What's new

Shogun super badger with onyx handle

A very soft and comfortable brush, I like to massage my face with it. I agree to the 1st review, it performs better with creams, in fact I use it only with creams and I'm very satisfied....the Shogun only needs an almond of cream to make lather enough for 4 passes. If you want softness and a different handle I recommend you this brush
proxy.php
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
1.00 star(s)
When I first saw this brush at The Shaving Shack homepage I knew that I just had to have one for my rotation. The overall virsual appearance and the notion of having a brush with a stone handle just appealed highly to me.
I have been using this brush for a while now, testing it with various creams and soaps. I must say; I have not been disppointed. Neither by the appearance nor the performance of this brush.

proxy.php

Pre bloom

proxy.php

I asked Dan at The Shaving Shack to pick a brush with an interesting pattern and heavy veins. He sure did :smile:

proxy.php

The knot; nice and dense

proxy.php

Post bloom

proxy.php

Comparison shot with my Kent BK4 and the respective boxes they came in

The measurements of this brush are:

Bristle diameter: 60 mm
Bristle length: 53 mm
Knotsize: 21 mm
Overall length: 110 mm
Handle Lenght: 57 mm.
Handle diameter: 35 mm

Price
I really think that at a price point of £ 32.99 (approx. $ 50) this brush is truly a bargain. T&H sells supposedly similar brushes from $ 99 to $ 119.

Quality
Even compared to my Kent BK4 this is a high quality brush. Everything is top-notch. The knot is even - more than can be said about my BK4 - the handle is 100% symmetrical and the polishing is flawless. Even the packaging is quite nice; a simple, but sturdy, red cardboard box.
The brush shedded one hair the second times I used it - it has not shedded a single hair since! That is quite impressive. My BK4 still sheds a hair now and then.
Conserns has been raised about the durability of the stone handle. To that I must say; that due to the heaviness and nature of the onyx, this brush will most likely break if dropped on a hard surface - and it may even break your bathroom sink. Just don't drop it!
The "Shaving Shack" logo and the "Super Badger" printed in silver on the handle wears off very quickly, but I actually find that a positive detail, as it was actually degrading the overall appearance of the brush.

Density
There are denser brushes out there but still this brush is very dense. A little denser than my BK4 maybe.

Stiffness of Tips
Being super graded badger hair the tips are quite soft, maybe even a bit floppy. But, the relative short loft compensates greatly for that.

Softness of Tips
Not quite as soft as my BK4 (silvertip) but still very soft and quite luxurious on the skin. I like the fact that it is just a tiny bit more exfoliating than a silvertip.

Ergonomic
The big question; how ergonomic can a brush with a stone handle be? The answer is; quite! The handle is indeed heavier than an acrylic handle, but I find it neither a burden nor an advantage, actually, apart from maybe the first use, I hardly notice the added heft of the handle. The shape of the handle is highly ergonomic, it will not be my last brush with that handle shape.

Latherability
This brush is a good all-rounder. I have tested it with Proraso SC, Musgo Real SC, Omega SS and Mitchell's Wool Fat. No doubt this brush excels with creams, but it is no bad soap brush either. If I used hard soaps exclusively I would probably have gone after the "Zen", a pure badger version of the same brush. Generally this brush is a better than average performer; perfect for creams and good with soaps.

I had actually expected this brush to be a "special occasion" brush when I bought it, but I find myself reaching for it suprisingly often. This brush has more to it than good looks, it is also a solid performer and a bit of added luxury to the everyday life.

Regards.

Jakob

Discussion about this review can be found here
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability