What's new

Simpson PJ2 Best Badger Brush

Pros: handle, size, softness of tips, backbone, ease of building lather
I have been enamored with this handle shape for a long time, and finally found an opportunity to buy one. The handle has very nearly lived up to my expectations, which I admit were a bit high.

The hair has creamy soft tips, with moderate backbone. The loft is fairly tall, making it better-suited for bowl-lathering than face-lathering. It builds huge mounds of lather very easily. and gives it up with minimal trouble.

My only, ONLY gripe about this brush is the shape, which is easily enough dealt with. The knot on the PJ2 opens into a huge fan, rather than a bulb shape, which I tend to prefer. This is a matter of personal taste, and one I don't hold against the brush. Fans of fan-shaped knots will love this brush.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
2.00 star(s)
The PJ2 is the most hyped brush on B&B. In my personal opinion, it isn't really warranted. Is it a decent brush? Sure. Is it that much better than other brushes in its price range? Absolutely not.

The good:
  • Very ergonomic and attractive handle.
  • Manuevers like a sports car around your face
  • Lathers soaps and creams with impunity

The bad:
  • Not enough hair in the bundle for my taste. I find it underfilled for the price
  • A bit on the small side
  • Not nearly as soft as other brushes

The Simpson best bristle has a medium stiffness and softness. If you want luxury, this isn't really it. I have PJ3 in super, and this is a different beast entirely - very firm shafts, soft tips. A real scrubber. The best bristle is more in line with what other manufacturers offer.

My net: for the money, get another brush, be it Savile Row (my choice), M-P, Shavemac, etc.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I bought a PJ2 best about 10 yrs. ago. It was my first high quality brush and it still gets plenty of use even though it's starting to get a bit thin now. The gold "Simpson" label is still completely intact but it turned dark green years ago. I guess that the "gold" is really brass and that it has tarnished somehow. It looks OK to me - seasoned. As for performance, the brush is outstanding for hard soaps and easy to use. Even now it's thinning it still measures up to the best brushes out there. Never tried a Simpson super so I can't comment on how that compares.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Thanks to a few enablers here at B&B, I finally broke down and Contacted Lee at Lee's Razors and ordered my PJ2. I've lusted after this brush for quite some time, due to the handle design. I call it the "Mae West" brush. That being said, I'm in love with Mae! I've used this brush exclusively for the past week. I've tried it with Taylor's, T&H, hard soaps, soap sticks and glycerine soaps. This brush just flat out performs. The tops are soft, but bristles stand up under pressure, and it holds more water than the Titanic. In fact, with it's first use, I had to start my lather a second time. On the first try, I got soup. The brush is not heavy, but has a good feel to it. Then handle is easy to maneuver and work with, and it is well balanced. My only complaint, which I have heard with all Simpson brushes, is their labeling and imprinting. The brush is first class. The labeling and imprinting is 3rd class. So I applied clear nail polish over the Simpson label and tossed it in the rotation.

If you want a brush the feels good, looks good and builds superlative lather...look no further. The Simpson PJ2 does it all very well. In fact, I believe I hear it "whistling" for me now.

Randy
Top Bottom