What's new

Star Double Edge Safety Razor

Item Description

Price
Since the Star is not considered a collectors item, one can find great prices. I paid $3.95 for mine! Since production of this razor was lower than the similar Tech, some sellers on EBay think it should deserve a premium price due to its rarity. Avoid those sellers.

Quality
The quality of this razor is every bit as good as a similar year Tech. These razors were made to be cheap and durable, but the build quality is very good. One problem that I have with this razor and the Tech is that the plating is too thin. Brassing is a problem on all vintage razors. It gives them their personality.

User Friendly
It is a three piece design, so it is incredibly simple and user friendly. I would rank a TTO as more user friendly, but only by a minor degree. The head of the razor is slightly thinner than the Tech. This gives the user a little more room to get into those tight spots.

Grip
The grip is the thing that sets this razor apart from the competing Techs. It has a very grippy handle that is great when wet and soapy. The ridges on the handle channel away water and soap. I have seen other Star Double Edge razors with a different handle. This handle mimics the star shaped handles used by Star Single Edge razors. I have not tested one of these, but it does not look as comfortable.

Ease of Blade Replacement
As simple as can be, only a TTO could be easier.

Aggressiveness
This is a mild razor. I measured its blade exposure at .023”, a Tech is .022” and a SS is .027”. I find it to be great with a Crystal Blade. I do find myself craving a better blade, maybe a Swede or Feather.

Balance
It weighs the same as my Techs, 2 oz, but since the head is a little thinner, it feels different. The different balance does not affect the shave quality for me.

In researching this razor, I found that American Safety Razor sold the same razor design as Star, PAL and Personna brands. They appear to be different only in details. I did see a Personna on UK EBay that looked like it has an aluminum handle. The razor was sold in card board packages, plastic travel kits, and fine imitation leather hinged cases. Happy Shaving.

Latest reviews

Pros: efficient yet mild
Cons: none
I picked mine up as part of a razor lot mainly because of the Star. I'd used lots of Shick and Gillette, but had not yet tried the Star. It cleaned up very well, with the majority of the chrome intact. I was surprised how grippy the handle was, I generally prefer longer handles. Also, it was fairly hefty for a small razor. I loaded it with a GSB and it was super mild. At times it felt like I was shaving without a blade, but a hand across the path revealed it had mown down the whiskers with remarkable efficiency. Milder than my '57 tech, yet, I felt, much more productive. This will probably become a regular part of my rotation.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Beautiful non-slip handle
Cons: Mildness, if you have tough whiskers
The Star DE three piece razor was made from about 1946 to about 1959. It is similar in performance and appearance to a Gillette Tech, but it is more beautiful. The handle is a work of art for a razor of this low cost. It is a mild shaver. The lack of aggressiveness can be improved, if desired, by using an ultra sharp blade such as a Feather, or by using a shim. If you like a mild older razor that looks nice and gives a big bang for your buck, this is a razor for you to consider!
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
BEAR DEN;1313336 said:
Mild shaver that is definetly overlooked. Very nice razor!

+1

Mine is in mint condition and came with a travel case.
I use mine in my Travel/Dopp kit.
JB
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)