What's new

Superior Brush w/Best Badger 20mm Knot

A few weeks ago I was able to pick up a brush on ebay being sold by Matt, or "medicwood" as he is known on the forums. Matt and his partner Randy, both firefighters, make these brushes on the side. Since I am a Persian Jar "handle" nut, this brush appealed to me, and I got lucky and won the auction.

The handle is an acrylic base that is used in making counter tops. Despite that, I thought I would give this a try. And I'm glad I did.

I love this brush! It performs well with soaps and creams, and for anyone wanting just one brush, this is a “one size fits all” brush. The “scratchiness” I experienced on day one totally disappeared after a couple of uses. It’s not luxuriously soft, but I didn’t expect it to be. It is well balanced, and easy to use. The overall appearance is also well balanced, although I think that the handle on this brush could be just a bit shorter for a more balanced appearance.

The Handle: My favorite part. I’m very partial to this shape. Simple and elegant. Not elaborate or ornate. Smooth curvy lines make this brush attractive. It is easy to hold and to work with. I've read on the forums about guys dropping their brushes. This is a brush that allows you to grip it, so dropping it should not be a problem. The handle is beefy enough to give you a good grip, but not so big that someone with small hands would have trouble gripping it.

The Knot: The hair is resilient. The flex of the hair works well on the face. It picks up the lather and delivers it to the face with no effort. Since it is not the “top end” of badger hair, it is not too smooth or too silky in use. When in use, it appears to stimulate the face as the brush is swirled about. I enjoy my 26mm and 28mm Shavemac brushes, but I have a preference for smaller brushes. This fits right in with my preference. The handle is larger than any other smaller knot brush I have, and that is one of the things that makes it enjoyable to use. The loft and density of this brush are more than adequate. The brush splays open enough to deliver the lather, but it is not floppy. I would be curious to see how this same badger hair works in a 25mm knot.

Overall Rating: I give this brush a 10 for the handle and a 10 for the bristle. Granted, this boils down to personal opinion, and I would not say that this is “the” perfect brush, but the performance is outstanding. I believe that the price point of $50 that you have on your website is set right. I got lucky on ebay and bought it cheaper, but I would put it up against my Vulfix #2234, Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger, and with my Floris brush. The Vulfix is a $59 brush, the C&E is $35 and the Floris I purchased for half price, at about $60. Check out Superior brushes at their website,
http://www.superiorbrushes.com. I've got a feeling I'll be adding another of their brushes to my stable real soon.

Randy
Top Bottom