What's new

Super-Speed red tip

Pros: Great shaver, nice weight
Cons: Can't think of any
It's a great razor with an excellent weight and feel to it. The razor's heavier, and a bit more aggressive than the other Super Speeds, which I like. The red tip gives it a little personally, so it looks cool, as well. I really enjoy mine.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: smooth shave
Cons: none
One of Gillette's best non-adjustable razors. Quality craftsmanship all the way, a decent aggressiveness to the shave and the ease of the their TTO system. There are a lot of these out there with fairly low price tags.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Agressive blade geometry
Cons: Can be harsh with the sharpest blades
The Gillette Super Speed Red Tip was manufactured in 1955-1959. It is by far the most aggressive of the Super Speeds. Using an ultra sharp blade such as a Feather may leave a few weepers or nicks. I prefer using a slightly milder blade to compensate for the Red Tip's aggressiveness, which is a little high for my beard. The handle is heavier, and slightly wider than the handles of the other Super Spreeds. The Gillette Red Tip is popular amongst serious shavers, and the Red Tip's bring a higher price than the other Super Speeds. It is an excellent razor if you wish an aggressive safety razor.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: quality, aggressiveness, ease of use
Cons: aggressiveness
This is the heaviest and most aggressive of Gillette's 1950's Super-Speed razors. It is distinguished by the red-painted twist-to-open knob at the bottom of the handle.

Price: Mine is an heirloom, but prices for this model can be steep.

Quality: Well made from plated brass. The twist-to-open mechanism works well if it has been properly maintained.

User Friendly: The twist-to-open mechanism is simple, intuitive and easy to use.

Grip: Knurling on the handle keeps the razor secure even with wet fingers.

Ease of Blade Replacement: Turn the knob to open the "silo" doors, drop in a blade, turn the knob to close the doors and secure the blade.

Aggressiveness: This Super-Speed has the largest blade gap of the three 1950's models. It is also the heaviest.

Adjustability: This is not an adjustable razor.

Balance: The heavier handle shifts the balance somewhat, but it still shaves well.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)