What's new

"Spikuson" 7/8

I got this on ebay (my first attempt at using ebay in fact), and paid £10 for it. Having gotten better razors for less, I wasnt too pleased at that. Here's why-

Whoever "Spikuson" were, they had lame quality control. The spacer was too thick to allow the blade to close properly, so I had to sand it down with some emery paper folded around a ruler. That done, it closed. Why was this not remedied before it left the factory? Not so simple, but presumably it annoyed whoever bought it first, because it had never been honed.

Next, on taking it to the hone, I discovered that the blade was curved, so that only the first 1" touched the hone. Back to the 1K, some time later, I had it all straightened out, and honed it up to a fairly good edge.

I like 3 pin razors, and I like the faux tortoiseshell- it looks really classy, especially with the metal inlay. However I can no longer see the name "Spikuson" without feeling mildly annoyed about the 5 min's I expected to spend tuning up an old razor, that dragged into a whole afternoon. Oh well, fun and games, and it kept me out of trouble...

Now that it's all sorted out, I get a perfectly good shave from it. I like the broad blade- it seems easier to control the angle, and it can hold more lather, meaning I can shave more of my face before I wipe it off. I also like the shape of the tang, the curve down into the blade (only one stabilising piece), it fits over the curve of my thumb very comfortably indeed. Balance is fine too, all in all, it's an OK razor.

View attachment 8010
Price
2.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
3.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
1.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
2.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
3.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness