What's new

Super-Speed blue tip

Pros: Lightweight
Cons: TTO
I really enjoy my Blue Tip. It shaves nice by being forgiving and offers good blade feel for me. I think it is more aggressive than what people say, not that it will eat your face off, but its not something to overlook.

It is lightweight, due to the aluminum handle, which could be good or bad depending on what you like.

I think the twist to open is a weak spot. Due to there being so many things that could break or be damages. You don't have to treat it like an egg but you do have to be mindful of them.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: quality construction
Cons: too mild for my taste
Well made razor, I felt I struggled trying to get a really close shave. As a head shaver it's hard to effectively mow down the back of my head and get it smooth. Even after three passes with the blue tip I still felt stubble. Quality craftsmanship make this a good buy for someone seeking a mild razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: mild
Cons: need multiple passes
OK, everyone knows this is a mild razor. I have a beard with relative fine hair so I felt like this might be OK for me. I got it from a seller on eBay and decided I needed to try it out. I used a Voskhod blade. The shave reminded me of my multiple blade fusion razor. Highly unlikely to knick me or cut me but requiring multiple ATG passes to get a BBS shave, but no razor burn. So, after drinking a couple of IPAs that is a good thing because I don't have to be so vigilant about shaving. It puts the safety in "safety razor". Forget this if you have a wire haired beard but not so bad for guys like me. I love the Gillette butterfly. I have cut myself replacing blades in my Edwin Jagger.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great condition after 50+ years
Cons: Very lightweight
Using my Blue Tip Gillette is something I have only done once, and will probably not do again. Ok, I'm being dramatic. Because of my beard type (thick and coarse) this razor was not able to effectively cut through my hair, even with a Feather blade.
Now that I have got that out of the way, I cannot say that I would not recommend this product to someone. It would be great for someone with light growth or thin hair. As far as function of the razor, it is one of the Gillette Super Speeds (well built, last forever, and feature one of the easiest blade changing systems ever built, TTO). It being a lighter razor, also makes it feel a little cheaper to me, but that is part of what gives it a more mild shave.
When it comes down to it, it is a great razor to collect, which is why I still have it. I use a Gillette Red Tip most often, which I love for its more aggressive shave. As much as I did not want to say this throughout this review... YMMV.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Mild and forgiving
Cons: not for heavy beards
I considered my 1956 Blue Tip to be my weekend and travel razor until I scored a pre-war Tech. The Blue Tip is a very forgiving razor. For light-to-medium beards it should make a great travel razor for when you're shaving in a bathroom you're not used to (distance to mirror/different lighting). It is also good to have just to give your face a break from your everyday razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: High quality build and nice appearance
Cons: Way too mild for my moderately heavy beard
The Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip is a marvelous razor IF you have a soft and light beard. But if your beard is moderate or heavy, forget the Blue Tip. This razor won't cut decent whiskers well even with an ultra-sharp Feather blade. I have the Blue Tip only for one reason: to complete my set of Blue Tip, Regular Flare Tip, and Red Tip Super Speeds from the 1950's.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: well-made, easy to use, mild shave
Gillette's blue-tipped Super-Speed from the 1950's is a milder shaver than the flare-tip and red-tip versions. The blue-tip model is distinguished by blue paint on the twist-to-open knob at the bottom of the handle.

Price: Mine is an heirloom, but they can be found for reasonable prices.

Quality: Plated-brass razor was well made. The handle is aluminum, but that is to reduce weight to match the smaller bade gap, which lends to the mildness of this razor. The twist-to-open mechanism works well if the razor has been properly cared for.

User Friendly: The twist-to-open design is intuitive and easy to use. This feature also makes it easy to clean.

Grip: Excellent knurling on the handle. Easy to grasp, even with wet hands.

Aggressiveness: Gillette designed and marketed this razor as a milder alternative to the other Super-Speed models.

Adjustability: This is not an adjustable razor.

Balance: The aluminum handle makes it somewhat top-heavy, but it still shaves well.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)