What's new

Speick Natural [hand] soap

Pros: Smells Great and Natural. Long Lasting.
Cons: Smell is mild on skin.
I have used a loofah with a body wash for over a decade now. A girlfriend got me to start, after explaining that it exfoliates the skin and gives you a better all around clean in the shower. I didn't think that I would ever go back to using a bar soap in the shower again. However, when making a purchase from a B&B vendor not too long ago, I bought a couple bars because I love the scent of the Speick shave cream, and I also needed to add a couple bucks to get free shipping.

When I got the bars, I was happy to find that they smelled like the shave cream, with that distinct fresh, alpine smell Speick is known for. However, I was disappointed as the bar is fairly small and I figured it wouldn't last me a week of showers. I was certainly wrong about that. Even though the bar is smaller than your average soap bar, it lasts twice as long. I have been impressed by the longevity of the bar, and I enjoy showering with it in the mornings as it gives my shower a much more pleasant scent than any of the other mass market body washes I have used in the past. As far as bar soap goes, you can't ask for much more. In fact the reason I switched to using a loofah was because bar soap always left my skin dry and I would find myself itching after a shower. While this bar is not ultra moisturizing (compared to the Dove body wash I use currently), it does not leave me dry or itching my skin after a shower, like every other soap besides Dove does. I have used the Dove for men soaps as well and trust me they do not smell nearly as crisp and clean. Of course that is my personal opinion YMMV.

My only gripe is that I wish the smell was more pronounced and lasted longer. However, I think that is what you get when you are using a more natural product. I am sure that the good people over at Speick could get the scent to last longer if they used some artificial ingredients to boost the smell, but I would rather a lighter smell, than an artificial one. The natural ingredients are probably why I don't itch after using the product.

Overall I am very happy with the product, though I do miss the lather I get with a loofah and body wash. Luckily, Speick makes a body wash, so I know what I will be picking up next. So, if you like the scent of the shave cream, I think you would enjoy this product as well. Also, not a bad thing to throw in to a purchase when you need a couple more bucks to qualify for free shipping on one of the internet sites. We have all been there I think.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice smell
This soap is really good, just like other Speick products, I can really recommend using it.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)
I am not sure where you get that this is hand soap from... As far as I know, there is no hand soap in the Speick line. The box on this review looks just like my box, and I bought it as Body soap, and I have never seen it advertised as anything else. Also, 100 grams is a typical bath bar soap size with hand soaps usually being half the size, with the exception of travel sized bars and hotel bars. I have found that Speick body soap does not make a good hand soap, probably because it isn't.

With that being said, I have become addicted to this stuff. The smell wakes you up in the morning, gets you clean and smelling great all day. I have found myself looking forward to it every day. I ordered a full years supply of the stuff from Shoebox Shaveshop :thumbup:. If there is a better body soap out there, then I don't want to know about it. :tongue_sm

If you want a good hand soap that is also made by Walter Rau, try the 40g bar of Phytokosma with Aloe Vera and various natural oils. Very moisturizing.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
i didn't like this soap,way too drying and smells like a hospital with some spice.

i threw it away after 2 goes. didn't clean well at all and costs way too much.

musgo soap is way better.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Price: I paid 3 € for a 100 gram bar of soap. That comes out to about $4.18 and 4¢ per gram. Ivory soap costs 2¢ per gram and homemade hand soap costs even less.

Quality: The quality was ok. The soap was wrapped in wax paper.

Latherability: The soap lathers nicely.

Moisturizing: My hands feel healthy and moist.

Scent: The soap smells like lavender and Speick plant, which smells earthy.

Efficacy: I feel the soap produced a good lather, one similar to other commercial soaps.

Packaging: The packaging was ok. The soap was in a nice box and wax paper.

Final thoughts: I would definitely purchase this soap again. The soap received a "sehr gut" (very good) from the Öko Test. For you non-Germans, that basically is a independent panel that does tests on products and then offers a rating. I have found that products generally are as good as the ratings are.

Where to purchase: Amazon may be your best bet. Alpine Importers also carry the soap.

proxy.php
proxy.php
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)