What's new

Skin Bracer Original

Pros: Smells good, cheap, available
Pretty good stuff. The scent is pretty straightforward, consisting of menthol and powder. Unassuming and pleasant enough that my finicky mother who as a rule doesn't like aftershave finds it pleasant.

Fights razor burn, smells nice, cheap. I'll probably keep some around.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent. Price, Chill
Cons: None that I can think of
Great little menthol kick sensation. Pretty nice scent. I think people are way too critical about aftershaves. Foir the most part, they are all the same thing and feel the same. So why pay $20 + per bottle? This takes away any redness I may get from razor burn. Awesome cooling feeling and a scent that is very mild throughout the day for me. (keep in mind i probably use a little more than most gents.) As far as alcohol burn, as long as you know how to properly shave with a D/E or straight, there really isn't too much, there will always be a little. Very good product.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice Classic Smell, Cheap, Easy To Find
Cons: A little too drying of the skin
Great classic manly scent. And the smells stays with you for a long time.

Super strong cooling effect. Which also seems to last a very long time.

Does not heal the skin as well as say Speick balm.

Dirt cheap and easy to find.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Cheap, easy to find, menthol
Cons: small format
I used this product for the few months. I was lucky to get a vintage 12 ounces bottle and used it. I then got a modern version of this AS splash. The difference is not that great. The product works the same vintage or not. The scent is slightly different but not by much. The new one smells a bit more modern but it's the same type of scent.

The menthol level is perfect for me in there. I love it. This is a fairly easy aftershave to find locally, most pharmacies carry it and it's cheap. I wish they would make a 250ml or 500ml bottle to cut even more on the price.

Overall classic and great competitor to Aqua Velva (also excellent).
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price and Smell
Cons: Plastic bottle
Great product...been around for years...I was 13 when I first used it...I was an early shaver..I just bought some Mennen's Cooling Blue after shave the other day...love this stuff also. I enjoy both ...I use it 4-5 times a day...it is refreshing to apply to your face...you can even smell it throughout the house!!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Mennen Skin Bracer is a winner on all counts. The scent is pleasant and has an awesome calming/cooling effect on my face. Love it! This is going on the shelf right next to my Aqua Velva.

I have gotten into drugstore AS lately and find that these "cheap" brands are superior to their expensive counterparts.

Cheap, readily available, effective AS....what more do you need???
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I try to never run out of the Bracer!:thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I tried Skin Bracer for the first time this week and I enjoy it. I actually prefer it over Aqua Velva... it has a powdery scent that reminds me slightly of Clubman...which is my favorite.

It has a nice cooling effect but no major freeze. I think it is a decent value for what it costs.
I've used all kinds of liquids and balms, but I never bought Skin Bracer...never even thought of buying it...until recently. I must say it's very good with all of the qualities I like in a liquid. It will definitely join my rotation. A classic for a reason.
Picked up a clone of this at my cvs for $3.99, I think, on a whim. I don't really remember using SB as a young man--I was an AV user. This stuff isn't too bad. Yeah, I could see where the cheap smell idea might come in, but I wonder if that's because it was just so popular that a lot of people wore it. Either way, the smell to me is pretty good--smells like a clean-shaven dude. Period. Clean, brisk, nice little feel on the skin, yeah, Skin Bracer's still pretty cool after all these years.
This stuff is great! Its inexpensive, widely avilable, works wonders for razor burn, has a nice cooling effect and has a classic barbershop scent what more can you ask for from a drugstore aftershave! The scent really brings back nice memories of how my dad smelled after a shave when I was a child, and that's always a plus for me, though maybe not for everyone. Highly reccomended and only around $5 :thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I freely admit that I like this aftershave, it works very well for me.

Price: 5 bucks for 7oz. is a steal considering it fights razor burn fast.

Quality: While it works well I'll subtract a couple of points due to the scent and the crappy plastic bottle with the funny lid that the manufacturer decided to go with.

Fights razor burn: like no other.

Cooling sensation: definitely there, good and healthy menthol kick for those who are into it.

Scent: This is the only down side. While not unpleasant it tends to be on the cheap smelling side. It smells nice and clean but it could use some improvement. On the plus side, it doesn't linger.

Efficacy: It works, fights razor burn like no other. Tones the skin and tightens those pores nicely.

Moisturizing: While it doesn't moisturize like, say, a balm, it does not dry my skin. I usually follow up with a moisturizer during the winter though, and you might wanna do the same if you have dry or sensitive skin.

Alcohol burn: Yup! it's there. I gave it a 10 because for me that's a plus. I enjoy a nice alcohol burn, followed by the cooling sensation, right after a how shower and a shave.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I took a flyer on Skin Bracer from the local drug store this week, and had my first go with it today.

I had never used this in the 70's, and I have been an Aqua Velva and Booster's guy since I got into DE shaving a couple of years back.

This is a decent product, easily the equivalent of AV, and the scent is pretty good.

For less than $4, it does what it supposed to: cooling, menthol, decent AS.

Like others, I wish it still had a glass bottle.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
D
This has become my favorite after shave. I think the scent is great, though I can understand people thinking it is cheap. The scent while awesome is not complex. I do like it a bit, and it doesn't last all day, so it will not fight with a cologne.

Of all the after shave's I have, this is the only one I would call moisturizing. The rest can only be used during the warmer months where my skin seems to be more oily. During the winter I only use balms, but I can still get away with Skin Bracer.

Oh and this stuff is available everywhere and it is very cheap. The menthol cooling is unmatched by any other after shave. The only after shave I think is better than Skin Bracer is the Spanish Floid Vigoroso. This is only because it has better scent and the cooling effect is almost as good. The problem with Floid is how hard it is to get in the states (I buy from Vintagescent in Portugal), and the price.

My best way to describe this stuff is Skin Bracer is what Aqua Velva should be. This is coming from an Aqua Velva fan.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is good stuff. In my opinion its significantly better than the Aqua Velva it typically sits next to on the drugstore shelf. Its not something I use every day, but I use it in my rotation each week.

PROS

Overall the smell is quite pleasant, nothing incredibly exciting but perfectly masculine.
It does really fight razor burn. This stuff has always calmed my skin down
Its very low price is great
It does not burn too badly at all. IMHO Aqua Velva is much worse
It is very cooling

CONS

Typically it does not moisturize so you will need to apply something else after it dries. I use Proraso usually.
Its bottle is a plastic thing which is too small. The effect is that the stuff looks cheap and nasty, which is quite a shame.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Still around!!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
First, why do we still have the "No Alcohol Burn" category?

Second, this has become my favorite aftershave, bar none (Master Bay Rum close second, see below). Love the scent; it's not too strong but you can still detect it hours later without offending others.

NICE alcohol burn and oh so sweet menthol blast. It's especially nice after a cold water rinse and then out of the bathroom into the cooler air of the house.

I know this "just" has propylene glycol instead of glycerin, but it is completely effective for me (slightly oily skin). Aqua Velva is right on par and Clubman dries me out like jerky.

I rank Skin Bracer as my favorite, closely followed by Master Bay Rum. Fortunately, my wife loves Skin Bracer. Unfortunately, she loathes Bay Rum. If it wasn't for that, it would always be these two ASL duking it out for lead in rotation.

Highly recommended.

Steve
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I did not like this stuff once because my dad liked it. Everytime I smelled the stuff, I thought of him. There was a time in my life that was an un-cool association. Besides, it was common and you could buy at any grocery store, drug store, KMart, Target, Walmart, etc.

Now I love it because I think of my Dad and I can get just about anywhere.

Strange how life does change.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Any of you born before 1975 should remember that tag-line. It was the commercial for Mennen Skin Bracer from the late 70's and early 80's.

And so goes the menthol of Skin Bracer! Much like Aqua Velva, this little gem is available just about everywhere for under $5.

If you can handle the instant burn, followed by the cooling menthol, this is it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Posted about the famous Aqua Velva as my old man bought some for me in the USA and he also got me some of this aftershave as well.
Kinda reminds me of Brut but has a real menthol punch which really fights any roughly shaved areas of the face. I really like this one as well, my partner really likes it and she doesn't pass judgement lightly so its gotta be good.
Top Bottom