What's new

Simpons Berkeley #46

Pros: Great Value for the Money
Cons: None
I really like this brush. It's become a real favorite. To start with, I generally like smaller brushes - in the 95mm height range with comfortable handles and with smaller knots - in the 19 to 20mm range. My other favorite brushes are a Plisson #10, European Gray Badger and a Savile Row 3120 Silvertip. Both of those brushes are in that 95mm sweet spot and have highly ergonomic handles.

I use creams probably 80-90% of the time and bowl lather. The only previous Simpsons I'd owned was the famous Eagle G3 with Best Badger. I found that brush much too dense with a thicker knot than I like. It was just too much of a lather hog for my tastes. Since then, I'd stayed away from Simpsons, thinking they were too dense for me and suitable mainly for face-latherers.

I purchased the Berkeley off the BST from a member who said he'd hardly used it and it was in pristine condition when I received it. I rolled the dice on this brush considering my aforementioned reservations. I'm glad I did. It's a great brush for creams and perfectly suitable for bowl-lathering. It has just the right amount of stiffness along with soft tips and gives up it's lather very well. Before I received it, I was concerned about the shape of the handle, but there was no need for concern - it's very comfortable to use.

I can't recommend this brush much more highly; it's terrific brush.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I have been reading a lot of the reviews here on B&B before I make my purchases so I thought it was time for me to contribute a little here. I also had a hell of a time finding information on this particular Simpson's brush is another reason, so hopefully this helps someone out. This is my first review. Be sure to look at the attachments for pictures. I used my Rooney 3/1 for size comparison.

I picked up this brush so I would have a good quality, somewhat cheap brush to use at work. I am at work for 3 days or more a week so this brush will see a lot of action. The Simpson's Berkeley 46 is available in Pure and/or Best Badger as is the Simpson's Case brush. I went with the Pure Badger due to the fact I wanted more of a scritchy brush for work that would exfoliate better than my Super I use at home. I originally was looking at some of the name brand travel brushes that comes with their own travel tube. Here are the other brushes I was contemplating.

Simpson's Case in PB w/ travel tube
Omega #21047 w/ travel tube; Badger/boar mix

These brushes were in the same price range (somewhat) and seemed to get great reviews. The Omega looked awesome and I will probably pick one up when they become available again. I really liked the Simpson's Case brush mostly because it came with a matching Simpson's travel tube. I talked to a gentleman from one of the online retail stores and he had nothing but good things to say about it. Although he did say it was like a dollhouse brush. That made it not appeal to me and sounded way too small. Now onto the brush I am reviewing here.

Knot Size 20mm - Handle Length 45mm(1.77 inch) - Hair Length (Loft) 45mm(1.77 inch) - Overall Height 3.55 Inches - Handle Diameter 33mm(1.30 inch)

Granted it's still very small but not as small as the designated travel brushes above.

Price: I paid $36 + $6 for an aftermarket travel tube which didn't work out because it was too big. My wife told me it looks like some male enhancement tool if you know what I mean.

Quality: This is a good quality brush even though it's the bottom of the barrel as far as Simpson's go. Again, I'm using as a work brush.... good enough for me. I have had one shed hair and I have used it everyday for a week along with a few test lathers. It seems to be getting softer and more supple as it gets broken in.

Density: Very good density for the money. Not as dense as my Rooney 3/1 in super but still quite dense. Not much blossom to this brush. See attachments.

Stiffness of Tips: Very good backbone due to the short loft. I actually think this brush works better with soaps and face lathering although still really good with cremes.

Softness of tips: I rated it a 7 because the brush is pretty prickly. This is what I was looking for so it's all good. If you are looking for something softer pay the extra $12 and go with the BB version.

Ergonomic: Brush feels great in my hand. It's noticeably smaller than my Rooney but not too small. It's perfect for a travel brush.

Latherability: This thing lathers like a champ. It seems to excel with soaps and face lathering but works great with what ever I can throw at it.

As I mentioned above this is a perfect brush for travel or everyday use. The tube I bought with this brush is ridiculously too big for this brush and looks silly. I have been in touch with a representative from Vulfix via Email. He told me this brush would fit in the tube they sell with the Simpson's Case brush (very nice looking match). He is sending me one for next to nothing + S&H. All in all exactly what I was looking for and am very happy with my purchase.:biggrin:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)