What's new

Super-Max 'Kwik'

Item Description

I recently made a purchase from www.shoeboxshaveshop.com, and decided to pick up a few cheap travel razors I wouldn't feel bad about loosing.

Upon further review, it appears that several razors actually belong to the same family. The Dorco PL-510, the Lord Super, and the Super-Max Kwik appear to be nearly identical and may in fact be made by the same manufacturer. The PL-510 has a different handle, and the Lord Super has a different handle as well as a metal top plate. Curiously, the handle and lower guard are connected as one piece. The handle rotates while attached to the guard plate to tighten or loosen the top plate.

For this review, I'm focusing on the Kwik.

After showering and lathering up, I loaded a Personna blade into my new Kwik, and started shaving. The shave I got left me with a little more irritation than when I shave with a Tech, but got me pretty clean without drawing any blood.

Price - Giving it a 10. It costs $4 and it seems like it'll hold up for a while.

Quality - I'm going with a 6 here. It's well molded, but it IS all plastic...

User Friendly - Call it a 5. It has an interesting arrangement, flats and finger grips on the side of the head to assist in opening/closing and blade replacement, but lacks some other niceties and it seems like it's hard to tell when tight enough becomes too tight

Grip - 3 on this one. The handle has some texture, but it doesn't stick like the knurled handles of the metallic razors I've used.

Ease of Blade Replacement - This is a 5, due to the flats mentioned above. However, the fact that it's a bit sticky and tight enough vs. too tight isn't apparent keeps it from earning a higher score.

Aggressiveness - Ok, so I was being extra careful, but I'm calling it a 6. Perhaps ever so SLIGHTLY more aggressive than a Gillette Tech.

Adjustability - Nope!

Balance - Zero! This razors fails MISERABLY in this category! The lack of any weight at all makes it impossible to let the weight of the razor do the shaving without any pressure. That said, if you use very gentle pressure and shave carefully, you may be OK...

If you're looking, specifically, for a very light razor for backpacking use, this is for you. If you're on a shoe-string budget, again, this is for you. Otherwise, I suggest a metallic razor. I would like to get my hands on the Lord version some time in the future, I suspect that it may be slightly more hefty and a more comfortable shaver.

Latest reviews

I recently made a purchase from www.shoeboxshaveshop.com, and decided to pick up a few cheap travel razors I wouldn't feel bad about loosing.

After showering and lathering up, I loaded a Personna blade into my new Kwik, and started shaving. The shave I got left me with a little more irritation than when I shave with a Tech, but got me pretty clean without drawing any blood.

Price - Giving it a 10. It costs $4 and it seems like it'll hold up for a while.

Quality - I'm going with a 6 here. It's well molded, but it IS all plastic...

User Friendly - Call it a 5. It has an interesting arrangement, flats and finger grips on the side of the head to assist in opening/closing and blade replacement, but lacks some other niceties and it seems like it's hard to tell when tight enough becomes too tight

Grip - 3 on this one. The handle has some texture, but it doesn't stick like the knurled handles of the metallic razors I've used.

Ease of Blade Replacement - This is a 5, due to the flats mentioned above.

Aggressiveness - Ok, so I was being extra careful, but I'm calling it a 6. Perhaps ever so SLIGHTLY more aggressive than a Gillette Tech.

Adjustability - Nope!

Balance - Zero! This razors fails MISERABLY in this category! The lack of any weight at all makes it impossible to let the weight of the razor do the shaving without any pressure. That said, if you use very gentle pressure and shave carefully, you may be OK...

If you're looking, specifically, for a very light razor for backpacking use, this is for you. If you're on a shoe-string budget, again, this is for you. Otherwise, I suggest a metallic razor. I would like to get my hands on the Lord version some time in the future, I suspect that it may be slightly more hefty and a more comfortable shaver.

Edit - It's been three years since I wrote this review, and I've honestly used this razor maybe six times in total. I'm editing to increase the aggressiveness, and decrease the quality a little bit. I did initially get good shaves with this the first two times I tried it, but unless you are absolutely careful it tends to slice me up pretty bad.

I'd recommend avoiding this one, spend the extra $2 or $4 and get a metal one from Lord.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)