What's new

Stuart Smally need not apply

Price: About average, $80 for a 80ml bottle, puts in in the same category as other similar designer offerings.
Quality: This cologne will definitely appeal to the mass markets, as intended, but fails to impress those who do truly appreciate some of the classical offerings from the house of Guerlain.
Packaging: Well if marketing has anything to do with this category then it is just, well, tacky. As for the bottle, it is truly fantastic, unfortunately the juice is what counts, not the fancy bottle. Cardboard boxes were a little too shiny for my tastes.
Scent: Unfortunately, the scent here fails to impress. I'd classify it as a pleasant "sugar water" aroma, which is similar to many other colognes on the market today. The top notes, or "mojito accord" are rather pleasant, just about enough to capture a customers attention to make a purchase. But where my friends is the rum that must accompany any true mojito?! Where are the freshly squeezed limes? There was potential here, but Guerlain failed to impress. No matter how much I wanted to love this cologne, I couldn't shake off the fact that there was an extremely synthetic note in this cologne (of which is just amplified in the Intense version).
Complexity: The complexity is nothing to write home about, the initial "mojito accord" is rather pleasant, but unfortunately short lived. The dry-down is quite generic, the best way to describe it is sweet and woody, completely inoffensive.
Staying Power: I found the EdT version to be extremely fleeting, and completely gone within 60-90 minutes max. The Intense (EdP) version gave a much needed boost to the longevity and I found it lasted a solid 5-6 hours. Unfortunately, I found the synthetic note much more noticeable with the EdP.
Quality of Atomizer: Nice quality atomizer, with a wonderful little finger groove.

Overall, this scent struggles to live up to it's rather bold tag line: "GUERLAIN HOMME for the animal in you". It does not, according to Guerlain, "awaken the animal that slumbers in every man", although I'm not sure much of an animal lies within me to begin with. Maybe I got my hopes too high for this cologne, as I was lead to imagine I would be whisked away to a tropical island, sipping a mojito at one of those fun little swim up bars. Instead I found this to be an awfully generic offering from such a historical house like Guerlain. However, I do believe that this cologne may be a good stepping stone for new-comers to the world of fragrance to experience as a sort of "gateway" dru... I mean cologne, to the house of Guerlain.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Complexity
2.00 star(s)
Staying Power
2.00 star(s)
Quality of Atomizer
4.00 star(s)
Notes: lime, mint, bergamot, cedar, vetiver and mojito

Starts off on the sweet side with the mojito and the citrus leading the way for the mint which lasts in one way or another through the duration of wearing this cologne. Though it starts sweet at no time could one mistake it for a womans perfume. After about an hour or so the lime starts to become more noticeable. The dry down(I guess thats what you call it) is the real money maker. The wood and green notes mix with the sweetness and mint to produce a scent that is sort of sweet, earthy, inviting and distinctively masculine.

Here is a cologne not for the meek or timid. One often hears statements like, "This cologne is a young scent, That cologne is only for old people." I don't think that applies to this cologne. I say it's for a man that projects confidence. Which of course can be applied in various situations in the office, in the nightclub, at a meeting, on a date. I can attest to its effectiveness at work and at play. If you are a tree hugging hippie that just wants everyone to just get together now and smile on your brother. If your woman asks you to go to Bed Bath and Beyond with her to pick out scented candles, and you agree. Then maybe this cologne isn't for you. The man definitely makes this cologne, not the other way around.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Complexity
5.00 star(s)
Staying Power
4.00 star(s)