What's new

Stlrling Smooth Tallow Soaps

Item Description

From the website:
"Made using the same cold process method as our natural Stirling soaps, this puck is 3 inches in diameter and weighs approximately 4 ounces.
Meant to be used with a brush and shaving bowl or apothecary cup, we guarantee that this soap will outlast a normal can of shaving foam or gel and leave you feeling silky smooth."
- Designed to be lathered as a "mug soap", lathering directly on top of the soap.
- The Smooth line soaps all contain both lanolin and shea butter to complement the tallow.

Latest reviews

Pros: Long lasting
Great lather
Good cushion
Protection from Mosquitoes and West Nile Virus
Cons: Smells like a mosquito candle
So, I ran out of shave soap, and desperately needed some. Not sure what to get, I fell down the rabbit whole and ordered about 12 different products. Four of those 12 products were sample size pucks of tallow based Shave soaps from Stirling.

For now, I will address the Electric Sheep as I have yet to use the others. The site promised a citrus scent, and that combined with the artwork got me to pull the trigger.

To be fair, I didn't pay too much attention to the items in the ingredient list, but I DID see the warning from their site that suggested a sample size first.

Fast forward, I open my package, and smell the soap. . . "Whoa, that smells like a mosquito candle." Then I check the ingredient list. Citronella, right at the top.

So now that that is out of the way, the soap itself is awesome. This is my first tallow soap, and it most definitely took a few tries with the soap to find the correct water ration, but when I did, I got a rich, creamy lather that let my Merkur Progressive with a sharp as a katana Kai blade zip across my face with the greatest of ease.

All in all, Stirling makes a great soap, but Electric Sheep is probably a decisive scent. You either like citronella, or you don't. If yes, proceed with this soap. If no, get one of Stirling's MANY other scents. They are bound to have one that fits for you.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Amazingly easy to lather and provides a smooth shave.
Cons: It is easy to dry out a bit if you are a slow shaver.
The Stirling Soap Co. blew me away as far as their ability to process an order and ship it out in a timely manner. I know of no other way to purchase except directly from them which was quite the easy process. Now, on to the soap quality. Stirling makes tallow based soaps, so they are quite creamy in nature. They are pretty soft and I just use a splash of water over the top before I load my brush, I do not "bloom" this soap. The soap is quite easy to load and it took me about 15 seconds to load too much soap the first time I used it. The aroma is fantastic, and they offer a wide variety of scents from mild to fairly strong. I have a few different scents from them ranging from very woodsy like the Conifer scent they offer, the Glacial Lemon which is a nice peppermint lemon scent, to the clove like smell of Ben Franklin. I shave with a straight razor so speed is definitely a factor for me, which this soap delivered. Glycerine based soaps make my skin feel nice after a shave but I always felt they caused my razor to drag across my face. Not the case with this soap, my razor simply glided at the speed I like and provided ample cushion for myself. I have sensitive skin and my neck area is particularly sensitive, this soap worked great for me in providing me with a nice barrier to let the razor cut the hair and not irritate my face. It left my face feeling very moisturized and I enjoy it thoroughly. I would recommend this soap to anyone, sensitive skin or not and as I stated previously, the customer service offered was fantastic. I can not heap enough praises onto this soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, Lather, Price
Best soap I have used by a mile. Highly recommended!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Lather
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)