To me it is like melted plastics, not good. So why the 5 and not a 1? Well it goes away very very fast. Willing to overlook it because of the other properties.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is the only witch hazel I have used since I started wet shaving a year and a half ago. I like it just fine. I prefer it to most aftershave lotions. I just splash it on with my hands, just like aftershave.

My favorite part is right after spashing it on, my face gets cold from the alcohol evaporation. I often fan my face with my hands to accentuate the effect.

This is a great product at a great price.

Tim
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I just purchased a bottle of this at CVS Pharmacy. Never having used any Witch Hazel before, it is somewhat hard to rate various aspects of it.

There is very little if any alcohol burn but the scent is a little funky but I assume dissipates very quickly.

I'll continue to use this till gone, while searching for a bottle of Thayers to compare it to.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is a clear liquid in a 240ml bottle with flip top cap.
Ingredient is 100% distilled Witch Hazel and 14% Alcohol.

No other added S.D.Alcohols or other additives.
Very watery with a light smell that reminded me of Gin.

The intended use of this product is to apply it to your skin after washing or shaving. It's purpose is to Clean,Soothe and Tone the skin and tighten the pores. Can also be used as a splash.

I applied it using a cotton bud soaked with the product. It went on straight after shaving and did not cause any discomfort.

It will do nothing to stop razor nicks from bleeding but I could feel a tightening effect on my skin as it dried.

It's not intended to work as a moisturizer on it's own but rather to make moisturizers more effective.

I followed up with a moisturizer and my face felt smooth with firm skin.

I will be interested to see how prolonged use influences my skin.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)