What's new

Simpson's Tulip 4

I have a Tulip 3, three banded. I have another Simpson Super Badger brush also, an Emperor 2, but the hair on the Tulip is just unbeliveable, so soft to my skin it almost bring tears to my eyes of pure pleasure, it make fantastic lather from my Fitjar soaps, and the hairs has just the perfect stiffness so it does not bloom much at all. Almost reminds of a two band in the blooming department. I can`t tell you how much I love shaving with my Tulip 3, it is pricy, but I got perfection in a shaving brush.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
The 2 banded Tulip 4 I got last summer (2008) is my fovorite brush, a scrubby brush easy to get great lather with soaps or creams. The tips are scritchy on the face which is what I love and very springy when you press on the knot but still somehow soft.

Don't know if you can find the 2 banded ones anymore but someone will be selling used ones now and then, I would't mind a backup.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Well Ladies and Gentleman, the rotation has been completed.

See this thread for reference.

Initially I used the T4 from the day I got it to the end of the following week (everyday) about 10 shaves and maybe 5~6 'test' lathers.

Then I used my shavemac for a week. A huge difference in these two brushes. I like both but liked the feel of the T4 bristle better. I also found that I do indeed prefer a 'flat' shape of brush versus a 'lightbulb' shape. (All face lathering for the last six months or so.) The shavemac felt a lot softer overall. The tips and the entire hair was much softer. The shavemac has a sweet spot between that of lather hog an generous lather giver. The T4 has been generous no matter the lather technique.

After a week of the shavemac I got out my Kent BK8 (I should have got the size 12 but, anyways...) and put it through the motions of a 6 day shave week. I love my Kent!! It is an awesome, awesome brush. This brush has yet to be found wanting in any respect. A truly enjoyable week. I find the BK8 to be a fuller, more resilliant brush than the shavemac but it is probably my technique of consciously only using the tips of the brush so that it doesn't splay over my entire face. The light bulb shape of the shavemac seems to necessitate greater pressure when face lathering. (Again, this is my own personal technique.)

Now the T4 came up again in the rotation. I have again put it through the motions of soap and cream and super-lather; and it just is a fantastic brush. I love the light prickle of the 'White' hair along with the pillowy softness one gets when brushing the lather in a paint stroke motion. This week has also been a truly great shaving week.

proxy.php

Having used all three of my brushes I have to say that the T4 is my favorite. Granted the 'new' brush euphoria is probably still in effect. Nevertheless, I have three top end brushes that have individualy personallities that have yet to leave me high and dry in the lather department.

I wish that the Tulip came in even bigger sizes because I would go for an even bigger Tulip if it was offered. (A T6 would be nice! :w00t: ) But I digress; for a first Simpson brush I think I hit the jackpot with the Tulip 4 in two band 'white' hair. It definately has put a damper on possible SBAD. Although I would someday like an ivory version of the Tulip, I can always dream :wink:.

Thanks for your attention.

Seth

proxy.php

Discuss here.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)