Simpson Chubby #2 - Super

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

The infamous Simpson Chubby… really the .500 Magnum of shaving brushes. If you were to pack a brush any denser, or have any greater a badger/knot size ratio it would probably change the rotational axes of the earth. This brush is 4 pounds of badger in a one pound bag.

With most shaving brushes, there are subtle differences from brush to brush – however most fellas who have never used a shaving brush before couldn’t tell you the difference in feeling from a PJ3 and a 26MM shavemac... but let me assure you – if you have EVER used a Simpson Chubby… I mean EVER, you’ll never forget it – yes it is THAT different.

Basically this is a tremendously packed shaving brush – which is a double edge sword. Some like the incredibly invigorating feeling of a tightly packed knot – however this is SO incredibly dense – it is almost unwieldy. When you first use it, you actually have to change your lathering techniques and cream/water ratios etc around this brush… it’s almost like learning how to lather all over again. This brush is NOT for the meek, it’s a lot of badger.

Bristle – Somewhat soft at the tip, but a thick/firm shaft and AMAZINGLY dense knot. This brush is a MONSTER with shaving soaps, but can be a little tricky with shaving creams.

Handle – Way too small and “chubby” and isn’t very comfortable. This is one of the more uncomfortable shaving brushes to use. Feels sort of strange, as there is so much hair with such a tiny, squat handle. I have large hands, and it makes this brush tricky to wield.

Quality – This particular brush is expertly crafted and I have had NO problems/issues with it, however Simpsons are well known for have “spotty” craftsmanship – and unfortunately – I have gotten more “dud” simpsons than good ones. Worst thing is… some times it take a year or two for them to start to fall apart – so buyer beware, as these are NOT cheap brushes!

Overall – It’s certainly an interesting and invigorating experience to use a Simpson Chubby, but due to the cost, handle, and the “intensity” of the brush – I wouldn’t recommend this brush to most chaps. Sure – some fellas are Chubby Junkies, and they are very, VERY different, however they are not for everyone... in fact, probably not for most. It’s a neat brush and I really like it a lot, but I don’t use it very much and I wouldn’t miss it if I got rid of it. YMMV

To discuss this review – please see THIS thread!

displayimage.php

displayimage.php
Price
2.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
While I have the Chubby 3 in Super, it's more or less similar. The quality of these Simpsons only matched in my humble opinion by the Rooney's that I've held is beyond reproach. The only drawback is that the nice looking sticker affixed comes off after a few uses.. The amount of water and soap you can hold in this brush is enough to shave 5 men without a re-lather.

worth every part of $300+
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I have a Chubby 3 in Super, and I like this brush very much. I have large hands, and the handle suits me just fine.

I have only used it a cople of days, and what you said about learning how to make lather again is correct! It holds a lot of water, and when you get it right the brush make so much lather that you can shave a company:w00t: It is so incredible packed with wonderful hairs that I think it has at least 2 times the hairs of my Tulip 3.

I`m in love already, but this is a VERY large brush, and probably not for everyone.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I only dare go as large as the 2, and I find that a monster. What on earth is the 3 like?

Anyone care to post both side by side?

I'm undecided on mine. It is a lot of money. It feels like you've bought more brush than you actually need, if that makes sense. It certainly feels very different to any other brush I've owned. The closest would be the Stubby 2, which is not as large but I feel is denser and slightly firmer.

I'm debating selling all my other brushes and just keeping my Chubby! Anyone here have the Chubby as their only brush?
jhclare;1763529 said:
I only dare go as large as the 2, and I find that a monster. What on earth is the 3 like?

Anyone care to post both side by side?

I'm undecided on mine. It is a lot of money. It feels like you've bought more brush than you actually need, if that makes sense. It certainly feels very different to any other brush I've owned. The closest would be the Stubby 2, which is not as large but I feel is denser and slightly firmer.

I'm debating selling all my other brushes and just keeping my Chubby! Anyone here have the Chubby as their only brush?

Yes. I use the Chubby-1 as my only brush at home. No regrets.
I have used a Chubby for 16 years of wonderful lather. The handle is unusual compared to most brushes as it is short and squat. This may feel awkward to the first time user. I think it helps me to be precise with such a large knot. The control it gives is remarkable. It is not ideal for those who use a deep but small diameter bowl.

It holds enough lather that I could turn into a werewolf and still shave myself BBS for a beach party...
My review is for the Chubby 2 in BEST. Purchased - brand new.

For lathering on the face this is THE brush! The head on this thing is enormous and can hold a lot of lather! I have had my Chubby 2 for about a month and have not noticed any "quality" issues. A few hairs have fallen out.. but as I understand it....that is normal while breaking in a brush. Otherwise no significant shedding or hairs sticking to my soap has occurred as others have reported on modern Simpsons. This is my daily go to brush and would recommend this brush to anyone with $150 burning a hole in their pocket! :thumbup:
Price
2.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Joel,
I realize that this is not a new post but I am looking for a new brush...use only hard soaps and face lather. Currently have a Rooney 3/2 and a BK8. I have been considering this brush, but this review gives me pause. How about a Rooney 1/2? I would appreciate your expertise in this area.
Top Bottom