What's new

T&H Turnback Super Travel Brush

Pros: Quality; Uniqueness; Utility as a travel brush; Effectiveness
Cons: A bit heavy, and pricey, if purchased for full price.
I found one of these in Super Badger and ivory handle at an outdoor clearance sale in Illinois for $29. Brand new. Had to take it!

Image http://www.onthefly.com/ipp/f/180/grooming/truefitt-hill/GRTH-00306.jpg
It is SO well made, almost like it was carved from a single piece of ivory. Very clever and unique. Not a compact travel brush, but it is neat & self-contained. It can be used with just the brush portion removed, but if it is turned and screwed back into the main body, you have the luxury of a really large brush.

This is the nicest badger brush I've used---it is a bit floppy, but I like it that way---not so dense that it holds onto lather. Fine latherer, and it feels nice on the face.

This brush fits the bill as an effective travel brush, but, as others have noted, could easily become an every day favorite.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I was lucky enough to pick this up brand new in a 50% off sale. This is a great travel brush and one that I look forward to using while on the road. Now that I have owed it for awhile I would pay full price to replace it if something ever happened to it. It looks great and works great...highly recommended!:thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
I love this brush, as well. There's something totally cool about an Ebony Turnback. I love the option to keep it small or to make it bigger by connecting it to the storage piece. I don't travel with a mug/bowl, so sometimes I have to get creative. However, I may start collecting Latte' cups from each destination (and using them for shaving for the remainder of the trip. :drool: )

I have had trouble with mine shedding. It seems to be slowing down. I'm not sure if it is because I use it less frequently (only when traveling)

-Jim
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
NOTE: Ratings are scewed due to this being a travel brush. I will explain below.

Like, Joel, I grabbed this brush on sale as I had been keeping my eye out for a travel brush.

First, some photos.

The box:
displayimage.php

All ready for travel:
displayimage.php

The two parts:
displayimage.php

Assembled and ready to go (unbloomed):
displayimage.php

Getting wet:
displayimage.php

Making lather:
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

What's left in the brush after my shave:
displayimage.php

Bloomed:
displayimage.php

Price: At $100 as normal, this brush isn't cheap. If I hadn't had bought it on sale for around $40, I probably would have picked up a smaller Vulfix and kept it in a tube for traveling. But I REALLY wanted a turnback and lucked out with a clearance sale. I rate it as an 7 for the normal price given the complexity of the brush compared to non-travel brushes. At $40, it's easily a 10 or better.

Quality: This is a high quality brush. The plastic used is thick and of very good quality/heft. The handle is very functional and includes a number of design features (thick plastic outside shell, loss knot for drying, etc...) to make it a high quality travel brush.

Density: The brush isn't dense, not by a mile. In fact, it's relatively floppy. BUT, with a travel brush, you need it to be able to dry. The density is just enough to get the job done, while letting it dry extremely fast. I mean, give this thing a couple of shakes and 30 minutes later it's like you never even used it. But make no mistake, you're not getting srubbing with this brush.

Stiffness/Softness of Tips: Nice badger in the brush. The shafts are decently stiff and the tips are nice to the face. A level lower in terms of tip softness compared to...say...an EJ silvertip, but still nice.

Ergonomic: The handle is quite large and I was a little surprised upon first use. After a dozen or so uses, it's very comfortable for the size. And yes, the extra length is nice for a change. Easy to whip up lather and none on the fingers.

Latherability: As expected, this brush has no problem whipping up a good lather with creams. There's a little bit more work with soaps, but will work when needed. Even though I'm primarily a soap guy, I tend to stick with creams when I travel due to the obvious ease of packing. This brush whips up plenty of lather out of cream and does so quite easily.

Overall: I love this brush. Sure, if it wasn't a travel brush, I'd probably ding most of the category scores. But it's a travel brush. Considering what it's meant to do and how well it does them, it sure is a wonderful brush. It also scores major "cool" points for being a turnback.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I have been wanting a good travel brush for some time - but simply refused to even consider paying their going price - as it would only be used for travel, and I do not travel much. When the ashford sale rolled around, I couldn't help myself, as it was such a screaming deal.....

Box...
displayimage.php

Back of box...
displayimage.php

Open Box...
displayimage.php

Unwrapped from Tissue...
displayimage.php

Out of box...
displayimage.php

In Hand...
displayimage.php

"Open" Bottom so as to allow the brush to dry...
displayimage.php

Back of "tube"...
displayimage.php

Twisting Knob....
displayimage.php

Twisting Knob Close-Up...
displayimage.php

As you twist the knob, the brush begins to protrude from the bottom of the tube...
displayimage.php

Brush out of Tube...
displayimage.php

Assembled Brush...
displayimage.php

"brush" portion next to several brushes (brush un-used and un-bloomed)
displayimage.php

Unbloomed brush assembled, next to Polo12 for size comparo...
displayimage.php

Re-assembling the brush - putting the knob into the bottom of the tube...
displayimage.php

Into the tube she goes...
displayimage.php

Back into travel mode...
displayimage.php

Assembled Brush/tube next to a few brushes for size comparo...
displayimage.php

Now before I go any further and show you this thing in action, let me say, I was stunned at how incredibly well this thing was built... I mean this thing is REALLY solid. It would take an incredibly absurd chain of events to break this sucker. The threads on the screw portion are incredibly thick, and the brush is surprisingly handsome, and feels SUPERB in hand. Truly a magnificent, and luxurious little device.

Without further adue, here is this bugger in action with some T&H 1805 (I thought it would be befitting to break it in with another T&H product, that also comes in an ebony container)

Ready to go to work...
displayimage.php

Taking its maiden bath...
displayimage.php

Cream is open..... time to get down to business...
displayimage.php

Givin' it a little shake...
displayimage.php

Dippin' time...
displayimage.php

Loaded with cream and itching to play...
displayimage.php

10 swirls, and I am shocked at how well this thing is performing...
displayimage.php

After only 15 swirls, it looks ready to go, this thing lathers SO damn fast because of the incredibly long handle, coupled with the incredibly long/soft bristles...
displayimage.php

Overhead shot...
displayimage.php

Now.... hold on to your butts.... this is my hand lathered AFTER 6 (SIX) PASSES!!
displayimage.php

Brush in bloom...
displayimage.php

Brush in bloom (from the side)...
displayimage.php

Bloomed brush size comparo....
displayimage.php

Bloomed brush next to Simpsons PJ2...
displayimage.php

Let me just say.... thus far, this little travel brush is my FAVORITE brush out of the lineup I posses. It feels INCREDIBLE on your face, seems to hold a simply ludicrous amount of lather in the little bugger, works wonders, has a REALLY effective handle, builds enough lather for 6 passes faster than a top fuel dragster does the 1/4 mile, looks wonderful, has superb build quality, with a few hard shakes is almost immediatly dry (the long handle gives incredible leverage to give the thing a few good shakes, and coupled with the somewhat "loose" packed knot and the long bristles, the water runs away from the brush immediatly when you give it a few solid shakes) and its incredibly convienient and practical in its liberal use of shaving cream, and its ability to travel.

I give this sucker a whopping 10 out of 10. I just hope to hell it starts acting up on me, or else my other brushes are going to be outta a job... this thing very well stands a chance of being my SOLE daily shaving brush.

Enjoy!
Top Bottom