What's new

Simpsons The Duke #2

Pros: Knot density, lathering ability
Cons: Price
After having shedding problems with my first Simpsons brush I decided to take a chance on the Duke 2. Armed with a gift card I splurged on a higher end brush. I felt pretty confident since I was buying a new brush instead of used like my first.

First impressions were just so so, it looked pretty small to me and the knot didn't look better than other best badgers I'd seen. I went ahead with some test lathers and it became apparent why these brushes command higher prices. The knot is so dense that you don't have to use much pressure to load a soap or lather on your face. And what lather it creates. Within a minute it whips up a great lather.

I've been using it for a couple weeks straight and it's breaking in nicely. The tips are getting softer, but it still retains backbone. Best of all it has not had any shedding issue. The only knock against it is the price. Even with a discount (I've seen it for $92 on some sites) this is the most expensive brush I've purchased. Still, if you want to treat yourself to a higher end brush this is a terrific option.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Great face lathering brush in Simpson's best
Cons: Can be a lather hog
Nice! Can use this as my daily driver and be perfectly happy. I use it only with soaps (loads well and makes great lather). This is not an elegant brush like some Simpson's (say PJ or Polo). This is a brush to use to tear up a puck and lay down lather!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great all around, every day brush
Cons: Haven't found any
This was my first high end brush and I'm loving it. It's a brush that will never leave my den. Although I do use my other brushes in rotation, I'm not going to lie, I reach for this brush most often.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Best face lather brush ever made ?!?
Cons: Not ideal for bowl lathering......
My best brush for face lathering shaving creams. It's simply the perfect brush for face lathering. Perfect size grip, knot and badger quality. Not super soft like Silvertip, but I don't like that for my face lather brush; yet very soft tips and ideal backbone. Whips up lather on your face in 30-40 seconds with just about any cream. I rate this brush 10/10 for the best face lather brush I have ever tested in my life. Thanks to Marco from B&B for tipping me to buy this particular brush for face lathering !
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Fairly dense knot, comfortably large yet still small enough to travel well
Cons: handle slightly on the small side
After using a few fairly inexpensive nie cheap brushes, it is a little difficult to think of a better brush. Its size is comfortably large and looks terrific on the bathroom counter next to a razor. (There's also something about calling your brush 'Duke'. Maybe it's just me.) The bristles are quite soft yet still comfortably scrubby, and lathers like no other. As a bowl latherer it is a fantastic brush. Once it really starts to make the lather the bristles become slightly floppy and lose the tiniest edge of their stiffness. Not a lot, but the loss is still there. This and my RV custom are my go-to brushes, and as far as I am concerned for the modest cost a better brush just isn't out there. This is an amazingly high-quality brush and easily stands up with brushes twice the price. Unless you are allergic to badger hair or have ethical objections to hair brushes, there simply is no reason to not own one of these fantastic brushes.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
The Duke 2 in best is a very well made brush, great hair and handle, and works quite well.

Price: Reasonable. Compared to uber expensive brushes, mine came in around 75USD and should last a lifetime. I'm very happy with this brush.

Quality: High. The knot is well shaped and uniform and doesn't shed. The handle is beautiful and flawless.

Density: Just right. I found the Rooney 1/1 entirely to dense which is why I never purchased that. The Duke 2 however has the perfect density to me.

Stiffness of Tips: Springy. By no means floppy the Duke 2 provides a comfortable stiffness that easily shreds hard soaps.

Softness of Tips: Soft but comfortably scrubby. You can feel the brush working which I like.

Ergonomics: Excellent. The handle feels perfect in the hand and the knot size is good for the face.

Latherability: Very good: Whips up good lather quickly whether soap or cream. Is a touch hoggish but not to bad.

Overall: This is a great brush for the face latherer. This is my high end brush and I'm very happy with it. It didn't convert me from boar brushes though.:w00t:
I bought my Duke 2 in Best badger for eight two dollars, which is the most I've paid for a brush. It is a very dense brush and it will shed some hair for the first few times.
The Duke 2 has plenty of backbone but very soft tips and that's the main difference between cheaper and high end brushes such as Simpson in Best. The design of the handle is very attractive and it is one of the reasons that I bought it.

The Duke 2 is a great well rounded brush perfect for face lathering and good for bowl lathering. :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
I have the Duke 2 in Best Badger and Lee gave me a great price as usual. I have used it with both soap and creme and it works great. The only reason I don't use this brush more frequently is that I have 8 other brushes that I also love to use. This is one of only 2 best badger brushes I have, yet it is still remarkable in the comfort and functionality department. This could easily be the go to brush if I needed to choose one. But since it don't, it is part of the rotation..........

-Scott-
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
My thanks to the B&B staff and Lee at Lee's Razors for this wonderful brush. Compared to my old stiff boar this brush is fantastic. It holds water quite well and lathers the cream like mad. It took no time at all to work up a wonderful lather with this brush.

The bristles are quite soft and feel great against the skin. I expect to get many years of service from this great brush.
Top Bottom