What's new

Simpsons Commodore

Pros: Great lathering
Cons: Price, shedding
After ordering a Simpsons Case brush from Amazon, I saw a used Commodore X2 best badger on sale for $30. The owner said it had never been used as a daily brush and was selling because he had upgraded to a larger brush. So I took a chance, promptly cancelled the Case and bought the Commodore.
First the good: Lathering is terrific. I mainly face lather soaps and this brush creates a good quality lather quickly. The tips are soft with nice backbone and it has a dense knot. It also has a handle that works well for me.
Second the bad: When purchased new it can be pricey (around $65) for a smaller brush (22mm knot, 45 mm handle, 47 mm loft).
Finally the ugly: Shedding issues. The first couple times, I did not lose any hairs. Then 3-5 per shave, after a month 10-12 each time. Maybe this is due to the density of the knot and it'll stop (if so I will edit this review). Maybe I got a dud knot, but it is frustrating to pick loose hairs off my face and out the the brush.
In the end if it weren't for the shedding issue this would be a phenomenal brush. Fortunately if you buy this brush new and see excessive shedding, Simpsons will replace it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I've been using the commodore x1 for a few weeks now.
I tried it first with williams figuring it's not the easiest lathering soap especially with our hard water. The lather was easily the best I've ever gotten from williams. When I used it with my trumpers rose soap the lather was amazing. Cella loves it too. I'm mostly a face latherer with soap and the x1 does this better than I thought it could be done. The brush size is perfect - plenty of lather for three passes + and none of it in my ears. The handle size is good for me too but I do have small hands. The shape allows for multiple grips.
I do also face lather creams and sometimes bowl lather both soap and cream and the x1 does a good job there too. But the brush is definitely at its best when face lathering with soap.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I have all three Commodores - X1, X2 and X3. It started with the X3 and I liked it enough to buy the other two. They are all great. Excellent value within the Simpson range. Even the X1, which is quite small, is comfortable in the hands thanks to the handle design. Highly recommended.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
1.00 star(s)
I also have a Commodore, but in the largest "X3" size. On my sample, the knot is 24mm in diameter, 48mm in height. Among the larger Simpsons brushes, the Commodore is probably the best deal, giving most of the quality of, say, a Duke or Polo, but at least a quarter cheaper. Even at a quarter cheaper, the Commodore isn't exactly cheap; West Coast Shaving has it for $82 in Simpsons' Best Badger.

The printing on my brush looks cheap, with a lot of flashing. Perhaps it is just my exemplar. But for $82 one expects better. However, that is my only real gripe. The hair quality is superb, and it doesn't shed. The hair has excellent backbone, yet the tips are quite soft, and it lays down a fantastic, thick layer of lather like a road paver spreading soft white asphalt.

Ergonomically, it's very good. The indented lower handle is ideal for a fingertip grip for bowl latherers. The fan shape of the knot whips up thick lather easily, and gives good coverage quickly. The handle weight is well-suited to the brush size; I warn you, however, that with the bottom indentation as great as it is, the brush is top-heavy if set on its handle, and will tip quite easily, making a mess. Ask me how I know :angry:

Overall, the Commodore X3 is an excellent buy in the "Large Top Quality" brush category. I could be very happy with only this brush, if the Shavepocalypse wiped out all my others forever.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
So, a couple of weeks ago I decided I needed a brush to travel with, my edwin jagger BBB was a tad larger than I like for that. I was looking for a relatively cheap, but quality brush, in best badger, it had to be small as well. Because the EJ BBB is my previous go-to brush I'll compare it to that.

In steps the Simpsons Commodore X1, 90 mm in height, best badger and reasonably priced at £30.20. I used to bowl lather, but because this brush is so small and agile I've been face lathering since the second or third shave.

Price: £30.20 for a quality best badger brush is reasonable, for comparison an Edwin Jagger BBB costs £23.

Quality: This is where the brush really stands out, the knot has lost two or three hairs since I received it, those were in the first two shaves.

Density: Perfect, not floppy, not too stiff, just perfect. Enough backbone to pick up soaps, but soft enough to mash up against your face with no discomfort. A little bit less stiff than an EJ BBB.

Tips: Very well finished, no scritchiness, very soft and gentle but, as mentioned, the hair still has backbone. Far less scritch than an EJ BBB.

Ergonomics: Despite being a small brush, and me having big hands, I have yet to drop it, or feel discomfort during lathering.

Latherability: AWESOME, lathered my AOS unscented soap, to a very nice, dense lather. I tried it both in a bowl and on face, worked like a charm both times. Far better on the face than an EJ BBB, about the same in a bowl.

Normally I shave with soaps, but for fairness's sake I tried it with TOBS Lemon & Lime cream, it lathered that very well too. But it was a pain to stick the cream IN the brush for face lathering, the bowl lather was as good as the EJ BBB.

As I said, this is my go-to brush, I'm smitten, keeping this one for a LONG time.

Sorry I don't have details on knot size, but I don't have a ruler to hand. Hope this review helps you guys.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)