A small beast of a brush!
Pros: Overall proportions
Price
Quality
History
Beauty
Function
Cons: Not for big hands
Here in 2022 bigger is better. 26, 28, 30mm knots….I’m sorry but these are just overkill for me! I’m a face-latherer who doesn’t like to waste product. I also like to really get in there by scrubbing, swirling, and painting to perfection, all impossibilities with behemoth sized brushes!

The knot of this brush is no wider than 19mm with a loft of roughly 40mm, tiny by comparison to what’s popular these days. It’s very well packed but not overly so, like a Berkeley or Duke which have way too much hair for me. This 55 knot is just right. Like with many badgers it takes several shaves and dry cycles to really bloom out. The knot on this brush appeared too small to me for several shaves and then one day it just felt more comfy and after I rinsed and combed it out it looked like a different brush!

This is a great brush. I waited for a coupon and got it from Pasteurs for less than $70. You could argue it’s too little brush for what you’re paying but I disagree. It’s an efficient and comfortable to hold lathering machine that exhibits pure class. Enough said, if you like small brushes…this is the one to rule them all!!!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)

Attachments

• 3BD5E1A6-4A0B-4C1C-A086-F6E310564F7A.jpeg
    3BD5E1A6-4A0B-4C1C-A086-F6E310564F7A.jpeg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 17
If you love small brushes, you need to have one of these. Just some quick comments about my ratings, before you guys start thinking I've shorted my new favorite brush. For what it's worth, I've had over a dozen Simpsons now as well as a few Rooneys and Vie-Longs, so I like to think I know my brushes fairly well...

Price: I was skeptical. The 55 has the same size knot as the $38 Special but with an $89 price tag. But it is easily worth the extra money.

Quality: Top notch. This is where half of the extra $50 goes. The knot on this brush is a perfect bulb where my Special looks like the moon, covered in "craters" of poorly sorted, shorter hairs. The handle is nice and heavy too, easily heavier than my Berkeley, which is substantially larger.

Density: This is where the other half comes in. There is enough hair in here to make easily two Specials and a Wee Scot. I would compare it favorably to a Rooney 1/1.

Stiffness/Softness: I hate this rating. You get Simpsons Best hair, which isn't the stiffest, or the softest, but the (IMHO) perfect balance of the two. The hair and density give you plenty of backbone while the tips are a beautiful cream color that feels absolutely perfect.

Ergonomics: 10/10 if you have small hands. I'm rating this brush for my 5'7" frame so it gets the 10. If you are 6'4" like my brother with hands to match, you will probably want something a little larger.

Latherability: The only problem I encountered here was user error. I've been using small, normally dense brushes so I have a tendency to put too little cream on a large or very dense brush. Once I got that sorted out, lathered like a champ and let it go no problem.

Get a Fifty Series. Your SBAD will thank you. :thumbup:
While my review technically gives it a 91%, I have to say this is the best brush I've owned bar none.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)