What's new

Simpsons Persian Jar (PJ) 3 in Super

My second favorite brush behind my Simpson Polo 10. However, this is the most well-rounded brush in my arsenal. It's good for both creams and soaps, and like all Simpsons, it's built like a tank, only shedding a few hairs during the first week of use. As far as price is concerned, I give the brush a 10 due to the very reasonable price offered by Lee. The brush lathers like the dickens and is just an all-around pleasure to use. If you are considering a larger, dense brush with soft tips to use with both soaps and creams, look no further than the PJ3. It will provide you with years of enjoyment.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
When I first started reading all of the user comments about Simpson's brushes, I did NOT want to like them. They were way too expensive and made by a company who refused to list their brushes' measurements. They were shave brushes made by shave snobs, for shave snobs. Every good comment that I heard about the Simpson brush line merely aggravated me more.

The positive comments just kept coming, and when these were followed up by the big price drop, I couldn't resist any longer. I just had to see what all the fuss was about, so I emailed Lee (Lee's Razors) and struck up a deal.

Now, I've waited quite some time to post my review on this brush because I wanted to really put it through in depth testing. I've lathered every soap and cream that I can get my hands on and I have done so both in a bowl and on my face. Surprisingly, I cannot find a single deficiency with this brush. From the base of the handle to the tip of the bristles, this brush is a masterpiece. I think you could get lather out of a rock with this baby, and it would be a Luxurious lather.

I have no problem recommending this brush to anyone. The price is not cheap, but when compared to the quality of the item you are receiving, it is justifiable.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
I feel the PJ line is really the crown jewel of the Simpsons offerings - the PJ3 being the largest of the PJ series surely does not dissapoint. While it is more "luxurious" than the PJ2, the PJ3 is much heavier, and quite a bit larger than the PJ2, and as a result it does not have as light/natural a feel as the PJ2. While I cannot say one is better than the other - due to the size of the PJ3, it makes it more of a "cream" brush versus a soap brush, or a soap/cream brush like the PJ2. Regardless the PJ3 is a tremendous brush, and is truly a joy to use. It is both handsome, and efficacious, and exudes a level of quality that makes the owner truly proud to wield such a quality piece.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
For me, this is just an OK brush. I don't really understand the Simpson's mania around here. Even with the recent price drops, I think there are better brushes out there.

The bristle feel is unique, and you either love it or hate it. It is not nearly as luxurious as a SR silvertip, Shavemac, etc. And don't get me started on the horrible stamp and sticker that they put on these pricey brushes.

My advice, if you care about performance and luxury, look elsewhere. If you are in love with a name, perhaps Simpson is for you.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
After a month or 2 with my first love, the Savile Row 101, I decided it was time to "move up" to one of the "big boys." Thanks to the patient advice and counsel of several B&B members (you know who you are! Thanks!), I ultimately pulled the trigger on the Simpsons PJ3 in Super. Lee of Lee's Razors was most helpful in getting me the brush in record time (3 days from initial email to delivery!)--thanks, Lee!

I broke in the brush with a dollop of C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream, and went to work. I'm still working on adjusting my technique to the characteristics of this new brush--it holds tons more water than the SR101, and also tends to hold more of the lather up in its breach--something I never experienced with the SR. This is the only thing keeping me from giving this brush a perfect score, and I may yet resolve this issue by modifying my technique as I "learn" the brush. Don't get me wrong, I still get lather for 4+ passes out of a small drop of cream--even this mornings Nancy Boy cream produced big lather; more than the SR had ever been able to muster.

As you can see, the brush is starting to bloom nicely, and this after only 3 shaves. From what I hear it may get quite a bit larger--I'm already contemplating a new bowl for lather making.

But beyond the productivity of this brush, the thing that tickles me about it is the sheer, stunning QUALITY of the thing. The density of the knot is unbelievable to me--I just don't understand how that much hair can be packed into the handle and still manage to be so durned soft to the touch.

I also love the feel of the handle--the fit and finish is superb (although I'd been spoiled as the SR is also outstanding in this regard), and I love the "veddy veddy" British look of the whole package, down to the slightly cockeyed label sticker. Its just the right size for my hand, and a nice change from the smallish grip of the SR101--just what I was looking for.

I'm also pleased to report that there has been absolutely NO smell emanating from this thing--none, nada, zippo. Very appreciated!

All in all I'm very pleased with this brush, and extremely happy with my decision to purchase it. Having such an obviously high quality tool with which to shave each morning has given me a new thing to look forward to each day, and isn't that what this whole thing is really all about? Not just getting a better, closer shave, but carving out (another) small niche of quality in one's daily existence.

Mitch

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php
Top Bottom