What's new

Susie's Bubbles N Squeak Sandalwood

Sorry, but not a fan of Susie's shaving soap - I have a puck of the "dragons blood" scented soap that I've been using for a little while, and although it builds up an OK lather (with a little work), that lather doesn't seem to do much - it's thin, and doesn't seem to do a very good job of lubricating or protecting against nicks - I almost always end up bleeding after using this soap, and that hasn't been the case with most other products I've tried - the only thing I've had worse luck with is that Gillette gel crap that comes in a spray can, and it may end up in the trash just like the Gillette gel did.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
Here is a shaving soap that won't disappoint. The fragrance is just right (and not just the sandalwood btw), the lather is protective and easy to produce, and the price is very good as well.

For perspective, Tabac is the workhorse in my stable and probably my favorite shaving soap, but Susie's soaps have been a regular feature in my rotation for over a year and I find myself going to it more and more all the time. I was surprised to see just one review on here for this soap.

I came across this soap while searching on ebay for a lower-cost alternative to some of the more popular shaving soap scents. I've always had excellent service. I recently noticed that Susie is doing a weekly draw for newbies here at B&B. I don't know how long that has been happening, but it's nice to see another vendor supporting this community.

Anyway.........

Price: 3 pucks for about $15. Pretty inexpensive for a really great soap. Little risk in trying it out at 5 bucks per puck. I have an active rotation, so I can't comment on how long a puck will last for, but let's just say the pucks aren't hugeShipping is very reasonable too - can't be much more than actual cost.

Quality/Lather/Efficacy: Here's where this soap shines. First the lather is so easy to generate - just some warm water and a few swirls with your brush and you are fully loaded. I build my lather on my face, and in no time at all I have a slick, protective layer of lather the consistency of which seems 'just right'. It's a glycerin-based soap and contains bentonite clay. Smooth, smooth, smooth. Surprising performance (in a good way).

Scent: I have in my possession the bay rum, sandalwood, black cherry, and lilac (although I've used this one up now) and all of them have been quite good. The scent is by no means overpowering, and yet there is enough scent in the soap to leave you feeling invigorated. Again, it seems 'just right'.

Moisturizing: Not likely to dry your skin, perhaps on account of the olive oil that is part of the composition.

The only 'weakness' I can really think of is the packaging: each puck is individually wrapped in saran wrap. Perhaps just a personal preference, but I've always liked the kind of container that, say, a Mamma Bear soap would come in, even if it would result in a slightly higher cost.

Overall I would say that you are getting a lot of bang for your soap craving buck. One soap that will always hold a place in my rotation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Absolute superb shaving soap...
I had no problems with making lather, although the water in my area is hard...
With just a couple of swirls on the puck to load the brush and whipping a lather in separate bowl I got tons of very thick and very slick lather which stood so throughout the entire shave (3 passes)...
I am also very satisfied with Susie's communication and extremely fast shipping...
Top notch product for great price...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing