What's new

Solo Shaving Cream, Extra Moisturizing, Regular

I recently volunteered, along with a few other guys at SMF, to receive a tube of this new shaving cream from Europe, and in return I agreed to use it and prepare and post an objective review. Now that I've shaved with it, here's the review.

Solo's attractively designed box describes it as Fresh, Cool, and Extra Moisturizing. Mine was in the blue box, marked Regular. I presume there is a menthol version, and maybe others. This is a new product, obviously for the European market. It comes in a box containing a 100ml plastic tube. It says on the box that it was made in the EU, and specifically in the UK. The end of the box gives the date of manufacture along with an expiration date, effective 3 years after the date it was made.

Below, you will see that I've taken some photos of the tube. There are 10 ingredients listed.

The product lathers very well. Lather was thick and rich, and took no time at all to create with the badger brush, in the bowl. The pleasant masculine fragrance is subdued, not at all perfumy, but quite fresh and cool to smell. It is not a sharp or overpowering fragrance, just the opposite in fact, and doesn't linger around after the shave is completed. The lather did last on the brush for a couple of passes, and I'd rate the protection and lubrication of Solo at about a 5.5 to 6 on a scale of 10.

In response to the claim that Solo has extra moisturizing qualities, I certainly agree with that statement, and in my case, after the shave, my face did not feel tight or dry, but instead, felt quite moisturized. So in that area, I'd not hesitate to rate Solo an 8.5 for moisturizing.

Overall, not knowing what the price range is, I find Solo to be a very good shaving cream product, and probably destined to do quite well on the shelves of the markets in Europe. I wish to thank those who provided it to me for purposes of this trial. It is my intention to pass this tube along to someone else who is also interested in sampling Solo Shaving cream, and maybe even interested in posting a review afterward.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I obtained a tube of this over a year ago online (though I don't recall where), because it was so cheap and I was ordering some other creams as well.

It's certainly not bad stuff, and I did prefer it to the Arko that I ordered at the same time. It whips up lather acceptably but I found it noticeably better to lather on the face, it seemed to become too "airy" in a bowl. It protected decently and was relatively slick to work with but it certainly wasn't comparable to TOBS or AOS creams. But, at it's price point, it definitely is acceptable.

As far as a batch of lather lasting, this was a gripe for me. It took more cream to get a 3 pass shave than others would. Two dollops worth at least for 3 passes, there just wasn't much left in the brush after each lathering and I had to add some. Another gripe was the quality of the tube, the nozzle under the cap cracked for some reason shortly after I got it and therefore I had to be very cautious with the tube to keep it from drying out.

The scent was nice and fresh, mostly soapy though, so don't expect anything characteristic of a more expensive cream.

Overall, I was pleased, and I finished the tube. I'd recommend it for a budget cream.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)