What's new

Simpsons Astor best badger

Price: The Astor best badger set me back 55 EUR at “The English scent” in Berlin, equalling roughly 80 USD, thus placing it in the middle of the Simpsons brushes.

Quality: Don’t let the price fool you, this is a good quality brush. According to another member of B&B, this is an old Coates brush, rebranded by Simpsons, but I have not been able to confirm this. The handle is long and hand turned, light in weight and in beautiful mock ivory. The brush has been in daily use for 2 ½ months and has not dropped a single hair.

Density: Nice and dense, not a Shavemac, but way better than the Muehle I used before. I have not been able to find the specific size of the knot, but it is probably round 22 mm in size.

Stiffness/Softness of Tips: Stiff and scrubby, precisely to my liking. Mind you, I have yet to try a silvertip, so I don’t have that to compare with. This brush, however, gives my face a nice scrub every morning.

Ergonomics: Total size is 107 mm, handle is 60 mm. The handle is very well balanced, lies good in my long fingered hands.

Latherability: Works extremely well with both creams and soaps. I’ve been using it on both Trumpers and Taylors creams with fantastic results, and it works equally well with the Mama bears and the Acca Cappa White moss soaps I’ve been trying.

Summary: The Astor is a well made brush that can be highly recommended for beginners. I had little experience with wet shaving, started out last fall, but I have been able to make great lather from the very beginning with this brush.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)