What's new

Southern & Richardson 6/8

Wow! I absolutely adore the look of that razor!
Southern & Richardson, Sheffield "Shaveesi", 6/8 hollow ground.
I got this on ebay for about £20, the most I've spent on a razor. It looked lovely in the photos, but looks didn't convey the whole story.

View attachment 8019

The box I made myself, I like these tube boxes, they protect the razor and hold it shut. Simple and functional! The scales are albalone, with a lining of a layer of plastic, and a layer of aluminium. This makes them quite heavy, and that's the only problem with it. The blade is hollow ground, but not very hollow- in fact the ridge between the two grinds can be easily felt and seen- no need to turn it and look for the reflected light. This and the width make it quite a heavy blade, but the scales are heavier and this really upsets the balance- it feels like you have to wrestle with it to make it go where you want, unlike some razors which you scarcely notice you are holding.

View attachment 8020

That shows the width of the scales. They weigh a surprising ammount! However they look really nice, so I keep it and use it all the same. It's really psychedelic, good choice for one of those mornings when you overdid the mescaline shaving soap! :crazy:

It takes on a decent edge, but takes longer to than a really hollow razor would, due to it's thickness. It once belonged to a 7 day set, as I discovered when I got it- it has "thursday" etched onto the spine. Not wanting to upset it, I use it on Thursdays.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)