What's new

Stetson Cooling Moisture Aftershave

Pros: The scent
Cons: Makes my face feel greasy
I hesitate to slam dunk this product, but it does make my face feel like there is an oily film on it and for that reason I will not use it again. Smells great.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Newly available at Wal-Mart for a little more than $5, Stetson has revived its "Cooling Moisture" aftershave product.

displayimage.php
displayimage.php

Price: At a little more than 25% the price of traditional Stetson aftershave, this version is a very nice value.

Quality: The ingredients appear carefully chosen to match the product name, and to provide a very soothing blend. The alcohol content is moved rather far down the list, and appears to be lower by volume than the aloe. There are several noteworthy humectant and protective ingredients. The main preservative ingredients appear to be phenoxethanol, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate.

Fights Razor Burn: In addition to other skin conditioning ingredients, this product contains aloe barbadensis leaf juice (aloe vera), a well-known natural treatment for burns and scrapes. It's got the healing in there.

Cooling Sensation: Menthyl lactate, purported to be less irritating than menthol, is used as the cooling agent. A nice cooling effect is noticeable within a minute of post-shave application, and it remains prominent for 10-15 minutes. This is not a face-freezer, but more of a cool-breezer.

Scent: This is classic Stetson fragrance, a fougère similar to Brut and Pinaud Clubman, but with its own character. It's been around for 30 years, so even if you're not familiar with it, it's more than likely you've smelled it on someone in America. It's versatile enough for all occasions from horseback riding to evening wear. A slight mentholated note rides on top but does not survive the dry-down.

Efficacy: The liquid goes on smoothly, and dries without stickiness. The face feels nicely toned and lastingly protected. It also contains benzophenone-4, which is a UV absorber and is commonly found in sun-screens (the packaging does not make any sun-protection claims for the product, and it's just as likely this is added to protect the product from the effects of light exposure).

Moisturizing: This splash ranks alongside Musgo Real for moisturizing properties, although it has a lighter touch. Along with the aloe, other humectant and skin conditioning ingredients include propylene glycol, PEG-12 dimethicone, PEG-6 caprylic/capric glycerides, ethylhexylglycerin, panthenol, and tocopherol. I think you'd have to go with a serum or balm to get any more stacked in the skin goodies department.

No Alcohol Burn: It's in there, but it's a slow fuse. I notice a minor tingle within 10-15 seconds of application, which calms quickly. Very mild but present.

Summary: I like this product and recommend it to any who find the description interesting. Apparently, this is Stetson's second time around with this product name; the original, discontinued "Stetson Cooling Moisture Aftershave Splash-On" featured an ingredient called stone root extract, which is still available as an herbal remedy for gallstones, kidney-stones, varicose veins and sundry other ailments. Personally, I don't think the new formula suffers by excluding it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)