What's new

Sumatra Mandheling from Ristretto Roasters

Given a group of products, there has to be a least favorite as much as a favorite, right? Well, while certainly a top-notch coffee for the style, it's my least favorite of the bunch. Just as the RR site indicates, Sumatra Mandheling is bold, with lots of body. From a number of trips to the Netherlands, I've grown to love thick medium boldness coffees. Brewing SM on the strong side, makes it just a little overpowering for me.

However, there's no doubt about it, Sumatra Mandhelig is a very fine coffee. If you prefer bold, earthy coffee, this is the one for you.

If I'm going to drink SM, I'd choose to do it in the evening, with maybe a little chocolate on the side.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Big, Bold and Earthy is how you would describe this coffee. If that doesn't appeal to you then these beans aren't up your alley. I think this is one of those cases where you are going to like it or dislike it. I enjoy variety and will keep these beans in my rotation. I agree with Scotto on the Latte aspect, the Chiapas is hands down better than the Mandheling in this arena. While I don't think that this is one of DJ's Superstars, I still find it quite good.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
I have gotten a number of coffees from our friends at Ristretto Roasters, and they are all universally excellent. The sumatra is perhaps my least favorite of the bunch, though it is still head and shoulders above most other offerings out there.

Sumatra is a deep, dark, brooding coffee. It reminds me of rich earth with a bit of spice and chocolate. Its acidity is on the low side, so it lacks some of the brightness of other varietals. It is mouth-filling and rich with a long, long finish. I like this one diluted a bit more than other coffees (assuming an aeropress, otherwise perhaps increase your water to bean ratio) or I find it can be overpowering. I also find that it is at its best black; in a latte or other milky concoction it can taste a bit muddy.

This is a coffee to be savored in the evening, watching a snowstorm, plotting world domination.
Aroma
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Value
4.00 star(s)
Flavor
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)