What's new

SOUPLEX razor blades

Pros: CONSISTENT QUALITY
Cons: SUDDEN DROP IN SHARPNESS
These blades are very high quality. They are super smooth and adequately sharp for the amount of forgiveness. The only draw back is that I can't get more than 3 shaves before a sudden drag appears however I would settle for 2 world class shaves from a blade that leaves my skin cut and irritation free. Definetly worth purchasing but finding them is a real hassle so go straight to shaving.ie.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
A german quality blade that deserves to be much more popular than it is.
Having used a fair number of packages of these I didn't find a bad blade yet so their QC seems to be near perfect.

Not the sharpest out there but doing the job in 3 passes and touch ups is still pretty good. They deliver 3/4 very good shaves that remain at the same level; very constant performer.

Smoothness is superb; the blades feel like silk and so is the result of the shave. Their only minor point is their price; not overly expensive but you can't get them any cheaper than 24,90/50 blades. In Euro's that is directly from NTS ( www.scherenprofi.com ) who are taking care of distribution. These are made by medyna, Solingen (www.medyna.de ).

Packaging is simple; one wrapper, ten wrappers in a cardboard box and no blister so I gave them 1 extra point for not spoiling materials.

You really should try these before settling down to one brand only.
Especially good in more aggressive razors like the old Mühle R89.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
In the early 1930s, about 230 different brands of razor blades were produced in Solingen alone. This is one of the few blades still made there. I didn't even know this one until that fine shaving Dutchman Talibeard pointed me in their direction. I ordered a pack from their webshop, put a blade in my Futur and
had a most pleasant surprise. I went for a patriotic shave: Futur @ 3, Irisch Moos shaving soap, Bock silvertip and Speick after shave splash.
The blades came in a simple pack, nothing to write home about.
The shave was great, although I can't quite figure out why: They didn't seem to be very sharp, yet there was absolutely no dragging or pulling. Problematic areas didn't offer a challenge either. In terms of closeness, the blades are on par with Personnas or Crystals imo. Not as close as the sharp brotherhood (Feather, Iridium) but still very good.
But the smoothness! This is hands down the most gentle blade I have ever used. Personnas don't even come close, and the blade is as forgiving as it gets. Even applying some pressure doesn't cause problems (but isn't recommend, of course).
To me, this is THE no-problem blade. Smooth, forgiving and yet a very good shaver. I would highly recommend it if you are a beginner, have very sensitive skin or just want a hassle free, extremely comfortable shave.
In my den, these blades will replace the red pack Personnas as they have all their advantages and then some. Highly recommended!
A pack of 50 blades will set you back € 12,50 in the NTS webshop.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I wanted to hold off on writing anything about this blade until I could go through a couple of them in a row. Just wrapped up with my second one this morning. I am quite impressed. I generally only use a blade for 2 shaves, but I figured that I'd press for a third to see what would happen.

I picked up a couple hundred at the NTS webshop, and they came in plain white cardboard boxes -- each plain white box holds ten plain white carboard boxes containing ten blades each, individually wrapped in plain white paper.

Before these, I'd been working through NOS (1987) Gillette Platinum Plus, and Gillette Bleue Extras, which are both pretty sharp, durable and comfortable blades. The Souplex is sharper, and much more unforgiving of sloppy technique. I've yet to try a feather, but I've been told that they behave in much the same way. If you give the souplex the right angle, it's marvellously smooth and goes through whiskers quite cleanly.

I used the souplex in both a fatboy and a slim, and it performed very well in both. I tried the slim first and had three great 2-pass shaves. I then took up the souplex in the fatboy and as the first pass went, so did the blood. I lopped off the top of a small mole without a hint of pain or resistance. It was remarkable. After dialing in on the technique alteration required for the fatboy, no problems. Very close shaves with this blade in both of those razors, with effortless touch-ups.

- Price-wise, they're something like 30 cents a blade, which isn't bad. I'll rate a 9, there.
- Quality is superb -- a 10 there.
- Sharpness was excellent, and since I've not shaved with a sharper blade, yet, I'll call that a 10. Sharper than iridiums, imho.
- I'm probably not a good appraiser of longevity, as I only occasionally push a blade to the third shave, so I'll withhold a rating in this category.
- As for smoothness, I'll have to rate a nine, as I do find iridiums to be smoother.
- I do like the no-nonsense, low-cost, plain-white packaging. I don't need wild colors or fancy graphics and I -=despise=- plastic dispensers. A hearty 10 on this scale for me.

I really like this blade. I've given away about 50 of them, so I have quite a few left. My favorite blade is the iridium super, but this is probably in a three-way tie for second with bolzanos and bleue extras. Part of me wants to order a few hundred more, should they ever go out of production. I recommend this blade very highly to anyone that wants something in the same sharpness category as iridium.

Hope it helps,
-- Chet
Top Bottom